Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Book dimensions, U.S. & U.K.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pebble
    replied
    Standard UK sizes are:

A format - 170 x 110mm
    B format - 190 x 128mm
    Demy or C format - 210 x 138mm
    Royal - 234 x 156mm

A & B are normally mass market paperback. Apparently when there was the RRP in operation the size would determine the selling price of the book e.g. A fromat is £7.00 and B format is £8.00. This would apply to hardback or cased books e.g. we printed Jordan's first biogrpahy and the RRP should have been £18.00 per copy, yet the price was elastic over the period it was selling like hot cakes.

You should find that Amercian press sizes are based on Imperial sizes, but there are dsicrepanices, hence the difference in book sizes between the UK & US/Canada.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    EC editions

The regular paperbacks are mass market (i.e. normal size paperbacks). If you have bought hardbacks or 'trade paperbacks' they are pretty much the same size in the US and UK editions, though with different dust jackets.
    JaydeDesign have copies of all different editions, I gather. Write to them for prices.

Leave a comment:

• Goblin
    replied
    Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    I can only comment on the White Wolf editions, since I've never seen a Millenium edition. Can someone who knows chime in?
    The Gollancz/Millennium paperbacks are around 8"x5". The White Wolf/Borealis titles I have handy are 8.5"x5.5" or thereabouts. There are many book dimensions, though, and no real "standard" trade paperback or hardcover format (if there is, then no one seems to give a damn about it).

Best,
    Luأ­s

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    I can only comment on the White Wolf editions, since I've never seen a Millenium edition. Can someone who knows chime in?

Originally posted by Paul
    Weren't some of the earlier millenium paperbacks also oversized? I have an old "The Dancers of the End of Time" paperback from millenium that is about as tall as the US editions.

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    Weren't some of the earlier millenium paperbacks also oversized? I have an old "The Dancers of the End of Time" paperback from millenium that is about as tall as the US editions.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Re: Book dimensions, U.S. & U.K.

Actually, this statement is partially correct. The White Wolf Omnibus was produced as normal hardback editions. Then when the hardback run was complete, they were released as oversized paperback editions.

Originally posted by StarvingArtist
    Just a dumb question while I wait for my remaining E.Champion books to arrive in their U.K. format. Does anyone know if they are similar in size to their American counterparts? Or are they more along the lines of the usual paperback? For those of you that may be unfamiliar with the American printing, they are roughly the size of a hardcover book, but in paperback format... Just curious how they will all get along on my bookshelf once the series is completed.. =)

kyle b.

Leave a comment:

• StarvingArtist
    replied
    Thanks for the info. =)

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    They are like standard UK paperbacks, not like the taller US ones.

Leave a comment:

• StarvingArtist
    started a topic Book dimensions, U.S. & U.K.

Book dimensions, U.S. & U.K.

Just a dumb question while I wait for my remaining E.Champion books to arrive in their U.K. format. Does anyone know if they are similar in size to their American counterparts? Or are they more along the lines of the usual paperback? For those of you that may be unfamiliar with the American printing, they are roughly the size of a hardcover book, but in paperback format... Just curious how they will all get along on my bookshelf once the series is completed.. =)

kyle b.
Working...
X