Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

hmm, Michael this new film looks VERY familiar to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmm, Michael this new film looks VERY familiar to me...

Well I imagine this isn't set in the same exact milieu as your
    Oswald Bastable novels, but still...I saw one second of a preview of this
    film and boy it reminds me of those books!
    Call me crazy but I feel like we've seen (read?) all this before. I hope they're sending you your royalty check this week!
    I dunno if they've got airships in this movie but I could swear they do...
    complete with painted-on Union Jacks etc. etc. Ah, deja vu!

cheers,
    Scott Briggs
    nyc

p.s. met you in NYC at your library reading a few years back,
    was a really good talk and reading, thanks again for that and
    taking the time to sign some books! I still howl at your commentary
    on Fuest and the Final Programme fiasco!

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
    (from Yahoo Movies)
    About the Movie

Action/Adventure, Science Fiction/Fantasy and Thriller
    September 17th, 2004
    Starring:
    Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, Giovanni Ribisi, Michael Gambon
    Full Cast & Credits...
    Directed By:
    Kerry Conran

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synopsis:
    Famous scientists around the world have mysteriously disappeared and Chronicle reporter Polly Perkins (Gwyneth Paltrow) along with ace aviator Sky Captain (Jude Law) are on the investigation. Risking their lives as they travel to exotic places around world, can the fearless duo stop Dr. Totenkopf, the evil mastermind behind a plot to destroy the earth? Aided by Franky Cook (Angelina Jolie), commander of an all-female amphibious squadron, and technical genius Dex (Giovanni Ribisi), Polly and Sky Captain may be our planet’s only hope.
    More Movie Info

Michael commented on the movie already somewhere on here recently.
    I hate to speak for him since I'm not as eloquent, but he basically said it's going to suck.

Bastable yes. A swipe, but-- like a cold and refreshing glass of soda with ice from a newly opened bottle-- what you actually are getting is the melted ice with flakes in it, having been fully drank, none of the substance there.
    (damn! sometimes pot helps you know? where is it when you need it?)

I've seen the trailer. What's the deal with the dreamy, surrealistic glow about everything? Everything was made to match the animation? It looks cartoony.
    Well that's not the main reason it looks crappy. You can pretty much tell what the trite storyline is going to be like from the 30 seconds you're getting.
    If I could've been in it! Put me in a black SS soldier kind of suit, and I'll roll back my head and go... muahahahahahahaha! Perfect!

Ah, what does it matter? Those flying machines look cool, eh?

As Michael would say, "Hey! That's my TV, you bastard!" As the theif waves goodbye, responding "I like it!" while climbing down the fire escape.
    \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
    Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

I think the entire film is an homage to the pulp era, especially G-8 & His Battle Aces. The dream-like cinematography & Fleischer-style robots only add to it.

I find it more interesting that the entire film was shot against green-screens. From a technical standpoint, this could make shooting certain kinds of movies (like, for example, an Elric film) much easier.
      Best/Mario

Comment

yeah, I figured this had been covered already but...

I couldn't find the earlier thread about this movie so I posted
        my message. The first two seconds of footage I saw of this
        movie had like the airship or whatnot with the Union Jack or
        Rising Sun flag or something on the rudders, and first thought
        that came to mind was "well, either Michael licensed out some
        of the Bastable material or worked on the film, or they really ripped off a bunch of authors ESPECIALLY Moorcock," it's sooo obvious even though
        this film is apparenly set in the 30s during the rise of the Nazis
        etc. Or is it also an alternate world thing? I'm not even certain yet.
        I like Jude Law a lot, so that at least the movie has going for it,
        he's really a talented actor. I wouldn't mind seeing him have a part
        in an Elric movie, actually, maybe as Elric's cousin? (playing
        AGAINST type of course, the antihero thing) He certainly looks
        regal and gallant enough to be a Melnibonean, albeit an evil one.
        Sky Captain so far looks great but less filling, as you guys said
        was the consensus. I'm all far spectacular fantasy films that
        transport you to another dimension etc., but you gotta concentrate
        on the story and characters also a bit.
        Thank god Michael's involved with the Elric film cause I think this
        fact alone will help raise it above most fantasy films adapted
        by other folks. Plus, he's one of the few authors that have really
        worked in film before and know how to do screenplays, which is
        so important. Even Frank Herbert's screenplay for DUNE was
        rejected ultimately as unfilmable, because it was too much like
        a novel and not enough like a screenplay that would flow properly.
        Does anyone know how long the Elric film will run? I mean,
        are they projecting a 3 hour or close epic like Lord of the Rings
        for the first film, or something shorter? I would think only a
        2+ to 3 hour film would really do it justice right?

