Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Blood Red Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blood Red Game

I looked through the archives, and I couldn't find anything on this, so if I am rehashing old news, please forgive me.
    ----
    I recently re-read the Blood Red Game, and I couldn't get a thought out of my mind: The Game feels like a meta-plotline for the Eternal Champion.

I kept thinking that all of the "characters" that Renark plays in the BRG are the EC, as if the other EC stories are BRG scenarios that he has to win to save humanity.

Am I over-analyzing this? :D After all, I read this after reading nearly all of the other EC books.

I realize, of course, that there are several other possible "entry points" for the EC meta-plotline. Jagged's off-hand statement at the End of Time about simulating the whole solar system and "exiting time", Elric's commentary about using dreams, Jerry and Hira's discussion about time cycles, Corum's more philosophical musings, etc. etc.

Yes, the notion of us all being in a 'dream' or a 'game' isn't of course original to me but it's one that has always appealed to me. Writers of fiction who wear many hats inthe course of writing a book can frequently be found wondering if all the world's a stage. I developed the Multiverse graphic novel out of the ideas I originally started exploring in The Eternal Champion and The Blood Red Game (sometimes called The Sundered Worlds -- it appeared in two parts under both titles in Science Fiction Adventures). That's why in the US edition, because I had the rights to all the books (Penguin had some of them when I did the UK edition) The Eternal Champion and The Sundered Worlds appeared together as being the bases of pretty much all the other books!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
      Yes, the notion of us all being in a 'dream' or a 'game' isn't of course original to me but it's one that has always appealed to me. Writers of fiction who wear many hats inthe course of writing a book can frequently be found wondering if all the world's a stage.
      Oopsy! I didn't mean to sound accusatory! I apologize! --- I enjoyed your expositions on this theme, particularly in the End of Time series.

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
      I developed the Multiverse graphic novel out of the ideas I originally started exploring in The Eternal Champion and The Blood Red Game (sometimes called The Sundered Worlds -- it appeared in two parts under both titles in Science Fiction Adventures). That's why in the US edition, because I had the rights to all the books (Penguin had some of them when I did the UK edition) The Eternal Champion and The Sundered Worlds appeared together as being the bases of pretty much all the other books!
      I haven't read (or even found) the graphic novel yet, but I'll now put it on my list of must-haves. 8)

I was hoping that there was more to the Renark storyline. As I recall, Erekose makes several direct references to him. Other than that I don't know of any other Renark texts.

Thank you again!
      S.D.

Comment

I might add that the second ether series fleshes out similar themes and concepts, as well. And Jack K. is an great character to take you on that particular ride.

Comment

Working...
        X