Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stormbringer !!!!! [Strange edition seen on eBay.au]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormbringer !!!!! [Strange edition seen on eBay.au]

Anyone got any ideas on this!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Moor...item56496ae037

A 1981 Stormbringer? Nope. A Granada Stormbringer? No again (though Granada and Mayflower seem to be often interchangeable). Stumped.

Comment

One for John Davey I suspect. AFAIK Granada didn't issue an edition of Stormbringer in 1981, partly because Granada as an imprint didn't exist then; any edition - in paperback - published in 1981 would have been issued by Mayflower - and would have - afaik - been a re-issue of the 1974 edition.

My guess is this is either a privately bound copy of the paperback - given there's no (visible) title on the spine - or a library edition. I would certainly want to see a scan of the copyright indicia before bidding on it.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
        AFAIK Granada didn't issue an edition of Stormbringer in 1981, partly because Granada as an imprint didn't exist then....
        (cough) I beg to differ David, and think you may be mixing up Granada with Grafton? My Quest For Tanelorn from 1980 carries the Granada name though The Steel Tsar from a year later has Mayflower on the front and Granada on the spine. There was a period of transition around that time when some books were carrying both names (Mayflower Granada).

Can't comment on the Stormbringer printing history as my only UK 80s edition (Grafton) starts at 1985. I suspect it is a library or privately bound edition of the paperback, however, as you say.
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Marca View Post
          (cough) I beg to differ David, and think you may be mixing up Granada with Grafton?
          Ah well, it depends where you look. "Granada Publishing Ltd" existed in 1976 (according to the indicia of my copy of the Mayflower Stormbringer) but 'Granada' didn't appear on the covers until much later. It's entirely possible that a 'Mayflower Granada' issue of Stormbringer was published in 1981 - the Granada 1985 edition (rather unhelpfully) doesn't list earlier printings because prior to '85 it was a different text - and if Gary's discovery is a re-jacketed paperback then the indicia page might be all the seller has to go on. It would be interesting to know when the last 'abridged' edition of Stormbringer was published in the UK. As I say, John Davey may (should?) know.

Originally posted by Marca View Post
          My Quest For Tanelorn from 1980 carries the Granada name though The Steel Tsar from a year later has Mayflower on the front and Granada on the spine. There was a period of transition around that time when some books were carrying both names (Mayflower Granada).
          Maybe we need to review/update our Wikiverse pages for the Mayflower & Granada covers series?
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Dear all,

The first Mayflower p/b was published in December, 1968, followed by reprints in '69, '74 (twice), '75, '76, '79 (unseen), '81 (unseen), '83 (Granada), '85 (restored), '87 (unseen), '89 (Grafton) & '90; sometime thereafter moving to a numbered (rather than dated) system,

So there was a 1981 edition, which could've been a Mayflower, Mayflower/Granada or Granada edition.

The book being eBay'd could be (as everyone's agreed) either library-bound or privately bound. Most British library 'hardcover' paperbacks merely have there covers stiffened, but maybe it's different in Australia. It seems an odd thing to bind privately, but hey, there are some odd people out there.

Best,

John.

Comment

Had a little chat with the seller, the reply is below!

"It is just a reprint last date listed 1981 - it is an odd sized little bound book with no print on the boards, the only other thing I can think of, is that it is a paperback rebound? But that option seems a little far out for me."

I think this clears up said matter.

Originally posted by JohnDavey View Post
              Dear all,

The first Mayflower p/b was published in December, 1968, followed by reprints in '69, '74 (twice), '75, '76, '79 (unseen), '81 (unseen), '83 (Granada), '85 (restored), '87 (unseen), '89 (Grafton) & '90; sometime thereafter moving to a numbered (rather than dated) system,

So there was a 1981 edition, which could've been a Mayflower, Mayflower/Granada or Granada edition.

The book being eBay'd could be (as everyone's agreed) either library-bound or privately bound. Most British library 'hardcover' paperbacks merely have there covers stiffened, but maybe it's different in Australia. It seems an odd thing to bind privately, but hey, there are some odd people out there.

Best,

John.

Comment

Working...
              X