Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Essay on your work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul
    replied
    My personal interpretation of the Eternal Champion is, that like Sisyphus, he is the Absurd Hero. He is faced with the absurdity of his situation, that he must fight for law against chaos over and over in many different incarnations forever, although the balance will always shift regardless of the outcome, but he continues to fight regardless just as Sisyphus continues to push his rock up the mountain. Perhaps I should write an article about that one day.

Paul

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks. Really appreciate the reply and the the tip, have got to check that one out.

Bye/ Kristian

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I'd go for sardonic. As you know (I think) I'd done a Freudian/Jungian analysis of fantasy fiction before I wrote the Elric stories, so I did set out to do something in what they call a sub-text, these days. The stories are open to a number of interpretations, however, and yours is a good one, as is Francois Gallix's, for instance, where he sees the Eternal Champion in
    Nietzschian terms, as it were. Others have gone for a Campbellian approach. One of the things I try to do in my fiction is make it open to many interpretations. That's why the Jerry Cornelius stories are written as they are, for instance, and Jerry began life as a rewrite of the earliest Elric stories.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    erhhh

that should actually be "ironic", wouldn't make much sense otherwise...was a bit tired when i wrote it...

/Kristian

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    !

Wow! Interesting stuff, man, but don't let the books get lost in the jargon...

I'd query your term "sarcastic" because it's always struck me as a very NEGATIVE or DESTRUCTIVE quality or force and the energy in MM's books, however deeply they plumb the depths of human despair or depravity or however satirically they colour the evil and the corrupt, is powerfully POSITIVE.

All best!

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Essay on your work

Essay on your work

Dear, Mr Moorcock.

Currently I'm writing an essay for my Bachelors Degree in literature. This essay is a theoretical application on your work, including the Multiverse at large and the character Elric in particular. The essay is based around a theory of mine that: Your creation of the Multiverse including the Eternal Champion and the elements of the Champions structure and upbringing, i.e the Lover, Companion and the Weapon, can be read as a sarcastic equivalent of a heterosexual matrix (discourse) which through the use of the rules of the Multiverse plays out the role of a matrix, as in gender studies. Since english is not my native language, I'm sorry if I'm being a bit complicated in writing this. Anyway, I get a feeling that the anguish and torment of Elric, can not only be read as a sensation of his failure to live up to his Melnibonأ©an heritage and disbelief of himself, but also as a sensation of not being able to fit in. Elric, an epitome of the intellectual, non-brawny clichأ©-hero, is in the role of Eternal Champion not the right man for the job so to speak. As in the discourse of fantasyliterature and our everyday own lives we tend to have that clichأ© held before us, before anything else might be imagined. Can't the torment of Elric be an expression of the ability not to fit, in this mould of Man? I mean, myself, I don't tend to see Elric as a VERY masculine character, he's pyshically challenged, and has a sort of lack of certain masculine attributes, he's more of a gendered man, who struggles to find his own place in life, his own position in the discourse. An aspect of Elric I'm also thinking about is Stormbringer, to me, the sword is an aspect of the Jungian Shadow and thats not only in physical appearance. I mean, the sword, is in many ways, Elrics outlet, in terms of frustration and anger, or caused by the sword. In Stormbringer, to me, Elrics found a connection to his masculinity, a chance to regain what he never really has had in life. A connection to his position in the matrix.

Now, do you have any thoughts, suggestions, criticism on this subject?
    Last, but not least, I'd also want you to know that I'm an avid fan of your work, and I am really looking forward to a future Elric movie.

Sincerely yours/ Kristian
Working...
X