Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Conan movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: New Conan movie

Hello sir,

I just read an article on a new Conan movie with Arnold S http://movies.yahoo.com/news/arnold-...210752780.html
    and was wondering if you would be able to talk to the writers to try to implement an Elric introduction. I have been out of the Multi-verse loop for a while now, but upon seeing that article, I thought of you and Elric.

Just a thought. it would be great to see just a glimpse of him in a new Universal telling of Conan and a great way to introduce him to an audience unaware of Elric's existence.

Thanks for reading and hopefully considering. I hope you are well

Limbo

Arnold? Conan???? I guess it's a little late for April Fools day but I was checking the date of the article...

Comment

Count me among those stunned at the serious proposition of making another Conan movie with Arnold! I still feel that we've yet to see an accurate representation of Howard's Conan on the big screen, but I consider Arnold's version entertaining and iconic. If they truly make it a continuation of the original movie (including glossing over the sequel "Conan the Destroyer"), it could well be worth a view.
      “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

What, no Grace Jones?

Comment

Ha!

Well, let's not forget Olivia d'Abo:

I saw it! I saw eet again!
          “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

How could one forget her? The virgin who finds the magic horn.

Comment

I had heard rumblings about this a couple of years ago however I thought that Schwarzenegger's role was going to be a minimal one playing the role of the older grizzled Conan on his throne, thinking back on his past. From what I had heard Ralf Moeller was to play him in the movie adaptation, he did play Conan in a very brief television series http://www.screenrush.co.uk/stars/star-97024/

I am thinking now at 53 years of age Ralf's time to play a "younger" version of Arnold has passed. Perhaps they have found a younger Germanic looking version of Arnold?

And yet.....

They’ve yet to figure out whether the film will be R-rated like that original, but they won’t flinch from the hardness of the period depicted.
              I am intrigued...now

PS: Here's a nice 6 degrees of separation for ya...Ralf Moeller was in Gladiator, so was Sven Thorson, Sven Thorson is an old and dear friend of Arnolds and was in both the original Conan movies :)
              Last edited by Nerfherder; 10-27-2012, 03:59 PM.

Comment

There is some mention somewhere in Howard's writing (can't remember where) of an older Conan leading an expidition to discover America iirc, could make a pretty cool basis for a movie

Comment

Howard hinted at it and Lin Carter wrote a book about Conan heading west, which IIRC was better than a lot of other pastiches and had some really cool imagery. Conan was supposed to have kept adventuring into his sixties, it's not so much Arnolds age that makes the news suprising, as his condition after having been governor..

Comment

They say there gonna disregard the sequels but they (Hollywood) said the same thing about Superman 3&4 when Superman Returns came out but when It was relesed on dvd they put 3&$ out on dvd too. Anything for a buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      There is some mention somewhere in Howard's writing (can't remember where) of an older Conan leading an expedition to discover America iirc, could make a pretty cool basis for a movie
                      "He [Conan] travelled widely, not only before his kingship, but after he was king. He travelled to Khitai and Hyrkania, and to the even less known regions north of the latter and south of the former. He even visited a nameless continent in the western hemisphere and roamed among the islands adjacent to it."

Robert E Howard from a letter to P S Miller

There was also a pastiche novel called Conan of the Isles by Lin Carter and L Sprague De Camp where an older Conan sails west across the ocean - but Howard didn't have a hand in it.

Comment

that is what I was thinking of, cheers Kirowan. I think that could form the basis of a pretty decent "older Conan" movie.

Although I think I may be confabulating with "Arak, son of Thunor" comics, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          There is some mention somewhere in Howard's writing (can't remember where) of an older Conan leading an expidition to discover America iirc, could make a pretty cool basis for a movie
                          Yes, that was the basis for the final Conan book, "Conan of the Isles".
                          Last edited by ozymandias; 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

The Conan outline I did for Dark Horse some years ago was set in America, involving transporting a monstrous fish over Niagara Falls. The editor liked it but I can't remember why it never got done.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Sounds intriguing!

Comment

Working...
                              X