Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Personal Cosmology, the Balance, and the Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Cosmology, the Balance, and the Multiverse

This being my first post of substance on the Q&A board, I hope that, should I prove repetitive, banal, or otherwise unpleasant, Mr. Moorcock and the balance of regular posters will forgive me.

It strikes me as typical of newcomers to engage in a long and detailed accounting of how the author's works were discovered and how they have influenced the poster over time. To be sure, I have my own story along these lines, but I consider it sufficient to say simply this: I discovered Mr. Moorcock's work through a bibliophilic friend in junior high school and, having recently set J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings aside as dreadfully cumbersome and irrationally optimistic, found Elric of Melnibone a breath of fresh air. My love of the Eternal Champion cycle remains undiminished and notions of the Multiverse and the Balance have shaped my own thoughts on literary cosmology to a substantial degree.

I am curious to know, if Mr. Moorcock is pleased to share with us, how much of the Multiverse and the conflict between Law and Chaos reflects his own personal view of the cosmos and how much is an artifice native only to his writing. To what degree might it be said that personal beliefs about multiplanar mechanics and so-forth in our reality has led to the realization of a fictional world in which such things regularly manifest in the visible realm?

Thank you for your time; I look forward to any insight which may be provided.

Hi, Lisa!

Welcome aboard!
    If you didn't already know, Michael is on vacation in Europe right now.
    So there's no telling when exactly he'll be on here to answer questions.
    His latest message to us is here where he appears as "Guest"...

[broken link]

As a frequenter of this site, I can guarantee that he will answer any questions you have if: 1. He sees it (good chance he will), 2. He knows the answer, and 3. It is a reasonable question. Which most questions are. And I'm sure you know what "within reason" means.

--Jer :D
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 08:53 AM.
    \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
    Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, Jerico! I look forward to seeing what his response, if any, will be, and to frequent and interesting exchange with others in this forum in the future.

Comment

Yeah. Stay tuned! I've had some great conversations with him.
        \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"

Comment

bump

Comment

Be a little more careful in future... It's big enough to see... No need to go bumping into things... :lol:

Comment

Hi, Lisa -- Just a quick one. On the plane to Paris in the morning.
              The cosmology actually does reflect the way I see things -- though not in supernatural terms, of course. You get much the same sense of things, I suspect, if you read my non-fantasy books like King of the City or Mother London. Gloriana, which doesnآ´t really touch on the Law&Chaos cosmology also reflects the idea of our struggle to create a balance between the two forces (seen as Romanticism and Classicism, for instance).
              Excuse rather brief reply.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Mr. Moorcock,

Thank you for the enlightening reply. The nature of Balance as an institution, though not necessarily one of a supernatural nature, is fascinating and provides a relatively fresh perspective, in my own opinion, from which to view a world in which most folk abide by a strong "Us and Them" dichotomy in which one faction must triumph permanently over the other.

I admit I haven't looked at your non-fantasy books as yet, but I will make an effort to find time to look into them. Many thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                X