Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

White Wolf's Son delivered! But a few questions Mr. M!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Wolf's Son delivered! But a few questions Mr. M!

Just found this -

http://www.thealienonline.net/ao_030...cid=1&iid=2692

Which tells us that 'White Wolf's Son' has been delivered to the publishers. It also tell's us a few other things.

Could you tell us Brits, Mr. M, why you aren't going with a UK release? And whether we will be able to buy 'The Vengeance Of Rome' in our local bookshop?
    Are the graphic novels getting a UK release, 'Tom Strong' as well as the 'Making of a Sorceror' ones?
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Very much looking forward to both 'White Wolf's Son' and 'The Vengeance Of Rome' :!:
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yes, nice to hear about the Pyat book as well. But isn't he technically at least a side player in the Eternal Champion canon?
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

OK. Here's the whole story so far. I haven't published details before largely because nobody's really asked me for them! I shan't be repeating this elsewhere, however, because I find the whole business both boring and frustrating. However, I do owe it to regular readers to let them know the basics of what's going on:

I withdrew the Elric novels from the original UK publisher, after certain editors with whom I had long term relationships were encouraged to 'resign'. I tend to set high store by personal relationships. Readers might remember that I left Harper Collins after Murdoch fired a raft of people, most of them reps. who would not be able to get new jobs. Then, somewhat foolishly I now realise, I went to Anthony Cheetham's new firm (Orion). I had known Anthony for many years and he promised that he didn't intend to pursue his old policies with his new company. Almost immediately, he fell back into his old habits and by that time it was too late for me. I have had a troubled relationship with Orion (Victor Gollancz) ever since. I had hoped that with Cheetham's leaving and another old acquaintance, Malcolm Edwards, taking over from him, that things would improve. There have been serious discrepancies in royalty statements, failures to contract for titles (noteably the 'Masterworks' volumes they've done of mine) and so on. Even though I have known Malcolm Edwards and Jo Fletcher for many years, they were reluctant to publish the new sequence in mid-series and continue to fail to answer various outstanding questions concerning royalties, rights and contracts. What's more my representation has been a bit muddy, with three different agents handling various aspects of my work. In short it's a mess which will take some serious sorting out. I've discovered that I'm by no means the only author to have serious dissatisfaction with Orion. Meanwhile, Howard Morhaim's strategy (which makes sense to me) is not to offer withdrawn Elric books to publishers until the movie begins shooting. I'm sorry if this means that US readers can't buy the EC series, apart from the current Elric books, and UK readers can't buy The Skrayling Tree in the shops, but I've every reason to trust my agent's strategy. The US paperback is now available through Amazon. And the hardback is still available, of course. This can also be bought through John Davey. Meanwhile, The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius IS available in the UK as, I believe, is New Worlds: An Anthology, both from the same group, one published by Four Walls Eight Windows and the other published by Thunder's Mouth (which took over 4W8W). Only the majority of the Elric books and EC books will be harder to obtain for a while. I hope to see them eventually republished as individual titles.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the graphic novel. I know that it will be published in two albums in France and individual DC issues are presumably available through UK comic shops, since I saw no point in arranging a separate edition and am more than happy with my relationship with them.

The Vengeance of Rome will definitely be available in the UK, published by Jonathan Cape this coming Autumn. The other three books will also be published, as Vintage titles.
        At present my agent is only just about to begin offering US publishers rights to the Pyat books, so I can see a situation where readers will, for a while at least, have to buy their Pyat books from the UK and their Elric books from the US! Frankly, this makes little difference to me, of course, since I receive royalties either way, but I'm sorry for the inconvenience to readers.

I should also add that anyone buying new books through John Davey can ask for an autographed copy at no extra cost. The autograph will be on a special bookplate. Be sure to ask John for an autographed copy, however. He also has copies of Druillet's Elric: The Return to Melnibone, in English and presumably also stocks the DC comics (I haven't asked him!). I know he stocks Roller Coaster Holliday, the new album and the AudioRealm 5 CD audio-book of Elric of Melnibone.

Only in recent months have I begun to take serious action over long-term issues with Orion, Chaosium and so on. I've always hated legal situations, which produce their own stories and can be very distracting from work in hand. Until recently I needed to devote my time to completing outstanding books. Now, as I come close to completing all my various projects, I'll have more time and energy to start addressing the discrepancies and long-standing issues with various publishers. I should add that over many years I have had excellent relationships with the majority of my publishers --Penguin, Berkley, Warner Brothers, Random House and 4W8W amongst them. Even the split with White Wolf was not acrimonious. I had hoped that with the leaving of the notorious Anthony Cheetham from Orion and his position being taken by Malcolm Edwards old issues could be addressed. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened.
        This coming year I intend to raise those issues and get them resolved once and for all, but I still want to finish the Peake books before going into high gear! I've already successfully prosecuted one trademark infringement case and with luck, by the end of this year, I'll be able to give readers a clearer idea of when and how all those various books will be appearing.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

To be honest, I'm not sure about the graphic novel. I know that it will be published in two albums in France
          will those be published in the standard french format (A4, hardback, quality paper) ? and only in french?
          sorry if i'm being a nuisance....i'm so fond of my good ol' bande dessinأ©e books....

Comment

hrm, yeah. stupid question. :oops:
            somehow i hoped i could have the comic in english but in french BD format.
            just me being a collectionist i guess :lol:

Comment

Thanks, Mr. M. I knew there would be a good reason but hadn't come across it. Judging by some of the comments on another thread it's a good job John Davey is stocking most titles because a few members aren't keen to use Amazon.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Great news on WWS!!! I can't wait to get my hands on this tasty little volume. That little write-up has me salivating for it.

I still need to get my hands on the new Elric comics, too. Every time I go to my local comic shop, they are "sold out"...

Comment

Working...
                X