Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

michael moorcock was reported as having died of cancer. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• michael moorcock was reported as having died of cancer. Why?

I was a very avid fan, still am, of michael moorcock's writings. At the back of one of the "Mars" series books he was reported to have died of lung cancer in 1975. I was shocked. I am glad now to know it was not the case. I am assuming they did this with his approval. Why report the death if it was not true? I wondered if his recent writings were published posthumously. Obviously not the case. I think it was Oscar Wild who said that the story of his death had been greatly exagerrated. I am left wondering about this. I am fascinated by this story and would be interested in hearing Mr Moorcock's account of how it came about. It sounds like an interesting one.

I published that in Breakfast in the Ruins, when I reached the age of 30. I didn't expect anyone to believe it, but clearly a lot of people did. I decided that by 30 I had to stop running from my demons and facing them, since too many sf writers of my time did all their best work before they were 30, then became self-imitating. Worst thing that happened to me was doing a big gig at the stadium in Liverpool and I thought the audience were shouting 'You're dead' -- meaning they didn't like me.
    Turned out they were shouting 'We thought you were dead!" That'll teach me to expect everyone to get an ironic joke. I've dropped it from more recent editions.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

That's crazy stuff!
      \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
      Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Jings!
        I'm seven years past my sell-by date already! :(

Comment

Well, abiding by this logic I have a good 8 years in me. Christ, I'd best use them!
          Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Re: michael moorcock was reported as having died of cancer.

Originally posted by graham
            I think it was Oscar Wild who said that the story of his death had been greatly exagerrated.
            Actually, it was Mark Twain. Of course, in another part of the Multiverse, Michael Moorcock did indeed die in 1975, but that's a different story!
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

i'm dead...

Comment

It is indeed possible that we all died in '75, and this is the afterlife. Not quite what I expected, but at least we still get good books to read. :lol:
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I wish I was even alive in 75 lol!........or maybe not.....

Comment

No you don't! Course, it could have been a past incarnation.......

Comment

I bought most of my demons a ticket to Siberia on my 33rd Birthday and they never came back.
                      That'll larn 'em!

Comment

Personally I'm hoping that my life will "begin" around the age of 30. For some reason my life seems to have been delayed in the post, and playing swingball with my demons is getting old.

So fingers crossed and roll on the big three-oh!
                        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Yes, them demons always whack the ball so's the string gets all caught up on the spiral wossname (Sudden realisation - Perdix can remember when Swingball came out - I mean, originally, like, in the '70's. 8O ).

Anyway, being the type of chrononaut fitted with emotic potential retrodrive, I can zoom up and down the temporal column of my existence, so its hard to tell my true age...Basil Liddell-Hart said that everyone should be listed as having two ages: Physical & mental. So I'm 37 and, er...eight? I don't think my motivations have changed much since then.

Well, most of them.

I didn't have a mortgage then.

Or a wife.

Erm..

Comment

did not clint eastward not also say romours of my death have been greatly exgzagted (sorry about spelling )

Comment

Not that it matters, Mike, but im glad youre not dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X