Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Image Gallery Gets a Second Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    Are you on dialup?
    I'm using an ADSL (512kbps) connection on a wireless network at home.

I'll try switching to a direct connection to the ADSL socket after work today and see if that's any better.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Could be the size of the image that's causing the problem. Try it at a slightly lower quality and see if that works.

I see there are ten pages or so of images waiting to be moved to the image gallery proper (maybe 8/9 without the banner and avatar submissions). There's a whole load of excellent foreign language editions that have appeared. Should we have a separate foreign language section for these or have them put in with the English language editions. I've got more scans to upload at some point but have been holding off because of the amount waiting to be moved.
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
        but I can't see a pulldown menu on that page > [broken link]
        That's just an image put there and highlighted as the main image so people immediately see the "Put Your Images Here" folder. Go up one level and load the image there.

A smaller image, though. I am 99% certain that your problem is that 2MB is too big for the system to deal with. As Aral Vilsn says, try saving at a little lower quality, perhaps see if the dpi is 72 and not 200 or 300. If it's still not working, try sizing down the image.

Good luck!
        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 04:33 AM.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

We do have some images in the gallery beyond 2 MB in size.
          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Oh.

Nevermind, then. Pay no attention to me.

Comment

Ok, I re-scanned the cover at 120 dpi and it's uploaded okay now. Final image size was 609x940, 481kb.

Thanks for all your assistance everyone. :)
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
                I see there are ten pages or so of images waiting to be moved to the image gallery proper (maybe 8/9 without the banner and avatar submissions). There's a whole load of excellent foreign language editions that have appeared. Should we have a separate foreign language section for these or have them put in with the English language editions. I've got more scans to upload at some point but have been holding off because of the amount waiting to be moved.
                Don't worry, Aral, this will be taken care of very soon (hopefully.) I am in the middle of a project to add to and move the non-English editions of Mike's work. Unfortunately, I have to also tell Berry that the new login didn't work, which would have helped me to facilitate this. :(
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Many thanks to our terrific volunteers and contributors who have made the Image Gallery something to look at. Nice work EVERYONE.
                  The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Time for a clean up?

I've uploaded some covers of anthologies in which Mike's stories appear in the Limbo album. I don't think we have a separate album in the Books section of the Image Gallery yet for such anthologies. And should it be organized by the title of the anthology or the stories of Mike's that appear in them?

As the Limbo album is now 10 pages long again, is it possible to have a clean up and empty it completely ready for new contibutions? When time allows of course :)

As an enticement to get it done, I will upload scans of the Book Collector's News and Ergo Ego issues I bought off John Davey once the Limbo album is cleared :P
                    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

Re: Time for a clean up?

I've uploaded some covers of anthologies in which Mike's stories appear in the Limbo album. I don't think we have a separate album in the Books section of the Image Gallery yet for such anthologies. And should it be organized by the title of the anthology or the stories of Mike's that appear in them?
                      Heh! I just dug out my copy of Langdon Jones' New SF anthology last night but I was too busy to scan it and upload it. Oh well, at least there's one copy up there now. :) I've got a copy of Other Edens 2 (with Frozen Cardinal in it) to upload tonight if it's not up there already.

On the point of albums, perhaps we could have a 'Miscellaneous Anthologies' sub-album in the 'Anthologies' album to keep things tidy and prevent things sprawling all over the place a bit?

Alternatively, how about separating the anthologies into UK and US/Foreign editions? (Or is that terribly parochial?)

Comment

demos, if your copy of The New SF is better than mine (which has a crease across the cover as you'll see from the scan) feel free to post it. You won't get any objection from me - at the end of the day we want the best images up that we can get. I had three copies of The New SF at one point I think, but now only have one. As I said in the comments with the scan, the lamination is prone to peeling on the cover of this book, so good condition copies are hard to find.

I don't have Other Edens, and I don't think there's one up already, but just do a search via the box in the Image Gallery proper to check. I see you put the Paul Damon covers up too, I hadn't seen all those before.

Comment

I don't have Other Edens, and I don't think there's one up already, but just do a search via the box in the Image Gallery proper to check. I see you put the Paul Damon covers up too, I hadn't seen all those before.
                          I have to confess that since I discovered the image gallery I've been scouring eBay for cheap copies of Mike's paperbacks (like the Damon Corum books) so I can scan them and upload them to Limbo. I'm currently looking for copies of the Hawkmoon tetralogy that Grafton/Granada issued in the mid/late 80s that replaced the Habberfield covers, like this one:

[broken link]

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of all the different covers that have appeared on Mike's UK paperbacks, with thumbnails for easy reference. I've found quite a few images of books on the Internet that aren't in the Image gallery but a) sometimes the quality's not very good (esp. on eBay - see above) and anyway b) I assume we want actual scans we do ourselves rather than copies taken off other web sites.

PS I'll check the quality of my New SF copy and see if it's worth uploading tonight.
                          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:16 AM.

Comment

I have to confess that since I discovered the image gallery I've been scouring eBay for cheap copies of Mike's paperbacks (like the Damon Corum books) so I can scan them and upload them to Limbo.
                            No that's dedication!

I've got an Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of all the different covers that have appeared on Mike's UK paperbacks, with thumbnails for easy reference.
                            Or is it obsession!?

You're doing fine work, guys, and now that I'm finished with my graphic contributions to Protoype X, I have recaptured the free time necessary to get back into the swim of the Image Gallery. It would seem my list (at the start of this thread) is woefully out-of-date. :oops:

Comment

Hey, Demos ... I've actually started doing the same, buying cheap German versions of M's books on Ebay to fill up the visual/graphic archives. I read most books in English long before the were translated and published here, but it nice to have them anyway.
                              Google ergo sum

Comment

I think it would be great to drain the used book market of Mike's work, to kindle a din of people increasing the demand for books. That should secure some sweet book deals for Mike.

Another source of very very very inexpensive editions of Mike's books is abebooks.com

Comment

Working...
                                X