Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sampling Done by Other Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampling Done by Other Writers

I used to have what I thought was all of the Multiverse books having anything to do with Elric of Melnibonأ© and the Champion Eternal. I am currently missing the first trilogy (someday I'll get the compiled book back). Then I found a book called Tales of the White Wolf. There are a dozen or more authors who have taken your Multiverse theme and even Elric himself and written out their own short stories. I was wondering if you personally invited your fellow writers to come up with their own short stories or if they asked for your permission to do so. I know there are some authors who get real uptight if someone tries to use their characters or scenes in a story of their own. Also, if I got off my lazy behind and published something out of the mountain of hand written pages I got in my office, would I have to pay royalties for borrowing your characters with your permision? The only 1 I really have in mind is the Champion Eternal.

My characters are protected as trademarks (names and 'insignia') as more recent books state, but I can give permission for people to compile anthologies like the White Wolf anthology and its sequel Pawn of Chaos.
    What's more there are game scenarios which employ my characters (though I have problems with Chaosium's use of my characters and that will soon become a legal issue). So that's the simple answer -- if an editor wants to do an anthology which features writers doing riffs on my characters and backgrounds, that's okay, but it's not okay to do it without permission!
    I also distinguish between fan fiction posted free on the web and fiction published in book form without my permission.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thank you for time. However, I'm not certain I posted my question accurately enough. You have nevertheless answered it. To use the characters or creations of an established author, permission must first be sought after and granted prior to anything being published. Otherwise, it is plagiarism. As an author, it utterly unthinkable to steal someone else's ideas and put them to work in a different storyline.... even if credit is given to the origonal author in that same story. Without permision, I would not bother to attempt to take another person's ideas and mutate them so they appear to be mine. That would be like trying to steal the Mona Lisa and calling it Terry Sue. Wouldn't work. True fans would know the difference.

As to the payment of royalties for borrowing an idea... I have every intention of paying the necessary royalties to whomever owns the copy rights and trademarks of the characters and other assorted creations I would like to borrow. Likewise, I had every intention of using characters of my own to reveal where I had borrowed them from. It was my intention to use these refferences as a means of reffering [{(my 3)}] readers to the books and authors who have inspired me over the past 20 years. Someday I'll get all the permisions I need ... or I won't. Either way, These 7 books will be written and published without incurring the wrath of other authors. Until then, may good fortune find you in good health.

Comment

Jhan Karder & Dela Thorzvek-

The perceived similarity of settings, tropes, and archetypes is something that has been going on for a very long time, and indeed, may be entirely coincidental, given the nature of Myth and Archetype. No Finns pressed charges in the borrowing of Kalvero, for instance, in Mr. Moorcock's works.

My trilogy is clearly influenced by Mr. Moorcock's works, and one reviewer made a connection to JC in her review, while another claimed the first novel was 'the first Eternal Champion novel of the new millennium.', which, of course, floored me.

The only thing that could make me giddier would be to receive the Master's seal of approval.

I think it is wonderful to read that (I feel odd calling you by your first name) Michael so freely grants permission to use his characters, at least in passing.

Would this also extend to proper places and place-names, referencing specific events from your works, etc.?

Best,
        -Kyrinn
        Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Michael, I noted that you brought up the Chaosium issue, which all of the board regulars are obviously aware of. How does Mongoose Games (hyperlinked to their Elric game) fit into this? Are they paying you or are they licensing from Chaosium without you in the mix?
          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Mongoose took the games over. They have kept me in the loop the whole time and sent my agent a royalty check within days of shipping their first batch of games. Good guys.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
              Mongoose took the games over. They have kept me in the loop the whole time and sent my agent a royalty check within days of shipping their first batch of games. Good guys.
              That is sooo good to know. They seem to be a company that really makes an effort to please everybody they can under the assumption that good will brings business. Lets hope they're right.
              My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Of course they're right. In fact I can't think of a better way to be a success in the long term. Greed and speed go together and the one is the downfall of the other. Those that build a brick at a time soon get up a pace that keeps everybody together on the ride.

Somebody just mentioned Apple Corps, the Beatles' company which is still mediated as having been a colossal failure. Actually what Apple did was 'foolishly' generous to all concerned and always with a good spirit and the interests of quality and art. And funnily enough, since the nineties their success has dwarfed their original colossal success although the media still have the organisation (a very small one) pinned as 'foolish hippies'

Anyway, I've digressed to give an example of how keeping the spirit of the art alive is bankable in the long term. Greed giants come and go but the smaller spirits reign supreme across the aeons!!

Comment

Working...
                X