Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sitting on a sofa...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting on a sofa...

Years and years ago, I was into this band called Hawkwind. Well, to be honest I still am. I went to many, many gigs across the south of England, I must have seen them more than twenty times. I often thought about how darned cool it would be to meet the band, and one fine gig - in a now demolished nightclub in Southampton, spurred on by the presence of my new and beautiful girlfriend, I plucked up the courage to walk backstage.

It was an odd experience as I sat on a beat up grey sofa next to Alan Davey and Dave Brock and realized I didn't have anything to say. I mean - it wasn't so much as 'star struck' as just plain didn't have anything to say that anyone would have been remotely interested in. So I was just pleased to be able to sit there and get stoned, and listen to the conversation as it unfolded around me. Huw Lloyd-Langton was pissed that he'd developed a hairline fracture in the neck of his favourite guitar as I recall...

My love of Hawkwind was matched by my love of our hosts books - although I discovered both relatively independantly - I was so stoked when Chronicles of the Blacksword was released. I collected and read just about anything Mr Moorcock wrote - close to the point of obsession. I always thought about how darned cool it would be to meet MM, and now I stumble across this website, 20+ years after stumbling across my first Moorcock novel (An Alien Heat) I find myself in the same strange predicament except I'm a lot older and live in the US, the beat up old sofa has been replaced by this web thing, and my girlfriend is now my beautiful wife. Mr Moorcock - thank you for writing the books you wrote, thank you for writing so damn many, and thank you even more for making yourself 'available' here on this sofa to chat about them - I really do appreciate the opportunity to sit back and listen. I may even chirp in once in a while if I find something relevant to say... :-)

Good to have you on the sofa. Many members of Hawkwind tended to go out of their way to make fans feel welcome, but sometimes there are other concerns backstage and you can't give people as much time as at others. I understand that 'dumbstruck' feeling, by the way. It's happened to me when I've met people I admire. Sometimes there's just nothing to say...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
    X