Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Michael Moorcock at the Seattle Sci-Fi Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock at the Seattle Sci-Fi Museum

Mike, I went to the new Seattle Sci-Fi Museum last night and was delighted to see you (or rather, your likeness) there!

In the first section of the museum, there is this cool and fancy display called the "Science Fiction Hall of Fame". It is a slightly curved wall displaying an array of crystal blocks six inches square and about an inch thick, many of which are carved with the name and likeness of a Science Fiction great. The wall is backlit, giving it a very classy look. On the right end, at eye level, is a block dedicated to you! The engraving of your likeness is very good.

Unfortunately, for reasons they didn't care to explain, photography is not allowed inside the exhibits, so I'm afraid I do not have a picture for you to see. But, for what it's worth, you're there among Mary Shelley, Fritz Leiber, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Frederik Pohl, Poul Anderson, AE von Vogt, Isaac Asimov, Heinlein, Le Guin, Verne, Wells, and on and on.

There is a blurb about you on their website (HERE) but they do not show the actual engraving. The photo shown is the photo they carved it from, however.

There is also a picture of the wall (HERE) but it is cut off such that your block is not visible.

So, you know, there's another reason to get your bearded self out here to Seattle! :D Thought you'd like to know you're there among the other Science Fiction gods.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Thanks. Nice picture. Pays to get the right make up artist... I got a nice working telescope from them. Very generous.
    Oddly, though, most of the bibliographical stuff is slightly wrong and the issue of NW shown is from a very early Carnell period issue! I appear to have started everything in 1965. Funny, because they use the Encyclopedia of SF as reference and that's pretty accurate!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
      I appear to have started everything in 1965.
      :lol: Yeah, I noticed that, too. You'd think such a high-end affair could afford a bit better accuracy. Would it have killed them to have contacted you directly for a contribution of some sort, even if only to make sure their facts were correct?

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
      I got a nice working telescope from them.
      They just sent you a telescope out of the blue? That's pretty cool... and weird. And generous, yes.

Thing about the Sci-Fi Museum is that it's a bit pricey. I'm sure certain relics, such as Darth Vader's helmet from The Empire Strikes Back and the original USS Enterprise model from the 1960s Star Trek series cost a pretty penny to acquire, but dang.
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Both of you are very kind not to mention the inaccuracies at this site. It's good to know they haven't been immortalized over there. :lol: They'll be rectified within the next few years. :roll:
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

A visitor to the site reports that the URL has changed.

http://www.sfhomeworld.org/exhibits/...p?articleID=61
          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I don't believe it. No Lafayette Ron Hubbard in the Hall of Fame? What the hell's going on? Have Galactic Emporer Xenu and his engram-ridden hordes escaped their ice prison and taken over?

:)

Comment

Working...
            X