Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

editorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Yeah. I always say that if I'd been ashamed of writing fantasy fiction I'd have written it under a pseudonym like Vargo Statten or Volstead Gridban.
    Yrs
    Warwick Colvin Jnr

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Equally, they're fond of saying 'although he made his reputation in sf and fantasy Moorcock is now devoting himself to writing literary fiction'
    Translation:

"Although he goofed around writing silly stories, now he is a legitimate writer..."

:lol:

Leave a comment:

• flutegirlrockz
    replied
    Originally posted by Pellaz
    Originally posted by TheEighthSon
    You could always reference the SciFan listing for Michael Moorcock, to see a pretty comprehensive list of books, a link to which is provided here for your convenience... They've even updated it to include the upcoming releases.

http://scifan.com/writers/mm/MoorcockMichael.asp

It's a pretty useful site, really...
    Hmm, they're missing a few of the early ones, nyet? The Stealer of Souls (Neville Spearman, c. 1962?), and I think there was an early hardback of Stormbringer in there as well. Still, a handy listing. Always good to find new (to me) sources for used books, too. :twisted:
    The thing about The Stealer of Souls is that some of the story's are in The Weird of the White Wolf (and some I think are in The Bane of the Black Sword), so do you include the Stealer of Souls if the story's appear in other books.

Leave a comment:

• Pellaz
    replied
    I thought Bilyeu's was called The Tanelorn Archives...or am I misremembering? (I'd hate to be misoverestimated. :))

I have a copy. Somewhere, in a box. Hanging out with the abovementioned Spearman and (thanks for that!) Herb Jenkins editions, and a few other rarities kept in hermetically-sealed mayonnaise jars, stolen from Funk and Wagnall's porch.

The other nearby boxes full o' books are, of course, quite jealous of their powerful neighbor. 8)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I continue to recommend John Davey's Reader's Guide, which is incredibly accurate and intensive. The earlier Tanelorn Chronicles by Rick Bilyeu was also very accurate -- both bibliographers checked out each title personally, either from their own collections or at the national libraries. And it's worth checking out Max Wilcox's bibliography on the net or the Sweet Despise bibliography, which is also good.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by Pellaz
    You could always reference the SciFan listing for Michael Moorcock, to see a pretty comprehensive list of books, a link to which is provided here for your convenience... They've even updated it to include the upcoming releases.

Hmm, they're missing a few of the early ones, nyet? The Stealer of Souls (Neville Spearman, c. 1962?), and I think there was an early hardback of Stormbringer in there as well. Still, a handy listing. Always good to find new (to me) sources for used books, too. :twisted:
    Pellaz, you thought provoker. You made me go to my shelf. :)

The Stealer of Souls is Neville Spearman C. 1963 and Stormbringer is Herbert Jenkins c. 1965.

In case anyone cares. :D

Leave a comment:

• Pellaz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheEighthSon
    replied
    Cheers! That's a lot of bloody books. By no means the record people sometimes claim for me, but a lot.
    They probably don't take into account the books published under different titles, and count, for example, The Sundered Worlds and The Blood Red Game as two books.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Sometimes I feel guilty, thinking of all the trees which have died in my name. :)
    Click your guilt away:

[broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Cheers! That's a lot of bloody books. By no means the record people sometimes claim for me, but a lot. Sometimes I feel guilty, thinking of all the trees which have died in my name. :)

Leave a comment:

• TheEighthSon
    replied
    (has a look at his Book List)

In terms of published books- standalone titles, not collections or novellas, unless the contents of a collection cannot be found elsewhere. MMM and MoS included as they're original works and not adaptations.

I'll make a rough guesstimation of 86 books. My list totals 89, but with collections removed and the recent releases added (I need to update the List) that's a pretty accurate accounting.

Hope I'm a quarter as successful when, or rather if, I get my butt in gear and write something... :roll: :D

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Yeah, I'm never sure where they get their numbers. For a long time more than one book of mine was being advertised as my 100th novel.
    I'm not entirely sure how many I've written, but I doubt it's a hundred.
    Equally, they're fond of saying 'although he made his reputation in sf and fantasy Moorcock is now devoting himself to writing literary fiction' and then I bring out another fantasy book... I don't have much to do with the jacket copy and long ago decided not to argue with the publisher.
    Some authors prefer to write their own copy, but I find that difficult and would rather the publisher did it. Every so often, if something looks drastically wrong, I'll step in and tell them. Even the biographical and bibliographical information on the Wikopaedia site, linked to this, isn't very accurate. The most accurate bibliographical information is in John Davey's bibliography. The most accurate biographical information is in the Contemporary Writers volumes, Who's Who, the Encyclopedia of SF or Debrett's.

Leave a comment:

• kard
    replied
    with 10 books i was referring to the back cover information of "The lives and times of Jerry Cornelius". not sure how they counted, but bibliography stuff seems often hard to overview.

thanks a lot. i am looking forward to that Mammoth project :) .

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    This stuff's all in the official bibliography (see John Davey) but from memory I've edited a bunch of stuff, going back to the weekly Tarzan Adventures, monthly Sexton Blake Library, annual comic annuals (associated with a particularly weekly comic in the UK) and then other stuff when I was working for the Liberal Party. From 1964, I think, I started editing New Worlds, first as a bimonthly, then as a monthly and eventually as a quarterly. As well as those magazines, I edited the Compact edition of The Best of New Worlds, then a series of Best SF Stories From New Worlds and the currently available New Worlds: An Anthology (which is a sort of best of collection, too). The last NW magazine I edited was the 50th anniversary issue in 1996. I edited two anthologies of pre-1914 sf: Before Armageddon and England Invaded!
    I edited a time story anthology called, I believe, The Traps of Time and I also edited The Inner Landscape (with no editorial matter, so I didn't put my name on it) with stories by Peake, Aldiss and Ballard. I've recently edited Moorcock's Mammoth Miscellany of Fact and Fiction, which is due to appear in 2005. Not sure if there's anything else. It's more than ten books, though, I suspect.

Leave a comment:

• kard
    started a topic editorship

editorship

Mr. Moorcock,

which books have you edited? i read that you edited 10 books, but which ones, apart from the New Worlds Anthology? according to which specific criteria did you choose the included articles/stories?

greetings,
    kard
Working...
X