Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Deep Fix CD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah - buy it direct from Voiceprint. Amazon are a bunch of union-busting bastards! (so why do I keep shopping there? :? )
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Having a good independent bookstore in Austin, I can still check out what I want on Amazon and then buy it at Book People or even Half Price. I don't want to see those indies disappear. However, where you don't have an independent bookseller, you have to buy where you can. For UK books, we sometimes buy from Amazon. I guess I'll have to order direct from Voiceprint, then, if they don't send me any ? Or should I try to get it at discount from Amazon ? Now THERE's a sticky one... :)

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

And speaking of BookPeople, maybe you'll do a reading there for Vengence or White Wolf's Son? :D

Comment

Originally posted by CandyFlossCow
          Amazon.co.uk is not always fastest off the mark. Particularly with Voiceprint, for some reason, in my experience.
          The main reason I've ordered it from Amazon UK is because it's ₤1 cheaper! :)

Maybe I'll have to spend the extra sponduliks and get it from Voiceprint.
          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

It'll be up to the publisher, Doc. Of late, you might have noticed, I've done mostly B&N and Borders. Largely, as far as I can tell, because Book People weren't interested. That's brand loyalty for you... :)

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Dear Mike,

I've given Voiceprint your postal address, and so your copies should be en route to you soon. I'll contact you separately, to confirm current addresses for Graham, Steve & Pete.

As for everyone else, I can't agree more with Amazondotscum's usefulness as a resource tool, but I'd sure as hell never buy from them!

Whenever I've posted on Multiverse.org, I've always tried to avoid mentioning the fact the I -- as Jayde Design -- sell just about everything Moorcockian. I feel that a Q. & A. forum's not the place for advertising one's wares. But, given people's apparent difficulties, I think I should mention that I do have copies of 'Roller Coaster Holiday' for sale right now.

Anyone interested should e-mail me: [email protected]

That's all f'now.

Best,

John.

Comment

Amazon are a bunch of union-busting bastards!
                Just to enlighten the unenlightened among us, mainly myself by the sounds of it, what's the big problem with Amazon? I use Amazon UK a hell of a lot and have had no problems with them, save one idiotic customer service rep this last week, but it was the kind of thing which you'd expect to happen anywhere...

Info, anyone??? 8O :? :?

Comment

It's all to do with industrial relations and exploiting the workforce. I shop with Amazon a lot (mainly through the Marketplace) and have never had any problems (famous last words). It does seem a bit ironic to be buying books about trade unionism and workers' rights off them, when I read the following:
                  Union Busting at Amazon.com in Britain

"New Economy" darling Amazon.com keeps its costs down by putting the boot into its workers. They're the Wal-Mart of cyberspace.

"The company - whose 36-year-old founder Jeff Bezos made $20m from selling Amazon shares this year - is fighting back with resolutely traditional union-busting tactics." The Guardian, Thursday December 7, 2000.

Amazon's internet selling and distribution depot in Britain is based in a large warehouse-type building just off the M1 motorway, near Milton Keynes. It has employed around 500 workers since its establishment in 1998. At the height of the campaign to win union recognition for its members at Amazon, the print and media union, the GPMU, had around 100 workers in membership. Union recognition denotes a procedural agreement signed by the employer and the union which allows the union to represent its members and bargain on their behalf to improve their terms and conditions of employment. By the end of the campaign, marked by the trouncing of the union in a company-organised union recognition ballot, the GPMU had less than 10 members.

Prior to 2001, several workers initially approached the print and media union, the GPMU, over work grievances and the desirability of union membership to help resolve these. The GPMU was keen to organise a large and well-known employer that was in close proximity to its headquarters in Bedford. Issues of work intensity, excessive working hours and poor wages along with blocked promotion were taken up by the GPMU after identifying these as the most widespread issues of discontent from its activists in the workplace. Through intensive leafleting and off-site meetings, the workforce was communicated with on these issues and membership began to rise. The GPMU was then in a position to able to ask for a meeting with the employer on union recognition and in a position to subsequently enter into talks in June 2001 about progressing a means to decide upon whether union recognition would be granted. Initially, these meetings were seen by the GPMU as positive engagement from the employer. However, it then became apparent that the talks represented the means by which the company was trying to coax the union into agreeing to voluntary ballot where the company aimed to deploy its superior resources to win the ballot and kill the organising attempt. As this became clear, the GPMU decided not to participate in the ballot and urged abstention in the vote. When the company held the ballot, the union urged members and supporters to spoil their ballot papers in an attempt to invalidate the ballot.

During the talks over recognition, on the one hand, Amazon instituted a 50p per hour pay rise, promotions for some black and Asian workers and established canteen facilities while, on the other, it victimised four union members and held a series of captive meetings. A GPMU official claimed of this period, Amazon had been: 'doing its level best to make sure anyone vocal over unionisation is sacked or given constructive dismissal' (New Media Age 23 August 2001). At the time of the ballot, the GPMU received 23 union resignation letters from workers, on Amazon-headed paper, 10 of which were not from union members. During the ballot, a GPMU official reported he had seen 'pre-printed 'no' ballot papers and the staff were kitted out with T-shirts telling the union to get back in the history books' (Printing World 24 September 24). The result of the ballot was 'conclusive': of the 500 staff, 90% voted with 80% voting against union recognition, 15% for and 5% spoiling their papers. The GPMU received less votes than it had members.

