Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Robert Bloch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Bloch

Another favourite author of mine is Robert Bloch. I tend to prefer the early stuff in the pulps, the fantasy horror and straight horror fiction he did before finding fame with Psycho, although he's always interesting. Mike, did you ever meet Bloch?
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

am sure Bloch wrote episodes for Star Trek....or did i dream it.......(For some reason,when i see the name Aral Vilsn I cant help thinking of Mike Yarwood....(maybe i watched too much crap telly in the 1970's) :?
    Carpe Diem
    Vym
    Seepage from deep,black,brittle experiments which failed and transformations too hard to find.
    "I was overcome and turned to red"
    Duster's dust became the sale.
    Lucifer the light.
    A restless motion came to move and then subside.
    In endless knocking at the door-It is time.

Comment

I did meet Bob Bloch, but didn't know him well. I remember Fritz Leiber telling me how he, Bloch and one or two others, were interested in literary experiment and writing something other than the prevailing modernism appearing in literary magazines when they were young. The only places they could get published, mainly, were in the pulps. He reckoned they slipped into writing generic pulp fiction that way. Outstanding generic pulp fiction, I must say!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Robert Bloch was very entertaining as a writer of stories and novels. I have a 3 volume "collected stories" of his that gives a good feel for most of his career and accomplishments. It did leave out the famous story, "Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper," which Harlan Ellison admires so much, and which I think is pretty good. (Got it in another collection.)

Most people have read Bloch's famous story, "That Hell-Bound Train." Also pretty good, and typical of the some of the twists he liked to employ.

I'm not so sure of Bloch's level of achievement in the movies he wrote. That may not have been his fault, of course. A lot of people are involved in the making of a movie.

Hitchcock, of course, didn't employ Bloch to do the screenplay of his novel, Psycho. Interesting to speculate how he might have done it differently. The book is different in several respects.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by Vym Cotex
          am sure Bloch wrote episodes for Star Trek....or did i dream it.......
          No dream. He wrote 'Catspaw,' and 'Wolf in the Fold.'
          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Working...
          X