Comment

Apart from a rather steampunk feel to the film's more pulp-ish backings. To me this has little if none connection to Michael Moorcock's Bastable novels.

Just because a film happens to share elements of a genre or reminds you of a book doesn't mean that it ripped off that particular book. It would be like saying that the Bill and Ted movies ripped off cult British TV Series Doctor Who because both involve a time travelling Telephone Box (or a time machine which looked like one). It is like saying that anything which is fantasy genre set is either a rip off of Tolkein, Howard or Moorcock. Sometimes what appear to be rip-offs are only what the people impose on the text than what the author himself was creating.

This film is more a homage to 30's pulp magazines, serials and old cartoons like Kill Bill is a homage to Hong Kong movies.

Anyway, I don't remember Bastable being anywhere near so heroic in the books. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Mario
            I find it more interesting that the entire film was shot against green-screens. From a technical standpoint, this could make shooting certain kinds of movies (like, for example, an Elric film) much easier.
            I agree it might make films easier from a technical standpoint, but would it make them better? I believe the last film I went to see with a vast quantity of green-screen shots was the last Star Wars film, and that didn't really tickle me cinematically. While the LOTR films may not have been my cup of tea either, I never got tired of looking at those gorgeous New Zealand landscapes.

D...
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

That's a fair question, but I suspect the quality of a movie has more to do with the director than the special effects. :)
              Best/Mario

Comment

Re: yeah, I figured this had been covered already but...

Originally posted by longtrain5
                The first two seconds of footage I saw of this movie had like the airship or whatnot with the Union Jack or Rising Sun flag or something on the rudders, and first thought that came to mind was "well, either Michael licensed out some of the Bastable material or worked on the film, or they really ripped off a bunch of authors ESPECIALLY Moorcock," it's sooo obvious even though this film is apparenly set in the 30s during the rise of the Nazis etc.
                What kind of rip-off are you talking about? There were hundreds of books, movies, comics, rpg's and video games using anachronic airships (most of them with Union Jack on the rudders). Don't matter whether you call these works "retro-futuristic", "techno-victorian", "modern pulp" or simply "steampunk", this genre of SF has been around since the mid-60s. Moorcock was one of the first, but obviously not The first. Please check out my Steampunk Chronology - the link is in my signature.

Comment

When I wrote Warlord of the Air, nobody, to my knowledge, had done that sort of thing before. I'd be curious to see the titles of the books you're talking about. And I'll be happy to stand corrected.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

"The Wild Wild West" TV show (1965)
                    "Queen Victoria's Bomb" by Ronald Clark (1967)
                    "Pavane" by Keith Roberts (1966-1968)
                    Last edited by Krzysiek; 05-16-2008, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I can't see any of those as being commentaries on Edwardian idealistic imperialism, which is what Warlord of the Air was first and foremost intended as, much as I enjoyed the books (never saw the TV show, but saw the movie).

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Besides, the airship from the "Sky Captain" looks more or less like the imperial prussian command ship "Siegfried" from Bryan Talbot's "The Adventures of Luther Arkwright" (inspired by MM's books, of course):
                        [broken link]
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          Sorry, I can't see any of those as being commentaries on Edwardian idealistic imperialism, which is what Warlord of the Air was first and foremost intended as, much as I enjoyed the books (never saw the TV show, but saw the movie).
                          Excuse me, Michael, but we are not talking about your commentaries on British imperialism, but about visual aspects of steampunk and technological anachronism, which became an essence of the genre. Unfortunately, political steampunk is a rare bird these days (if not extinct).

Comment

I saw the preview and thought, wished they had done "Warlord of the Air" instead.

Stop Groveling--God

Comment

This isn't steampunk anyway...it takes place in an alternate 1930's, and has bog all to do with Edwardian imperialism. :)
                              Best/Mario

Comment

Working...
                              X