Prior to the ballot, Amazon stated: 'We believe our employees wish to be union-free, but they will make their decision known in the ballot and we'll respect that … We're not anti-union, we just don't think joining a union will help our employees' (New Media Age 23 August, 13 September 2001). Afterwards stated: 'Employees have given this matter due consideration and I hope the GPMU will take their views into account by leaving the workforce alone' (Printing World 24 September 2001) The GPMU responded: 'All this result shows is how good Amazon is at intimidating its workers against joining a union. … [We] always regarded this ballot as meaningless, seeing as it is being held by Amazon with the sole intent of getting its employees to vote against recognition' (Printing World 17, 24 September 2001). The GPMU vowed to continue with the recognition campaign - it could not do otherwise where it sought to save some face and credibility after being 'turned over' by a high profile employer in a high profile battle. Subsequently, it ended its campaign. It may return to Amazon at some future date.
                  \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Oh. :|

Nothing serious then... :?

Comment

Finally got mine from voiceprint today :D

I LOVE the banjo in the version of 'Come to the Fair'!

And the lyrics on this version of 'Ferris Wheel' are ALMOST comprehensible!!!

AND there IS a pic of Mr. M playing his Rick 12-string in the CD booklet. Not holographic 3-D, tho :(

Now I really want to get a Rick 12.

Anybody know of $2-3 grand lying around spare like??

Comment

Yep, I got my copies a few days ago and I have to say that Voiceprint have done a really great job. The booklet that accompanies the CD has some pictures I haven't seen for over 20 years - as Mike said, a nostalgic moment.

Tell you what, THIS is more like I remember the NWF sessions. Can't figure out where these tapes are from though, do you know Mike?

Steve Gilmore
                        It's lunchtime - I must be famous!
                        Soundclick * Songplanet * MP3 Unsigned * Acid Planet * Vitamin C

Comment

Hi, Steve & Co.,

It's John Davey here, compiler and sleevenote-writer for 'Roller Coaster Holiday'. I only start with that 'cos, for some reason, I didn't seem to be able to log in this morning, so I don't know if this posting will come up with my monicker or not. (We updated our 'Net security earlier this week, and it's screwing with umpteen other functions!)

Anyway, you'll be pleased to know that I heard from Graham Charnock, shortly after he received his copy of 'R.C.H.', and his sentiments pretty much mirrored yours (and I quote): "...Just received copies of Roller Coaster Holiday and must congratulate you on a magnificent piece of work. It recalls the spirit of the original work and times much better than New Worlds Fair, which I now see was over-produced and certainly portentious (as Thomas Disch once said). RCH stripped bare is just as it should be, leaving the listener to work it out. I hope Mike is pleased with it. I'm sure he must be..."

Speaking of which, Mike, did you even receive yours yet?

The tapes, by the way, Steve, were found amongst Mike's terrifyingly large paper archives, when I was sorting through them doing a little bibliographic reserarch.

I think that's all, f'now.

Best,

John.

Comment

We pinched a few tapes from Douglas's office, Steve, during one of my many attempts to get some of the money he owed us (attempt failed, tapes taken) but others could be studio and rehearsal tapes we made at the time. I'm not sure. My memory is probably no better than yours or Graham's. I heard a version of the record which John sent, but I have yet to see or hear the actual record. I'm hoping they're in the mail somewhere. I agree completely, however, that this version is much closer to our original conception. Nice to have it, eh ? You'll recall we didn't want Douglas to produce it, but produced it ourselves. We probably needed an independent producer, other than Douglas, but it wasn't possible at the time. It would be ironic that this version actually wound up doing better than the version we first put out!
                            I dropped you a note, John, to ask if you knew anything about my copies of Roller Coaster Holiday. Glad Graham likes it as much as Steve and I do.
                            DF -- I stripped and cleaned all my instruments a day or so ago and the Rickenbacker's as good as ever, as far as I can tell. It would help, of course, if I had an amplifier, these days. That's my next step. But I won't let myself have an amp. until my technique improves. I'd totally forgotten most of my banjo chords, for instance. Have scarcely played in the last few years, mostly due to my health problems. Also the cat hates me playing. The moment I start, he begins yowling. Not very encouraging, but very funny. His attituce seems to be '' If you can waste money on making that row, you can spend some time giving me attention'. Couldn't be that he thinks I'm mating, could it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                              His attituce seems to be '' If you can waste money on making that row, you can spend some time giving me attention'.
                              Must be a common cat thing. My cat does the same. I'll be sitting on the couch, playing, and she'll walk up on the guitar, sniff me in the face, as if to say "Why are doing that when there's a cat here that needs scratching?"

I've been thinking of getting a loan to buy a Rick 12-string, but I need to do some work with my acoustic 12 before I do.

12 strings, but I only manage to hit half of them half of the time :(
                              (been practicing playing Deep Fix songs :D )

Comment

The advantage of the Rickenbacker is the grab lever, which takes six strings and holds them down so you effectively have a six string guitar.
                                It also, of course, has the Rick-O-Sound stereo plug which makes it feel like you're playing a choir of bells (assuming you've kept the bugger in tune long enough). It takes a lot of keeping in tune, that guitar, and is frustrating for stage work! Visual tuners help nowadays, I must say. I still believe I was asked to be on other people's records not for my skills as a guitarist (or indeed a banjoist) but because I actually possessed a Rickenbacker (and a banjo).

Comment

Working...
                                X