Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock & Religion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tales from Tanelorn View Post
    No time for a full reply now, but I agree with Mike, when I do believe in God, he is a God of LOVE and tolerance and forgiveness and not attached to any denomination.
    Cool. Thanks for reading.

Originally posted by Tales from Tanelorn View Post
    I can still only see relatively simple, random, Physics processes at work in the Physical Universe from creation until far in the future, with complex multicellular Life here on earth and elsewhere being the crowning achievement in complexity in the Physical universe.
    My only response to that is that you seem to enslave G-d to the observable, and flawed, un-furling understanding of the chief carbon-based life forms of this planet who are trying to discover their place in this rather mystifying 'universe' by using their limited and flawed perceptions, and instruments. That to me, is a very small god, even if it is a loving one. But, hey. whatever floats your boat. Thanks again.
    Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
      Many thanks to Kyrinn for posting a most fascinating analysis of, I guess, Biblical history from the 'outside' POV rather than the normal perspective of Humanity. I'm going to have to re-read it to get the full gist, but from my first reading it certainly has some interesting insights.
      Thank you very much, David.
      Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

• Originally posted by Heliocephalus
        Interesting read... A couple of (hopefully pertinent) questions if I may...

1) Are there any extant signs of angel/human interbreeding? If not why not?

2) On what evidence do you correlate the Titans and giants of European myth to the biblical angel/human interbreeds? I ask because often people try to relate oriental dragons to european dragons - when actually they share very few characteristics other than a superficial visual one.
        These are specific doctrinal questions which I can easily answer but don't see the immediate value of quoting passages that mention the Giants. My reason for posting the Grand Statement was to put the slaughters in the Hebrew Canon into the context of Mike's statement/reply.

If you'd like my answers, please start a new thread outside of the Q&A, though I'm not certain where it would be placed. Reasoned Debate, perhaps?

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyrinn S. Eis View Post
          If you'd like my answers, please start a new thread outside of the Q&A, though I'm not certain where it would be placed. Reasoned Debate, perhaps?
          Reasoned Debate is certainly appropriate, yes.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Interesting read... A couple of (hopefully pertinent) questions if I may...

1) Are there any extant signs of angel/human interbreeding? If not why not?
            Hello

just kidding, but it was too good a set up to let pass by

Comment

• "When they see my 'shrine' to the triple-'goddess' along with my Menorah, it really flips them out. "

Hey Kyrinn, our walls are currently covered with Eqyptian papyrus images of Isis and also a scroll of the judgement of a heart against a feather and also beautiful statues of Isis, Ra and Anubis.
              Mainly for the artwork, but also because it so old that it is timeless and strangely reassuring. Also I find some of the ideas philosophically appealing.

I just want to reiterate that I am not discussing religious questions to cause offence to anyone.
              I am genuinely interested in Mike's point of view after a life time of wisdom and experience.
              Also I cant exactly go to a Vicar to discuss agnostic ideas like these because I dont know of any agnostic church like this!
              I think I read almost everything that Mike had written when I was age 15 until about 30 and I think it might partly explain how I have many similar philosphical views.
              Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 05-20-2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Hey Kyrinn, our walls are currently covered with Eqyptian papyrus images of Isis and also a scroll of the judgement of a heart against a feather and also beautiful statues of Isis, Ra and Anubis.
                Mainly for the artwork, but also because it so old that it is timeless and strangely reassuring. Also I find some of the ideas philosophically appealing.

I just want to reiterate that I am not discussing religious questions to cause offence to anyone.
                I am genuinely interested in Mike's point of view after a life time of wisdom and experience.
                Also I cant exactly go to a Vicar to discuss agnostic ideas like these because I dont know of any agnostic church like this!
                I think I read almost everything that Mike had written when I was age 15 until about 30 and I think it might partly explain how I have many similar philosphical views.
                I understand what you are saying. I feel helpless to assist you in your search. Though I suggest that you talk to your local Unitarian Universalist congregation, as they are about the closest thing to an Agnostic-church as I have found (though American Methodists are a close second ).

I have grown to respect you as I've read your non-repeated words, i.e., those unique to your explaining your position apart from stating your position. I honour that search, and I think there is value in the search as much as there is in feeling one has found the answer (for them). Namaste.

BTW, I love Aegyptian stuff, even though I'd be considered a servant of Set, due to the complex logic of opposition to the pantheon, and a slew of historic reasons that date back to the Hebraic presence in Egypt.

> more hugs <

Comment

I'm struggling to think of a title for the thread... Any ideas? Otherwise you could PM the answers, but then maybe others would be interested in discussing what you wrote.
                  I've done it for you.

I've copied the relevant posts above from Mike, Kyrinn & Heliocephalus to the new thread in Reasoned Debate. If anyone else thinks any other recent posts in this thread should also be included please PM me.
                  Last edited by David Mosley; 05-21-2008, 03:27 AM.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• I've copied Kyrinn's last post into the Reasoned Debate thread that David set up here:
                    http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=8312

It will be less confusing if we keep everything on the one thread If people do respond on this thread in future, I will simply move their replies over to RD.

Comment

• I'm sorry.
                      I thought I had replied there.

Comment

"When they see my 'shrine' to the triple-'goddess' along with my Menorah, it really flips them out. "

Hah. I knew we had something in common beyond our love of Mike and creative storytelling.

I've got Egyptian stuff all over my office (pictures, statues, etc.) and many many books on Egyptian history and language. It was my love of Egypt that in many ways led me down my road. Admittedly, I have a particular fondness for the Coptic portion of Egyptian history, but honestly if it has Egypt in the title, I love it. Probably why I dig Jack Karaquazian as much as I do.

Neat how a love and respect of a common culture can bring such wonderfully disparate people together.
                        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                        --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

• Hey J-Sun that is cool, and nice to see. I suspect that we are only a little different in a few ways.
                          Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 05-24-2008, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• Did anyone notice the news this week of a supernova captured at the moment of collapse in a Galaxy 100 Million light years away?
                            A supernova has never been witnessed before but it seems to have followed the standard theory.
                            It is interesting to note that the heavy elements released there will one day create other planets possibly even one like earth with
                            astronomers looking out at other Supernova. Who or whatever the Creator is, he/she/it is still creating, most inspiring!
                            I know nothing..

Comment

• Except that the explosion occurred 100 million years ago, according to accepted (though not indisputably-so) Red-shift views, making the potential for such hypothetical planetary creation purely speculation, correct?

Comment

• Yes, I think they mentioned 100 Million years, but that does not effect the potential for planet creation at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X