Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey im a freshmen in college and my high school concelor saw mw reading this book by philip pullman and she said her husband liked to read fantasy novels as well and he suggested moorcock as being one of the best. i went to a used book store and picked up the dancers at the end of time series and i just finished them. i was wondering what everyone else's favorites were. thanks

All things Elric...
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Welcome!

I second PWV-- Elric! I fell in love with Elric when I was in high school. I started with Elric of Melnibone' when I was about 15 or 16 and read my way through to Stormbringer. The Fortress of the Pearl is one of my favourites.

After Elric, my favourites are Corum, von Bek (especially the Dragon in the Sword), and Hawkmoon.

Cheers,
      Marie-Bernadette
      WWED -- What Would Elric Do?

Comment

I'd have to probably say Elric, although Corum is also great.

Comment

The End of Time series.

Comment

Well, I haven't read the full catalogue yet, but I'd say that Dancers at the End of Time, Nomad of the Time Streams and the Cornelius books are my favourites... ooh, and the Second Ether trilogy. If I had to pick just one, I'd say Dancers because I like a good romantic comedy... especially one with time travel, power rings and rampaging aliens!

I also very much enjoyed Pullman's Dark Materials, but that's not what you asked. :)
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

The second ether is my favorite, but I also loved Brothel in Rosenstrasse and King of the City. Anything Cornelius, Dancers, Bastable, and Elric would also be high on my list. That sounds like a lot, but considering MM's output ... :)

Comment

The first book by Mr. M that I read was 'The Winds of Limbo' so, while I enjoy all the series immensely I do have a soft spot for all the stand alone, peripheral novels.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Probably The War Hound and the World's Pain.

Comment

I have no favourites really. I've yet to read some of his other stuff. But i really liked Behold the Man and Dancers. the Elric saga was a first though!

Comment

Von Bek, all things Pyat, absolutely anything in which the lovely and dangerous Mrs Persson appears, and Dancers at the End of Time makes your heart ache fit to bleed.
                      Oh, everything. Read it all.

Comment

Yeah! Read it all!
                        Then read it again, and again, and again...
                        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by steeltsar
                          Von Bek, all things Pyat, absolutely anything in which the lovely and dangerous Mrs Persson appears, and Dancers at the End of Time makes your heart ache fit to bleed.
                          Oh, everything. Read it all.
                          Thanks for saying that about Una, steeltsar. No discussion of MM's work would be complete without her. As you say so well, lovely and dangerous...

Comment

Thanks for the nod, Doc.
                            I remember extolling MM's virtues to a good friend, who then went away and read that sharp little will-o'-the-wisp meditation Behold The Man and came away a little puzzled. I like it but I also think it can be a deceptive book to get a handle on... I can't help feeling that my friend should be urged to meet Una.

Comment

Working...
                            X