Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Image Gallery Gets a Second Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to me you should just put up a permanent link to a site like this one (which you posted a while back, Berry). (I suppose the owner's pwermission should be sought) :

http://www.sfcovers.net/Magazines/NW/

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
      Originally posted by GuyLawley
      And I just got The Great Captains by Treece with an MM intro. (I bought this for the Treece! The intro was a bonus!)
      Guy, was that the copy that was up on eBay recently from 'bobshrunkle'? If so, then I saw that auction and was quite interested because (as mentioned above) I recently got the Savoy The Golden Strangers off eBay as well not so long ago, but when I saw the handle of the 'current bidder' I had a feeling it might be yours and didn't think it was worth getting into a bidding war with one of 'our own', so to speak. :)
      Yes, that was me; well spotted! And thanks for not bidding against me. I'm all in favour of not bidding against each other, unless one of us has already been outbid by an outsider and made it clear that the item has gone out of his/her price range.

Aral Vilsn and I already have an informal arrangement of this sort. (I've also got one with a US Sunday comics dealer; we trade pages off eBay when we get duplicates, he gets first dibs at the US auctions.)

Originally posted by demos99
      Must say that Cawthorn's illustrations in the Treece are excellent, but also a little different from what I've seen from him before. Looks like he may have used some sort of duo-tone board to give a 'shading' effect to the drawings.
      Yes, I noticed the same thing with the Duo-Tone board. I used it myself a fair bit in the 1980s but id became very hard to get hold of after that. Not sure Cawthorn's style was really suited to it, though. IMHO he should have gone the other way; starker B&W, forget the grey tones. (But it was such fun to use Duo-Tone!)

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
        On the subject of the Treece intros, I have a couple of them that are detached from the original Savoy editions and could therefore be scanned easily, subject to Mike's permission. Slightly foolishly I disposed of the books themselves several years ago but kept the introductions (!). I'd like to get the books back again at some point, but it does mean I can scan the intros without damaging the books... :roll:
        This seems to illustrate a very Multiversal kind of truth; every cloud has a silver lining, and every silvery thing has a cloud hanging around it.

BTW, plenty of copies of The Great Captains on ABE at the moment:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...&x=34&sortby=3

Comment

I suspect Great Captains can even be bought new in the Savoy edition. Check the site. I know there are some Treece and JT Story books still in print from Savoy.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Seems to me you should just put up a permanent link to a site like this one (which you posted a while back, Berry). (I suppose the owner's pwermission should be sought) :

I'm concerned that this link will vanish in time as they so often do.
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
              I suspect Great Captains can even be bought new in the Savoy edition. Check the site. I know there are some Treece and JT Story books still in print from Savoy.
              Unfortunately, Mike, the Savoy sites lists all four Treece books as being 'Out of Print'. :(
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The Treece books are great. I currently have The Great Captains and Red Queen, White Queen and could do scans if required. Last time I looked at the Fantasy Centre's list there was a complete set for sale, in case anyone's interested.
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore

I'm concerned that this link will vanish in time as they so often do.
                  Yus, I thought of that just after I posted, Berry.

Comes back to time and bandwidth, plus I don't know if any of us has all the NW issues to scan (I certainly don't though I have acquired a random sampling over the years).

Maybe since Mike owns the copyright (?) we could "borrow" the scans from that other site???

Comment

Through a stroke of luck, a copy of Tarzan Adventures I won on ebay that was listed as Vol 7 No 23 turned out to be Vol 7 No 22, which features the first Sojan story Sojan The Swordsman. I've scanned the cover and title page in the Limbo album:

[broken link]

I've also put in a comment mentioning that the story first appeared in Burroughsania (although it seems to have been expanded slightly as well as being retitled). Nice cover on this Tarzan Adventures issue, anyone know who did it?

I've also just noticed that Hantor as it is in the original story publication is changed to Hatnor for the later book reprints. Any reason why Mike? Just curious...

p.s I didn't win any of the Les Spinge issues (twas me who put the first bids in), although I bid over آ£10 for each issues. Sad, but I'm sure they'll turn up elsewhere. We could use the always the ebay images for the Gallery since I won't be scanning these now :(
                    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:19 AM.
                    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I've also uploaded some more scans of reviews from SFX ranging from 1995-2000, which can be found in 'Published Interviews' as before:

[broken link][broken link]

I've also added a full-page advert for Silverheart that appeared in SFX, which by uncanny chance features Mike's current avatar. Not too sure where this should go. I've put it in 'Published Interviews' (page 4) for the time being, but maybe it should be moved (back to Limbo? or to the Silverheart covers?)
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
                        On the subject of the Treece intros, I have a couple of them that are detached from the original Savoy editions and could therefore be scanned easily, subject to Mike's permission.
                        At the risk of jumping the gun - because I don't think we've heard from Mike as to whether or not he's happy for us to proceed with the suggestion of scanning his Introductions to other writer's books - I have taken the unilateral step of creating an album for 'Introductions' and uploaded the two Intros I have for 'The Golden Strangers' and 'The Rose'. Really this is just to see what they might look like and how we might produce others if Mike gives the okay to go ahead.

If not, then it'll be quite a simple matter just to delete the album and the photos therein. :)

[broken link]

Comment

Sorry -- that's fine if you want to reproduce introductions to other writers' works. After all, I only do the intros if I like the writers, so the more people who hear about them the better!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I've located one of my detached Treece introductions. I have another couple somewhere I think, but have put them in a safe place and now can't find them, as you do. The one I've found is dated August 1978 and is sort of a general overview of Treece's work. Only trouble is I'm not sure which book it's from. Anyone know? It starts 'By making living men of his historical characters Treece joined the small group of novelists who used the historical romance for moral and literary purposes of their own' If anyone knows which one it is I'll scan it up.
                            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
                            X