Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dramatic Writing vs. Prose Writing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Dramatic Writing vs. Prose Writing

Hi! My name is Erik Vague; I'm new to this forum but Mr. Moorcock has been a favorite author of mine since I discovered the Elric and Jerry Cornelius books during my first year of high school.

This question is addressed to Mr. Moorcock, but if any other members have something to say on the matter, I encourage them to please speak up as well!

I'm currently a Dramatic Writing major in my first year of college, learning how to write for the stage and screen. In spite of that, prose writing has always been my first love. I was wondering if Mr. Moorcock (or anybody else) might be able to specify how exactly short stories and novels should be approached differently than plays and screenplays, esp. in regards to technique, structure etc. Maybe there aren't any differences at all...but I just feel like since I started immersing myself in dramatic writing, I've sort of "lost my feel," so to speak, for how to craft a good prose story.

What i personally find with writing is that you aim for a sort off short span with a short story.. one with a definitive beginning and end being better for small novellas or even books.
    If you are going to flesh out your main protagonists then generally you have a sort of idea what to go for as well.. or at least it could lead somewhere..
    The imagined length to the tale would see to it having a varied sort of experiences. More than in a short story.

Comment

Working...
    X