Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Michael Moorcock's Tom Strong #31 (Feb. 16)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krzysiek
    replied
    The review of Tom Strong #31 by Ray Tate from Silver Bullet (verdict: 4 bullets):

"Black Blade of the Barbary Coast": Part One

Writer: Michael Moorcock
    Artists: Jerry Ordway, Michelle Madsen(c)
    Publisher:DC

Michael Moorcock's multiverse sagas always did hurt my head. It's funny because you would think that they would be right up my alley.

Tom Strong while dense in verbiage and not exactly fluent in characterization as the plot takes a more important role in the story generates a fun fusion between Alan Moore's and Michael Moorcock's characters. The story almost reads like highly thoughtful fan fiction.

There's something for everybody in Moorcock's tale. Solomon takes on a meatier role in the adventure; though his characterization does not necessarily match what was previously seen. Moorcock's Doctorish multiverse adventurer while confusing in his explanations still remains likeable, and a certain white as a sheet surprise buried in time and space will instigate many a grin.

Without a doubt the best thing about the book is Jerry Ordway. Man, can this guy draw. The textured artwork gives the whole episode a tactile feel. You can feel the wet of the rain. The grain of antique wood, and the softness of hair. Anatomic detail is high as is the depiction of period fashion, accouterments and conveyences.

Leave a comment:

• Hapimeses
    replied
    Ooo, very pleased - am a big fan of Tom Strong for obvious reasons - and it seems almost natural that Michael should write for him, given some of the storylines that have come and gone already.

:D

*does a happy dance*

*limps off (but still happy), having done his back in*

H.

Leave a comment:

• Krzysiek
    replied
    TOM STRONG #32

Written by Michael Moorcock; Art and Cover by Jerry Ordway

The conclusion of a thrilling 2-part story by legendary author Michael Moorcock and artist Jerry Ordway! Tom Strong and Solomon are recruited on a mission to save the multiverse. But has their information been tainted?. Are they really working on the side of the angels? And who is the mysterious Count Zodiac?

America's Best Comics | 32pg. | Color | $2.95 US | Mature Readers

On Sale April 13, 2005

Source: DC website

Leave a comment:

• Jeffrey Stadt
    replied
    Originally posted by TheEighthSon
    Gotta say I never heard of this dude before... :oops: I vaguely remember MM mentioning something on the frontpage a few months back, might still be there for all I noticed, but I just figured, not knowing Tom Strong from Tom, Dick, Harry, or Sally, that it was an introduction or foreword or something...

To save me looking (I'm a little busy now) how's about a quick rundown of who, where, when, how, what, and why Tom Strong is? For all us n00bs out here, or, at the very least, for me, since everyone else seems to be familiar with Mr Strong.

Pweese?

Pwetty pweeeese???
    Since you asked...

Tom Strong is the #1 science hero in a world populated with science heroes as created by Alan Moore (Watchman, Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc) and artist Chris Sprouse for his own imprint ABC Comics.

Here's the inside front flap of the first trade:

"Unorthodox American scientist Sinclair Strong had a vision for his only son Tom -- to raise him as the perfect human. To do so, he and his wife Susan retreated from civilization in 1899 to the peculiar, remote South Seas Island of Attabar Teru. Creating an advanced high-gravity environment for the boy, with revolutionary teaching tools and a special diet, Sinclair and Susan began the bold experiment, and Tom developed with unusual strength and intelligence. When tragedy struck the family, it was the native Ozu people who helped Tom continue his unique upbringing and prepared him for a life of invention, exploration and adventure that came to span the 20th century.

"America began to marvel at Tom's story and abilities when he first arrived in Millenium City in the 1920's, becoming its first science-hero champion. Tom's long life and vitality have kept him in that role ever since, with the help of his Ozu wife Dhalua, their daughter Tesla, robot assistant Pneuman, and intelligent ape accomplice King Solomon. It hasn't been an easy life, as one menace after another has arisen to challenge the family, but Tom continues to meet those challenges head on, showing no signs of his age. Join him now, from the very beginning to the latest evil conspiracy, as Tom Strong and his companions careen grom one deadly threat to another in a triumph of epic storytelling, thought-provoking concepts, breathing taking artwork, and high adventure!"

Whew.

Imagine Doc Savage melded with Superman, Tarzan, and Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four mixed lightly with a pinch of Flash Gordon, Tom Mix, and sprinkled with Astounding Tales (or any other pulp magazine/comic) with Mike's own science and fantasty stylings, and you have Tom Strong.

As much homage as expanding upon classic pulp heroes, Tom Strong is a fun read every month (or in the three trade paperbacks now available wherever books are sold). Alan Moore is one of the best fantasy (or speculative) writers working today, whose majority or work consists of comic books. Promethea is a must read for any true witch or anyone interested in witchcraft or kabhala or Crowley and the Gold Dawn. Sometimes serious, sometimes funny, always an excellent, thought-provoking read is Alan Moore.

And don't forget that John Ostrander's and Tim Truman's GRIMJACK returns in January with a brand new mini-series, and the first trade paperback collection of the 1980's comic book. Grimjack is one of the finest science-fantasy stories ever told in ANY medium, and the setting is Cynosure, a cities where all realities meet (sound familiar?). And there's the guest appearence of a certain albino somewhere down the line, too.

2005 is going to be a great year for Mike's characters, his writing, and other great, classic reads.

Selflessly promoting others,

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• TheEighthSon
    replied
    Gotta say I never heard of this dude before... :oops: I vaguely remember MM mentioning something on the frontpage a few months back, might still be there for all I noticed, but I just figured, not knowing Tom Strong from Tom, Dick, Harry, or Sally, that it was an introduction or foreword or something...

To save me looking (I'm a little busy now) how's about a quick rundown of who, where, when, how, what, and why Tom Strong is? For all us n00bs out here, or, at the very least, for me, since everyone else seems to be familiar with Mr Strong.

Pweese?

Pwetty pweeeese???

Leave a comment:

• Jeffrey Stadt
    replied
    Originally posted by TheEighthSon
    Looks like another to look out for!!! :D

What, you haven't read Tom Strong before?? It's been a fun little book by some "unknowns" named Alan Moore and Chris Sprouse. Widely available in trade paperbacks from DC/Wildstorm. It's a great read, an homage to the thrilling adventure/sf comics of the past with new twists and turns along the way. The whole ABC comic line is fantastic, and all (except Promethea) are full of humourous bits or in-jokes.

I'll add this to my pull list, next to the Elric mini-series (which I still haven't read or bought (money's tight) but it's being saved), and the forthcoming Grimjack mini-series and trades.

Any Moorcock fan should do themselves a favor and pick this series up in trade or back issues if they enjoy Mike's Zenith arc out in February. It's great stuff.

-- Jeff

Leave a comment:

• TheEighthSon
    replied
    Looks like another to look out for!!! :D

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Thanks, pard. First I've seen of it! They were going to send me some stuff, but it never turned up. Looks good to me!

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Fella should get a thyroid check, pretty thick. Girl's nice.

Leave a comment:

• Krzysiek
    started a topic Michael Moorcock's Tom Strong #31 (Feb. 16)

Michael Moorcock's Tom Strong #31 (Feb. 16)

From the DC website:
    Last edited by Krzysiek; 05-16-2008, 03:15 PM.
Working...
X