Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

KKK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    We should use all resources at the same rate that they are being laid down. There can be no future any other way.

Leave a comment:

• opaloka
    replied
    It's a horrible idea to use things we can't make more of, but I think it's mostly about habitat, it's a numbers game, we can make things more efficient and stop waste etc., and it won't help us coexist with the planet or the other inhabitants.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Until we are all able to live without oil, coal and gas, which are finite and are also killing us, I see no long term future for this civilization. 200 years max, which is why we shouldn't waste it on stupid things.
    When the lights go out I just hope we don't unleash our ids in one final murderous massacre.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego_and_super-ego
    Speaking of lights going out, Atticus, I hear humans have yet another obstacle to overcome in order to survive a bit longer. That is backing up the energy grid, in order to prevent all electrical power on Earth going down for a few decades from a nasty sun flare effect.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    We probably deserve to die out. What is unfair is we're taking a lot of innocent creatures with us.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Until we are all able to live without oil, coal and gas, which are finite and are also killing us, I see no long term future for this civilization. 200 years max, which is why we shouldn't waste it on stupid things.
    When the lights go out I just hope we don't unleash our ids in one final murderous massacre.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego_and_super-ego
    Last edited by Atticus; 08-22-2015, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Guzzlecrank
    replied
    Pyat's long-lost grandnephew?

Hyperbolic as it may seem, this Guardian headline is accurate:

White supremacist convicted in plot to kill Obama with 'death ray' device
    Yep: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ath-ray-device

Maybe the losing defense strategy was based on a theory that "they" put a piece of metal in his stomach?

Leave a comment:

• krakenten
    replied
    If you want that something better, perhaps a long searching look at how we got to where we are is in order.

The XX Century was a catastrophe, and there are people hell-bent on doing it all over again.

Go ahead, sing a few numbers from 'Annie' and tell me how bright the future will be.

It'll end in tears, it always does.

Life is a struggle to maintain the tolerable and continue existence That's all we get.

So buy your dog a burger, give your cat some catnip and give your lover a bouquet Enjoy the little we get while we have it.

All is temporary, all is illusion-so enjoy what good times there may be.

(lick up the honey, stranger, and ask no questions)

Leave a comment:

• Reinart der Fuchs
    replied
    Instead of hoping for something better, many of us have the audacity to make something better where we can. Hope is on the flip side of the coin of despair. Action causes change. Instead of resigning to the-present-is-the-present-because-of-the-past, we can create a future that balances it out or improves it for everyone. There's nothing but open road ahead.

Leave a comment:

• krakenten
    replied
    The real motivation of the Klan was a rejection of the Other-they wanted to impose a total conformity. This was also part of the Fascist, Falangist and Nazi agenda.

Frankly, the shock to the system caused by the two big wars had a lot to do with it-the slave army of conscripts internalized the values they got from the nearly rabid NCO corps(the best noncoms are nearly psychotic with barely suppressed rage, this, in turn comes from the chronic hangovers so many of them have. The role of alcoholism in military and naval affairs is little studied.)

War veterans are also unhappy(I should know), and unhappy people want to blame somebody. If they can get hold of that somebody, they want to hurt them.

Just as Hitler turned Jew-baiter after WWI, a lot of Americans, with the traumas of the Civil War and the two world wars fell into a revanchist mindset. Somebody has to suffer(and the American South was really cut up in the Civil War, then subjected to invasion, occupation and Reconstruction's cruelty) Impoverished, grief stricken and often ill-treated(not that they didn't ask for it, the North lost a lot of people, too) the south decided to blame the Negroes. Not long after, the North followed suit, as blacks came north looking for jobs.

The Depression did not help one eensie bit. Angry is bad, angry and hungry is even worse.

The American Civil War was a dress rehearsal for the two Great Wars to come . It even started in Baltimore(the traditional try out town for shows).

It might also be argued that, there was only one World War, with a long armistice to rest and regroup.

These things are in the past, beyond recovery. We can only hope for a better future. As wise Confucius said, "Rotsa Ruck!"

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Can't remember how much of all this I put into The Laughter of Carthage. The Klan did a great deal of its recruiting through lodges like the Orange and Scottish
    Rites. People often joined for business reasons. With those disappearing the Klan ranks dwindled, reduced to hard-core racists. The Klan had the strongest political clout in Indiana.

