Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Bottom Feeders are at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bottom Feeders are at it again

This scam has been done before and, in fairness, this one is at least quite up-front about it. Still, asking £38 for what they scraped for free?

Tanelorn, Betascript Publishing

It's not a Mike-only scam: 6000+ hits on amazon!

I'd be slightly curious to see whether they have respected the copyright, being free on the web does not mean being free of copyright, but only slightly. Certainly not interested enough to give 'em a single dime.

We've seen the like before - and no doubt will again.
    So in the legendard words of Hill Street Blues: "Let's be careful out there"

More info here: ironically from Wikipedia and this chat with a permitted POV from Chris Rand.
    I wonder it they've published this bit too?

Is the library-scam aspect enough to warrant all the shell companies? I'd hope not.

Comment

The Bottom Feeders are at it again

I wonder how something like this sits with Mike's trademarks?
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

They appear to largely be Print-on-Demand so I'm sure the purpose behind them is to for students to hide their Wikipedia souces (which aren't always accepted by educational institutions) behind a "more reputable" physical print.

Regardless of the target niche, this is still mildly disgusting.
        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

My daughter bought an overpriced (and very slim) volume of stuff gathered off Wikipedia a couple of years ago. She was researching comic artists for a college project and thought it was a genuine book until it arrived. They are quite shameful in every aspect, from production values, editing and presentation. She chalked it up to experience and left a snotty feedback on Amazon.

Comment

I'd advixe careful looking at ALL apparently new books. We're trying to stop this stuff but they are constantly changing. How do you deal with these people ? We need a Literary Inquisition. While on the subject, I apologise to people who have bought books with changed titles in the new Gollancz editions. This was not an attempt to get you to buy the same book twice but there were very serious reasons for alterring titles. Only recent 3 Elrics are changed and two of those have not previkously appeared in the UK.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
            X