Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Return of the ZZZZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Return of the ZZZZ

Hey Pard,

Long time, no speak. Hope everything is going well. Glad to hear that the movie deal is going well, and I hope it all works out for you and we get a good movie out of it. I'm sure you wont let those money zealots in Hollywood butcher poor Elric too much. And Elric thought HE was evil? ;)

Speaking of films, I got woke up early by friends this morning and was dragged off to see the last part of Tolkien's *cough* "epic". Pretty much more of the same, long boring battle scenes, OTT Gandalf, absolutes of good and evil, etc. Nearly dozed off a few times, as I'm sure you understand. I was never a fan, as you know, but I do think they work better as movies than books, I mean, it's better to see a city or a forest or whatever than have to be bored to death by twenty pages of descriptive writing about it. Minas Tirith looked nice though, makes me think they could do great things with CGI for Melnibone, and it definately opened up the market for fantasy movies again, and helped give us an Elric film. There were those usual parts of ROTK that always made me a little miffed, the slaying of the witchking of Angmar, the ONLY relevent thing a woman does in the entirety of the trilogy, and the "evil elephant riding black men from the south" that are defeated by Rohan and Gondor's white armies, but Tolkien was a product of his time I guess. The inherant sexism and ethnocentricity probably never crossed his mind. No doubt people will rave about it, but to me, it's still a weak ending to a weak trilogy. I saw it got voted Britain's best read again, and in the future i'm sure the movies will make a lot of best film lists, a shame really. If they can convince people to read 1200 pages of Tolkien, why can't we persuade them to read 400 of Satre, or Camus, Faulkner, Mann? The list goes on. Fighting a losing war I guess, we can only hope they at least decide to look deeper into the fantasy world and find your work.

Take care,
    Paul

Yeah. I thought I might see it, but Linda refused point blank.
    The Elric movie is moving forward and I think we should see a splendid Melnibone, among other things! The Weitz treatment captures the spirit of the stories very well. Sometimes I think it's a good thing the Prof is dead. He would have been horrified at seeing people dressed up as his characters lining up for the movie. I have, as you know, nothing against him and wish that he could have enjoyed some of the profits from his work.
    The new edition of Wizardry and Wild Romance will be out early next year and I won't repeat anything I've said (or added) in that... But there's a reason people would rather read about hobbits than poor whites in Mississippi. One of them involves you morally in the world, the other pretends to involve you morally in the world. Guess which one I think it is...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I'd be the first to agree with you there pard.

I was once having a discussion with friends about our favourite books, and one of them said "The Lord of the Rings". I challenged them on this, as is expected, and they got quite angry, saying that they loved it because its about friendship, courage, heroism and love. I remarked its easy to be heroic in an imaginary world where good and evil are absolutes, and that the cast of TLOR wouldn't last five minutes in the real world.

I still stand by that statement.

Paul

Comment

It is kind of silly to judge something by standards of something it doesn't pretend to be. LOTR was simple and transparent in ideology but then again so are a lot of legends, myths, and fairy-tales. And to critique Tolkein for being a sexist and a racist is a little over the top I think. I think he was just going by the classic notions of chivalry as far as women, you know the fair maiden rescued in the tower sort of thing. And to suggest racism for "black-clad" warriors is just ridiculous to. Mr Moorcock must be a bigot too. Wasn't Stormbringer black? The concept of black representing evil is a age old idiom and existed long before the evils of slavery in the South.

I was never a fan of Tolkien and actually never even read his works. I thought the movies were enjoyable if you take it as what it was meant to be. Just the sheer spectacle of it all was breathtaking. I only hope the Elric movies will receive the same treatment.

Comment

People who turn the books into a kind of religion are the ones that I have an argument with. The Nazis spoke frequently of courage, heroism, brotherhood and self-sacrifice, but it didn't make them good people...
          Well, not to most of us, at any rate. This isn't to suggest Tolkien was a Nazi, but he was of that class which saw the Nazis as a bulwark against Communism, so you could say his bias was towards the right rather than towards the left. To suggest that Tolkien was a fascist is, of course, nonsense. My argument, of course, is always with those who see those virtues as being somehow good in themselves. They are only good if they are used in the pursuit of good causes. And what is good to one group is evil to another. Thus my preference for Law and Chaos as the opposing forces which must be balanced in the multiverse. For Law and Chaos you can also read Right and Left, Reason and Romance and all the other qualities which in balance are best for the majority!
          I've discussed elsewhere, in another thread, why Camus is not likely to sell as well as The Lord of the Rings. The more original the writer, by and large, the less commercial. I always remember that William Blake only sold about two copies of his work in his own lifetime. Self-publishing at its finest, too!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Your idea of balance is the mid term, a virtue for Aristotle (is this the way you call him? For I know him by the name of Aristأ³teles). Each virtue is a pinnacle between two vices.

Buddhism thinks similar, no?
            \\

Comment

Re: The Return of the ZZZZ

Originally posted by Paul
              I mean, it's better to see a city or a forest or whatever than have to be bored to death by twenty pages of descriptive writing about it.
              Im glad im not the only one who thought that there was a little TOO much description.

Comment

Working...
              X