Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Mystery of the Black Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: The Mystery of the Black Blade

Hmmmm.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ef=mostpopular

Originally posted by Rob Hansen View Post
    agreed

Comment

It's of Melnibonean origin and the inscription translates "please return to Elric".
      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

The inscription reads:

+NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI+

Or, in modern terminology,
        "Souls for Arioch!
        Copyright © 10, 191 Melnebonéan Era, Mournblade Technologies"
        Miqque
        ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Originally posted by Miqque View Post
          The inscription reads:

+NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI+

Or, in modern terminology,
          "Souls for Arioch!
          Copyright © 10, 191 Melnebonéan Era, Mournblade Technologies"
          "If this sword should dare to roam
          Box its ears and send it home"
          The Witham runs through my town by the way.

Comment

"I'm not the Black Sword, I'm a very naughty dagger."

Comment

Since we're discussing a black blade, it occurs to me that newer members who weren't around back then might find this reworked page from four years ago amusing:

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=24189

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
                Could the inscription be related to Finnish ?
                You mean something like, "If I stab you you'll be finished"?

I think it's early text speak for, "no damned socks, chewed right de sword violet".

Comment

The inscription is a spell of power that no one can read except the person who coded it.

However the purpose of this spell of power is now obvious: It creates confusion and perplexity and fear of the unknown on anyone who casts their eyes on it, a highly potent advantage in a sword fight to the death.
                  Last edited by Atticus; 08-16-2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

The VI could be a six, in Latin numerals.

Comment

It's really quite simple. Basic Old Norse instructions, transliterated into the Roman alphabet for ease of inscription. Roughly translated, it reads:

"Pointy End Toward Enemy"

Comment

When you take the negative and play it backwards you can hear the following:

"A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure. Lets go to the Colonies!"
                        Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

SwordsRUs

The Witham also runs through where I'm currently incarnated. I've seen this sword in Lincoln Museum and it is very obviously a knight's broadsword, so a lot smaller than Stormbringer (and still very hefty). And it isn't really black, it's the colour you'd expect a sword to be.
                          It really, really is a runesword or in kiddyspeak, a magic (probably Christian magic) sword though.
                          The most interesting thing to me is - and there are several others from out of there, though this is the biggest and best - despite that, people - and very posh, at least potentially educated people - were carrying on an Iron Age religious practice of sacrificing things in water over 1,500 years later under a completely different and fairly intolerant religion.
                          It's comparable to but even more surprising than (from Fenland Notes and Queries) 19th century Lincolnshire "cunning folk" still praying to "Wod and Lok" - they were a secret and transgressive community. Knights weren't!

Comment

While the Scottish highlands and islands are often seen as very strictly Christian, in the midst of all that has been a goodly mix of folklore (a.k.a. charms a.k.a. magic). A great wee team looking into such are the Carmichael Watson project at Edinburgh university.

Comment

Working...
                            X