Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

copyrights can and cant do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copyrights can and cant do

8) Can these things be used in a book ----------- Multiverse concept, moonbem roads (or like) Orcs ,Uruk Hai orcs, hobbits, .Can you mention brands celebraties and music, bands pop dance and stuff and if so can a character diss them? IF THERE IS ANOTHER MESSAGE LIKE THIS WITH pOPPY CANTS AND CANS AS A NAME IT IS A MISTAKE ITS THIS MESSAGE, I PUT THE SOME SUBJECT ON THE NAME.

It depends how close you get to the originals, I suppose. Clearly Orcs can be used as a generic because people have used them like that already.
    Multiverse can be used as a name to describe a series of alternate worlds because it has 'gone into the language' as they say. But you can't use
    characters directly taken from Tolkien (such as Gandalf) or from me (such as Elric) since these are recognised trademarks. You'd also be in some difficulty if you used representations of those characters so close as to be indistinguishable because the 'insignia', the appearance of those characters is also a recognised trademark. My guess is you'd have problems using 'hobbits', too. There isn't a general reply. It really depends on which of them you're talking about. Better, I'd say, not to pinch anyone else's existing notions but to come up with some of your own invention...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I know that some writers have just turned hobbits into halflings. Orcs are far too common unfortunately. The best thing to do is invent your own critters to populate your worlds with.

Comment

:D I have many novels in mind but all unique and with their own feel I was planning to have all kinda creatures in mind but not use hobbits in the tolkien way or rip off anyone.It s the brand mentioning that i need to know about, Like can i have a bey blade type thing or can you mention music and stuff and brands, or do you have to substitue or get permissionfrom the owner. Can you mention another persons book in a story? Not being nasty of course, but just in conversation. The music would be to establish character like" Rose liked hip hop and rap but hated britney..."..

Comment

Working...
        X