Leave a comment:

• krakenten
    replied
    This is really silly.

Maybe we would want to drop the letter K from our alphabet?

String three of them together, and people are soiling their drawers. Really,isn't this giving a little too much power to the ringworm and pellegra set?

The Klan is small, its membership mostly marginal and marginalized. The media gives them too much attention, and that attention preserves them.

Just as the neo-nazis are withering away, so will the Klan, if we deny them our attention.

The thing that drives the Neo-Nazi/Klan/Survivalist movemenmts is the utter tyranny of the liberals. Humorless, devoid of common sense and absolutist, they vex the ordinary man and woman to near madness, and the only outlet for many is in the ring-ding right.

After experiencing the foaming at the mouth displayed by the Demoncrats in American cities, and the PC/PI insanity of the leftie intellectuals(orthodoxy is my doxy, heterodoxy is your doxy) combined with their slogan,"Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up!" has left whole generations with nowhere else to turn. How else to oppose the endless parade of hare-brained schemes being rammed down our throats?

Not that most of these jamokes are much better- just like the liberals(who hate freedom, oppose any free choice (Anything not compulsory is forbidden!)and generally want everyone to toe their line, OR ELSE!

What happened to the center? To moderation? When did the motto of the United States become, "Sit down and shut up! Our way is the right way, yours is stupid, dirty and crude!"

(A vision of Sarah Palin floats before mine eyes, and I shudder! Imagine her and Rush Limbaugh on the same ticket, AND WINNING! Lawdamassey, somebody get the Oxygen Destroyer, quick!)

I'm glad my race is nearly run, the next hundred years or so promise to be downright infernal.

Some say the Human Race is only one or two generations away from extinction. They may be right. Or perhaps we're about to experience a reset (read, Dark Ages?)in our culture?

Tough sledding ahead, friends!

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Wednesday.html

Leave a comment:

• krakenten
    replied
    Those were great days for secret societies-my grandfather belonged to several in his youth. It was a way of maintaining some sort of social identity in a time when many workers were itinerant.

End up in a strange city? Head for the lodge hall, you're among friends. Like Facebook with no electricity. Sic transit and all that.

Most of that has withered away, here in Baltimore, the headquarters of the Oddfellows Lodge(founded here) is now a bank branch. I've been inside, it must have been magnificent, once.

Those days are gone. The Moose, the Eagles, the Elks, all of them glorified beer saloons and restaurants.

The Klan would be long gone, it was dues paid by FBI snitches that kept them solvent. Their pathetic plots were allowed to progress until there was a case for the prosecuter to trumpet during an election year.

James Lee Burke points out the dual nature of the Klan-how the local people would first approve, then despise them. A lot like bikers or criminal gangs-and a lot like the Tongs or Yakuza.

Useful idiots, and disposable tools, once, now mostly wandering ghosts.

As you did deeper into this stuff, "the Illuminatus Trilogy" starts to make sense. Justified Ancients of Mummu, you say? Esoteric Order of Dagon? John Dillinger Society?

Dark corners full of dust and vermin, old, broken things that nobody can identify any more.

And thus do we return to the Land of Lovecraft.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    The modern Klan really only came into existence after Birth of a Nation, itself based on a novel, The Clansman.

Leave a comment:

• krakenten
    replied
    For those who never noticed, the KKK draws much of its symbolism from the night riders of Ireland.

There were several groups like the White Boys- who wore women's clothing and powdered their faces and hair with flour(to foil identification)and the dreaded 'Peep- o-Day Boys', who loved to inflict pitchcappings and floggings.

Both sides used these tactics.

The Klan can be plainly seen in these organizations. The overdone and silly Klan customs are derived from the Freemasons. Ever wonder why it's called the Scottish Rite? Jacobites rejoice! "DeMolay, thou art avenged!" Yeah, right.

The burning cross was a Scottish clan's call to arms.

And while Bedford Forrest was a military genius, do remember he was an illiterate slave dealer. He had a lot of help organizing the Knights of the Golden Begonia(or whatever) into the first Klan.

Now, we hear of the Klan going plain-clothes.

(want a good laugh at the expense of the Klan? Get hold of 'O Brother, Where Art Thou'! "What kind of a man would use the Confederate flag for a miss-ile!'" The music is great, too.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X