Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Gollancz announces major new Michael Moorcock publishing project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: Gollancz announces major new Michael Moorcock publishing project

Gollancz has announced a major two-year publishing project to release the entire science fiction and fantasy back catalogue of Michael Moorcock in both print and eBook editions, as well as a substantial amount of his literary fiction.

Starting in February 2013, the programme will bring back all of Moorcock’s genre works including Hawkmoon, Corum, Von Bek, the Eternal Champion books and, of course, his most famous creation, Elric. At the same time Gollancz will also publish Moorcock’s Jerry Cornelius novels, The Brothel in Rosenstrasse and other non-genre fiction.

The newly published books are definitive editions, carefully prepared with the author and his long-standing friend, bibliographer and editor, John Davey. The new versions will be particularly important to fans as they will present the Elric stories in a consistent internal chronological order together with associational material never previously published.

The books will be published by Gollancz as print omnibus editions with a matching livery. Individual eBooks will be published by SF Gateway, Gollancz’s ground-breaking online SF&F digital library of classic genre fiction. The programme begins with the publication of the last three Elric novels: Daughter of Dreams, Destiny’s Brother and Son of the Wolf.

“I am extremely pleased to be continuing a relationship with Victor Gollancz which began nearly fifty years ago,” said Moorcock. “This new programme will make available many of my books which have been hard to obtain in any form and will now be available in both print and electronic form in newly revised definitive editions prepared by myself and my long-standing friend and editor John Davey.”
    Last edited by Whiskers; 08-25-2012, 03:36 AM.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Originally posted by Whiskers View Post
    The programme begins with the publication of the last three Elric novels: Daughter of Dreams, Destiny’s Brother and Son of the Wolf.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Dear all,

Quote (Gov.): "".

Retitles; as simple as that -- you can't say it hasn't happened once or thrice before -- and revisions, to boot...

Best,

John.

Comment

I should have guessed, John.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Welcome news indeed

And more Chaos for Moorcock bibliographers, though you'll have all the inside info John

I'm waiting to see what these will look like. Will they be hardback and paperback releases, like the Orion sets? Will there be anything ultra-obscure for the die-hard Moorcockians?
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Dear all,

Quote (Marca): "Will they be hardback and paperback releases, like the Orion sets? Will there be anything ultra-obscure for the die-hard Moorcockians?"

Well, they'll be different from the Millennium/Orion sets, definitely -- and from the White Wolf ones, too -- contentwise. All thoroughly re-copyedited and (wherever necessary) revised. But quite what they'll look like, I don't yet know.

As to "anything ultra-obscure", I suppose it depends on your definition of the term. There'll be one or two small surprises, I would hope...

Best,

John.

Comment

I need to backfill with Hawkmoon and Corum, so this is weclomed news indeed!

MW

Comment

Fantastic. This might be a stupid question, but will US purchasers seeking paper copies of the new editions need to order books from London or will there be distribution on this side of the Atlantic?

Also: is there any way to get email alerts about the new editions as they're released?
                Last edited by Guzzlecrank; 08-25-2012, 06:48 AM. Reason: Another question.

Comment

Originally posted by Guzzlecrank View Post
                  Also: is there any way to get email alerts about the new editions as they're released?
                  I'm sure we'll let everyone know about the new editions as soon as we know anything ourselves, but you could try Gollancz's own blog newsletter which you can subscribe to at www.gollancz.co.uk.

@Marca: We're gonna need a bigger Image Hive!
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Great news!

Comment

Sorry, Guz -- technically and legally the books are only for publication in UK & territories but it shouldn't be hard to order them through someone like John Davey.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thanks for the info, Mike: I'll certainly contact John for the ones I'm going to pick up!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
                          Sorry, Guz -- technically and legally the books are only for publication in UK & territories but it shouldn't be hard to order them through someone like John Davey.

Good knowing this!

MW

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                            Originally posted by Whiskers View Post
                            The programme begins with the publication of the last three Elric novels: Daughter of Dreams, Destiny’s Brother and Son of the Wolf.
                            I'll have to be first - possibly last - to say that I prefer the original titles of the "Albino Underground" trilogy.

Having got that out of the way; what excellent news!
                            (I've been looking for a good excuse to build a couple of extra bookshelves.)

Some of us heard back at the time of the British Library New Worlds event that something was afoot, at least with e-books, but this surpasseth expectations.

Hats off to John Davey for his sterling work.

Comment

Only UK? A good reason to hope EU to remain stable, and my precious amazon.co.uk to ship to Italy without an obnoxious custom tariff.

Comment

Working...
                              X