Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Ulrich Of Vaennor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ulrich Of Vaennor?

Hi, im new here.
    Escuse my english, im from Argentina.

So, i was lurking Wikipedia about information of the "Eternal Champion" and i recognize all of the names there (well, most of), but this one did not ring a bell and i can't find any information about it on the internet.

Ulrich Of Vaennor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Champion

It is perhaps some obscure character in Moorcock books?
    Last edited by Raiquen; 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM.

Originally posted by Raiquen View Post
    It is perhaps some obscure character in Moorcock books?
    It's entirely possible, after all there a number of lists of the EC in Mike's books who don't exist beyond those brief mentions; however, we don't seem to have a reference to 'Ulrich of Vaennor' in the Wikiverse either so it would seem it's not a reference that's been picked up by any of the Chaos Engineers.

But looking at that Wikipedia article we also don't appear to have any references for:
    • Vaughn Marquis
    • Sam Bennetts
    • Robert Elliott Jones
    • Paul de phalandra
    • Daniel Patrick Lanman

either, which may just mean we need to do more research. Other possibilities though are they're taken from foreign editions or (unauthorised) gaming supplements or 'apocryphal' stories by other writers. Or plain simple Wikipedia vandalism.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I also noticed the lack of a wikiverse entry: however unlike David I live in fear that Elwher and Guv will hunt you* down and "explain" things in terms you may not enjoy. Or not. After all, consistency in chaos engineers is by definition a big miss.

*OK, sod you - I mean me!

Comment

There's also a 'Dadrico' listed as his consort.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Turns out that Elwher already flagged up the names I mentioned, as being suspect, in this post back in November 2011 .

Back then he said we should get them deleted if no corroboration could be found for them but I guess that never happened.

ETA:

I've done some checking; 'Ulrich Of Vaennor' was added to the Wikipedia article on 12 March 2012 by 201.255.184.149 (unnamed user in other words). They also added 'Gurni Gurnisson (Ulrich's companion)' & 'Dadrico (Ulrich)' as well as editing (vandalising?) the 'Ulrich von Bek' Wikipedia article.

Project Honeypot identifies that IP address as being in Argentina.

ETA2:
          Apart from sundry Wikipedia harvesters, the only other references to 'Gurni Gurnisson' I can find through Google are to online RPG sites, such as this Pathfinder game.
          Last edited by David Mosley; 09-26-2012, 03:22 PM.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I am prepared to argue on my behalf, should anyone wish to have a bit of fun with this via Breaking the Fourth Wall?

Comment

Working...
            X