Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Image Gallery Gets a Second Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
    Originally posted by demos99
    I've got an Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of all the different covers that have appeared on Mike's UK paperbacks, with thumbnails for easy reference.
    Or is it obsession!?
    Only if I'm doing it right. ;)

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    I think it would be great to drain the used book market of Mike's work, to kindle a din of people increasing the demand for books. That should secure some sweet book deals for Mike.
    That's the thing, though Berry. There's such a proliferation of Mike's books out there (in cheap 2nd-hand) paperbacks that it's very easy for anyone who discovers Mike's work to get hold of most of his EC stuff without spending a lot of money on the endeavour.

I reckon it was when the Orion/White Wolf collected editions came out you saw a lot of people who bought the revised 'official' versions and then dumped their old paperbacks on to the 2nd-hand market, which has created something of a glut. (Not that I'm complaining, since it does mean they *are* cheap.)

The odd thing is that it's the later (80s) editions (like the Hawkmoon books I mentioned earlier) that are harder to get hold of rather than the older Mayflower paperbacks of the 70s. I've still to ascertain whether any of the Count Brass trilogy ever appeared in the 80s *without* a Habberfield cover. Most of Mike's EC output was re-jacketed during this time (viz. Hawkmoon and Paul Damon Corum covers) but the CB books seem to have been the exception. Anyone got any information on that?
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Well, in an effort to get people to buy, here's a link to books as low as .56 English Pounds:

Abebooks

We get the tiniest amount of a commission from this link.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

... I reckon it was when the Orion/White Wolf collected editions came out you saw a lot of people who bought the revised 'official' versions and then dumped their old paperbacks on to the 2nd-hand market, which has created something of a glut. ...
        I did that!

I sold all my Grafton Elric books (with the Whelan covers) and the Grafton omnibus editions of Corum, Hawkmoon, etc. And regretted it later: they were very handsome editions for mass-market paperbacks...

Ciao,
        Ant

Comment

By the time the Orion editions came out I was already an obsessive collector (though not as bad as some on this site, it would appear!), as you can see from some of the images I've added. So getting rid of anything with Mikes name on it never crossed my mind!

PWV - I've held off doing too much with Limbo because of the various polls going on and because I was perplexed by the Cardinal Ratzinger pics! I have moved some images but don't have permissions to do all I thought needed doing.

I'm just off now to have look at any new additions. Nice work, guys, I understand how obsessive it can become.
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Please delete all those Cardinal/Pope pics. That's too tangential to be of interest to, well, me for one. I know someone must have been making a point, comparing him to Bek, but it just doesn't fit into the Gallery. If you please.

Mike's avatars can go into the Current Site Graphics album. Same for the contest images. Each into their own sub album. The Pyat images, I don't know, those space drawings. MJR did an article with those in them. I'd delete them on the same grounds as the Cardinal pics.

And so on.
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
              I sold all my Grafton Elric books (with the Whelan covers) and the Grafton omnibus editions of Corum, Hawkmoon, etc. And regretted it later: they were very handsome editions for mass-market paperbacks...
              As I'm sure you know those editions come upon eBay all the time at about آ£0.02 (and probably on ABE from آ£0.56 too) :)

Comment

The odd thing is that it's the later (80s) editions (like the Hawkmoon books I mentioned earlier) that are harder to get hold of rather than the older Mayflower paperbacks of the 70s. I've still to ascertain whether any of the Count Brass trilogy ever appeared in the 80s *without* a Habberfield cover. Most of Mike's EC output was re-jacketed during this time (viz. Hawkmoon and Paul Damon Corum covers) but the CB books seem to have been the exception. Anyone got any information on that?
                I haven't seen any individual volumes from The Chronicles of Castle Brass in those kind of 80s editions, but as you probably know there was the collected edition in 1986, seen here:

[broken link]

Maybe that's all Gratfton thought they could sell in the 80s.

As I've said before, that trilogy seemed to me at the time pretty weak, a real potbolier set, but looking back on it I really like the way it takes Hawkmoon through a trough of despair and up to a kind of happy resolution, while bringing a lot of other threads from Elric and Erekose to fruition too.

BTW a couple more copies of the Count Brass hardback collection (White Wolf edition) have just been put up on eBay by Archeron books at very low opening price. Well worth it for UK buyers. This is the one with Walter Simonson illos. Tasty !
                Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                  I just found a set of The Chronicles of Castle Brass (Count Brass, Champion of Garathorm, Quest for Tanelorn) published by Grafton, with new Paul Damon cover art.

These seem to have been published in 1988, cover price آ£2.50 each, as a uniform set. (Though the latest date in the Garathorm is 1986, curiously.)

Scans when time.

Comment

I just found a set of The Chronicles of Castle Brass (Count Brass, Champion of Garathorm, Quest for Tanelorn) published by Grafton, with new Paul Damon cover art.
                    Excellent stuff, Guy. I shall look forward to seeing them whenever you find the time to upload them. :)
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

My pleasure I'm sure.

Scans of the 1988 Chronicles of Count Brass set can now be found in the respective book albums here:

[broken link][broken link][broken link]

Click the thumbnail for medium size pic then click again for full size if desired (as I'm sure you know)
                      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Note the printing error on Count Brass: the "R" of Moorcock is filled in.

Was this corrected on later printings?

Ciao,
                        Ant

Comment

What is wrong with me?!
                          Come in, you're most welcome, but leave Envy at my castle's gates ... for it is a poison we are unable to cure, and you'd be its first sad victim yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                            Note the printing error on Count Brass: the "R" of Moorcock is filled in.

Was this corrected on later printings?

Ciao,
                            Ant
                            I noticed that, and wondered if anyone else would be detail-obsessed enough to mention it.

The prize is yours, Ant !

How odd that this series should be so much more beset by production errors than any other. (Is that what Count Brass is alluding to in his gnomic utterance above?)

Comment

Scans of the 1988 Chronicles of Count Brass set can now be found in the respective book albums here:
                              Many thanks for those scans, Guy. Damon does a pretty neat line in architecture, doesn't he? :)

Comment

I noticed that, and wondered if anyone else would be detail-obsessed enough to mention it.

The prize is yours, Ant ! ...
                                If we were to be really pedantic, we'd insist that we had separate albums for Count Brass (novel) and Count Brass (omnibus). (And similarly for the other duplicates...)

Gr.,
                                Ant

Comment

Working...
                                X