Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Non-Depressing and/or Happy News Stories in 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: Non-Depressing and/or Happy News Stories in 2015

Barsoom?

A Martian Dream: Here's What the Red Planet Would Look Like With Earth-Like Oceans and Life

I thought this was brilliant.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/a...harriss-spiral
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

It would make a beautiful tattoo too!
      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
        It would make a beautiful tattoo too!
        Ghod, yes!

Finally displace all those black thorns??
        Or are they already yesterday's cliché?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
          Leigh Bracket's Mars!
          Also Kim Stanley Robinson's Blue Mars - after all that terraforming in Red Mars and Green Mars.

Don't know if you've read Stan's work, Mike, but I think you would quite like it. Perhaps start with his "Science in the Capitol" series - Forty Signs of Rain, Fifty Degrees Below and Sixty Days and Counting. It's ecological and political hard science fiction.

Cheers! Hope 2015 is starting off well for y'all!
          -M.
          Miqque
          ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

I'm partial to KSR's 'The Years of Rice and Salt', myself.

Comment

Hi All
              Interesting news for Sherlockians :
              http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30932322
              Best
              Mark
              I used to reach for the stars but now I'm reformed.

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
                I'm partial to KSR's 'The Years of Rice and Salt', myself.
                I found that one a little flat, but it's cool.

Last time I was at SDCC - was it 1998? Gawd... - I got to talk to Stan Robinson a bit while he was signing Antarctica. We talked about how to pace really long story arcs and how not to forget some action a character performs with consequences much later on. Fun guy, totally like he seems from his writing.

He and Mike together as a panel on social problems would be incredible! (I think they'd get along quite well.)
                Miqque

Comment

Borderlands Books to remain open

As an indie author I see the stories all the time, big bookstores closing in the downtown section of Toronto, little indie shops closing, even the "World's Biggest Bookstore" folded. But it's nice to see some shops succeed in their fight to stay alive, for any length of time. I've been following the saga of iconic San Francisco landmark Borderlands Books, which looked doomed but now has a new lease on life thanks to dedicated supporters.

They sold $100 memberships and reached a goal of 300 sponsors, which is supposed to keep them going until spring 2016 when they'll do another sponsor drive.

That may be something more indie shops do in the future, you know? Instead of relying on just throughput of daily sales, which has taken a hit, getting memberships from people who just want to see the place stay open, in return for benefits.
                  Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

Psychedelic drug use 'does not increase risk for mental health problems'
                    sigpic

Comment

It's quite a comment on the time we live in that this is the shortest thread.
                      Miqque

Comment

As a rationalist, I find this a very positive development:
                        http://www.salon.com/2015/03/06/anti...ruth_rankings/

Comment

The only News fit to print: The Onion
                          sigpic

Comment

Friday March 20th is United Nations International Day of Happiness.

We also have a Total Solar Eclipse* in the UK that morning. WIll be the last visible in UK until 20

*Well, 98% of one.**
                            **If you're in the Shetland Islands. London will only get 85% Totality.***
                            ***But it will probably be overcast anyway because this is Britain we're talking about.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                            X