Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Phil Dick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant
    replied
    ... but does PKD-A dream of electric sheep?

Gr.,
    Ant

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    Good likeness. He probably would have appreciated the irony, too.
    (If coming face to face with himself wouldn't have tipped him over the edge!)

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    That is right scary, that is... :?

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Philip K Dick - An Android Portrait

Something for Philip Dick fans:

Originally posted by Hanson Robotics
    In an unparalleled technical collaboration, a team of artists, writers, engineers, literary scholars, and freethinkers are creating a lifelike, android portrait of one of America's well-known science-fiction writers Philip K Dick.

Click for Full Article

Leave a comment:

• Dead-Air
    replied
    Well, there's certainly nothing better than when you can grow as a reader, only to find your adolescent favorite has grown even moreso as a writer and even brought one of your all time favorite characters up to a new level! ;)

Well, I suppose actually getting to converse with and sort of get to know said author online would be better...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Couldn't agree more, DA. In fact I'd be an idiot NOT to agree.
    Ahem... :)

Leave a comment:

• Dead-Air
    replied
    I think it is quite possible for an author to have flaws to their writing, for instance underdeveloped characters, and still be a great read with substance to their work. There was just an extensive write up in Salon about the phenomena of H.P. Lovecraft's fiction, and there's another author who had a huge impact (imagine China Mieville's books without that influence!) but who was far from perfect as both an individual and a writer.

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2.../index_np.html

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up, on your 'Stigmata' review in the Guardian, Mr M. I must admit, I read the book back sometime in the late Seventies and came to the central concept quite fresh. The possibility that what we think of as Reality might not only be just an illusion, but also someone else's illusion imposed upon us, seemed a bit of a shocker at the time.

Since then, I've watched the onward march of Rupert Murdoch's media empire: building his very own version of Reality, through finding out what people want and expect, then feeding it back to them, warped through the distorting lens of his print, broadcast and digital media outlets. Colonising people's dreams and desires, feeding their prejudices, subtly, or not so subtly, altering perceptions of events around the Globe. It's the sinister figre of Palmer Eldritch that's come to mind as an analogy.

A more literal than metaphysical reading of the book, I suppose. Although, it's the metaphysical implications that seem so sinister and add edge to the paranoia.

Michael Moorcock's Review of The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, The Guardian (March 15, 2003), link:
    http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/...914290,00.html

Leave a comment:

• Dead-Air
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    I was looking forward to reviewing Stigmata for the Guardian a while back (review should still be in their archived books pages) and found myself deeply disappointed by the writing and characterisation. Not something I feel about all Dick's books (at least I hope not -- haven't reread anything for a while). The idea was okay, though had become familiar (no doubt thanks to Dick) and in the end I gave it a rather poor review (against my policy -- since I only take books for review I think I'm going to like). Hasn't the best sf begun to give us more rounded characters and interesting relationships ? I'm curious, since I don't read that much sf any more (except for the odd review).
    Yeah, I think David Brin, Kathleen Ann Goonan, and Greg Bear are three who are writing undeniable SF with stronger characters (Bear sometimes more than others,) and of course China Mieville who's on that SF/Fantasy crossover tip.

I agree about Dick's characters, his best ones were always the obviously autobiographical paranoid cynics with wife troubles. Now Wait for Last Year had one of those, as of course did Valis. A lot of his speed books have characters that seem like role-playing game NPCs (non-player characters, usually created by the GM as filler), Ubik coming to mind as one of the worst examples in an otherwise great book. I always found it best to read Dick on a couple different levels, if his whole book wasn't brilliant literature (and oftentimes it was) then there was at least usually a brilliant plot-line in there, though it'd likely be a variation on one of his favorites.

Leave a comment:

• Vym Cotex
    replied
    movies

I think there are a few P.K.Dick 'movies' eg total recall,minority report,blade runner,paycheck,screamers and others

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I was looking forward to reviewing Stigmata for the Guardian a while back (review should still be in their archived books pages) and found myself deeply disappointed by the writing and characterisation. Not something I feel about all Dick's books (at least I hope not -- haven't reread anything for a while). The idea was okay, though had become familiar (no doubt thanks to Dick) and in the end I gave it a rather poor review (against my policy -- since I only take books for review I think I'm going to like). Hasn't the best sf begun to give us more rounded characters and interesting relationships ? I'm curious, since I don't read that much sf any more (except for the odd review).

Leave a comment:

• Dead-Air
    replied
    I've read so many of his books I'm afraid to pick up one as I may have already read it (I prefer not to reread things as there's always so many new "first times" out there.) This is of course exacerbated by the fact that he tended to reuse quite a few of his own ideas, especially during his speed days. My personal favorite is actually the first one I read, Now Wait For Last Year which is the best piece of drug related fiction I've ever read.

As for adaptations of his books to movies, I cannot wait for Richard Linkletter's take on A Scanner Darkly! http://www.austinchronicle.com/issue...tring_all.html

Screamers while low budget was actually surprising true to the story from which it was based. Unfortunately, not his most amazing story, so the movie is just o.k. Blade Runner really wasn't bad, and is the only movie he saw based on his work (screening it just prior to his death.) He liked it a lot actually. I've always found it a tad overrated, but can at least appreciate the style in the direction. I don't do Schwarzaneger, so I haven't seen that one.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich is one of several PKD books that really stick in my mind. People are offered a sort of immortality through the use of a new drug supplied by the space traveller, Palmer Eldrich. Unfortunately, as people relive hallucinated scenes of their past life, their remembered friends and loved ones start to take on the attributes of Eldrich, as he begins to colonise their memories.

Rupert Murdoch always reminds me of Palmer Eldrich, as every media asset he touches takes on Murdoch Empire attributes.

Leave a comment:

• manmiles
    replied
    I finished reading 'The Man in the High Castle' a few weeks ago and was thrown by it. I'd expected a typical dystopian text with people trying to rebel against the regime in charge. Instead it was simply a series of viginettes of people LIVING in what we term a dystopia. But the frightening part was, they were doing much better technology wise.

I think that the more interesting dystopian fiction comes not from people fighting the system but from living in the system. Each day is just a day and the only rebellion is the dreams of the mind...

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    I have a very fond spot for PKD and never knew Mr. M had such a hand in his British publishing career. Though given the nature of the multiverse, I shouldn't be surprised!
    For an insight into the man and his driving forces, Lawrence Sutin's biography is a very good read. As are PKD's five volume short story collections, many of which have biographical notes by the author.
    I recently finished reading the above mentioned collections. They proved to be a fascinating document of a writer's evolving style, and a starting place for many of his novels.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X