Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mervyn Peake/Gormenghast/Titus Awakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: Mervyn Peake/Gormenghast/Titus Awakes

http://www.overlookpress.com/upcoming/titus-awakes.html

Amazon has the release date set for July 7

Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast trilogy is widely acknowledged to be, as Robertson Davies pronounced, “a classic of our age.” In these extraordinary novels, Peake created a world where all is like a dream--lush, fantastical, and vivid. Yet it was incomplete. Parkinson’s disease took Peake’s life in 1968, depriving his fans of the fourth and final volume of the series, Titus Awakes except for a few tantalizing pages, after which his writing became indecipherable.

Maeve Gilmore, Peake’s wife, finished the novel, and now at last the fabled Titus Awakes is published in its entirety. Fans of Peake will delight in this new, wonderful tale, published one hundred years after Peake’s birth, every bit as thrilling and masterfully written as his famed trilogy.

Cant wait for this Jason!!
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Titus Awakes

Hi Mike/everyone,

I know that Mike is a big admirer and was a friend of Mervyn Peake. I've only read the first two Gormenghast books but I really enjoyed them. I just saw that a fourth installment is being released 60 years after Titus Alone, prepared from manuscripts that Peake was working on but had never finished. That seems pretty exciting. I'm guessing Mike might've already read this material but I was just wondering what his (or anybody's) thoughts on this are. Why has it taken so long? How much editing has had to be done and how much of the book is genuinely how Peake would have envisaged it? How did he work actually - like Mike -knocking work out fast and not doing much rewriting or was he more meticulous going and over and over the text? (that is how I imagine him writing from the deeply rich and subtle detail that he weaves together to create his world). I am also curious how Mike got to know Peake and how much influence he actually was - not just on Mike's writing but also on encouraging him in his writing career? Well, I guess I'm just in a curious kind of mood.......I'd welcome any thoughts on this. (Nearing the end of the Elric of Melniboné omnibus by the way and looking forward to getting back into some Oswald Bastable soon!)

Comment

Titus Awakes is, a it says, by Maeve Gilmore, Peake's wife and as such is unlike the 3 previous books. I've reviewed it for the LA Times and the review link will be posted here when it comes out in July.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Well it seems that I somehow got the wrong end of the stick......I'll look out for the review. Thanks

Comment

Instead of starting a new thread, it's worth mentioning this here too..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Pye-DVD/d...8341846&sr=1-1
            ‘In real life people do not spend every minute shooting each other, hanging themselves or making declarations of love. They don’t spend every minute saying clever things. Rather they eat, drink, flirt, talk nonsense."

Comment

I see that the hardcover of Titus Awakes doesn't seem to be available for pre-order on amazon. Which is a pity as I'd sooner a hardcover than paperback. Some how paperbacks don't seem very Gormenghast...
              forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
              2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
              3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Maybe this isn't news to anybody else but I've also just found out that a new hardback illustrated ediition of the Gormenghast trilogy has been released just a couple of weeks ago with an introduction by China Mieville:

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Go...8648989&sr=1-1

It is an eventful time for the series. I'm curious about the production quality of the new book and in particular whether the illustrations are by Peake himself. At the moment there are no reviews and you can only see the front cover on Amazon.

Comment

Just tagging this here, since it's tangentially related, but Clare Peake is a guest on this morning's Midweek programme (BBC Radio 4) where she'll be talking about her memoir of her father, Under a Canvas Sky. Listen live (or listen again later) here.

Apparently Radio 4 is broadcasting several programmes about Mervyn Peake and Gormenghast in this centenary year, including 'A Hundred Years of Mervyn Peake' and 'The History of Titus Groan' in the classic serial slot.

An extract for Under a Canvas Sky is available on the Daily *cough* Mail website.
                  Last edited by David Mosley; 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks to all, I will have a read at Titus Awakes and see how it goes, I've pre ordered the Amazon paperback.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread, I've finally got round to reading Titus Groan

I'm really enjoying it, but can't read even a sentence without hearing it as it would have been read by dear old Vivian Stanshall. Now that would have been an audiobook

Mike - if you're still looking at this thread - did you have much contact with Viv or the rest of the Bonzos down the years?

Comment

Jeebus, Tom, but that would be amazing. Thought will likely never leave my head now. Also very interested to hear what Mike's response to your question might be.
                        Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I'm sorry to say I did know Viv, though not well, and I didn't actually like him much, so I naturally wouldn't have the same enjoyment, but I see your point! Bob Calvert told a good Viv story of himself and Mr S, both of them high as kites, but I was also glad I wasn't on THAT houseboat.
                          Can't recommend UNDER A CANVAS SKY by Clare Peake enough. Completely without artifice, the most accurate of the Peakes I knew and full of love and good humour in spite of tragedy. A memoir of the 60s as well as of the Peakes. Tremendous.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Wow!

A must read for me though Time is my total enemy!
                            Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

A Peake at the uniquely fantastical

A Peake at the uniquely fantastical

This month, just in time for the centenary of Peake's birth, we will see a fourth adventure, Titus Awakes, join the trilogy (Titus Groan, Gormenghast and Titus Alone). Sadly, it wasn't written by Peake; he died in 1968. But it's the next best thing, written by his widow, Maeve Gilmore...

More...
                              Last edited by Rothgo; 07-02-2011, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X