Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

CS Lewis and Time Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Lewis and Time Travel

Has anyone read the unfinished CS Lewis short story 'The Dark Tower' I think its called. It is very interesting and concerned with time. It suggests that time is not merely linear and that our memories can also be passed down so that we can remember things from before we were born(and perhaps from the future).
    But the main thing I found interesting is the bit at the start when one of the characters is saying that time travel in the body would not be possible because the particles of your body would be being used in the universe for other things so that you could not exist then as your particles would be used for something else..and your particles could not exist at the same time as those.

I was wondering what everyone thought about this. Also if anyone else has read CS Lewis' sci fi series about the character Ransom.

I listed the Ransom series on the "guilty pleasures" thread on the grounds that my snobby English lecturer told me off for reading them. Never mind him! If you like these books, make sure you read David Lindsay's "Voyage to Arcturus" and Lewis' friend Charles Williams' occult thrillers - both huge influences. You won't be disappointed!

I've read "The Dark Tower" and remember there being some controversy about it being a possible hoax - check out http://www.lindentree.org/hoax.

There's numerous reasons why time travel in the body would not be possible. For instance - if the space occupied by your body's molecules suddenly became a vacuum there would be a huge implosion as the air rushed to feel the space.

I see that Ursula LeGuin had a go at the "Dark Tower" for being more about occultism than science. However - I don't have a problem with this; it's the business of fiction to explore all ideas.
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
    X