Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Just trying to wrap my brain around a few things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just trying to wrap my brain around a few things...

1. So the Vadhagh, the Eldren, and the Melniboneans have some sort of relationship...I vaguely recall reading in one of the books that said relationship may be genetic. But in what order?

Specifically, which race was founded by refugees of one of the others?

2. So we have Stormbringer, forged by Sepriz from metal taken from the Balance. Mournblade was forged at the same time, but isn't the same sword (or is it? It certainly acted like Stormbringer when Dyvim Slorm held it).

But the "Black Swords' Brothers" were not separately forged, but dimensional alternates (like Ravenbrand and Kanajana). But how do the swords from Revenge Of The Rose tie into this...and where did that White Sword (from MMM #12) come from?

I wish I hadn't put all my old Elric books in storage....
    Best/Mario

OOOO stop it.. .you're making my head hurt!! ;)

actually... i'm looking forward to reading the replies to this one. I need an Eternal Champion's Companion in hardcover to keep track.

Comment

I'd actually like to write just such a book someday. I have all 15 omnibus editions (the US versions) and a fairly adequate working knowledge of the entire series.

I do know that "The Dragon in the Sword" implies that the Eldren who follow the dragon from the sword through the portal become the Melniboneans. And I think that the remnants of that sword (the dragon sword) were somehow used to forge the Black Sword, or an aspect of the black sword. I'm at work so I can't look it up right now. "The Skrayling Tree" goes into this a little bit further.

Anyway, I know I jumped in here before Mr M could answer, sorry about that. he of course can provide the best and final answer!

:D

DLackey

Comment

I do know that "The Dragon in the Sword" implies that the Eldren who follow the dragon from the sword through the portal become the Melniboneans.
        That was the scene I remembered. For some reason I thought it was in Revenge of the Rose. Wasn't something similar implied about the Vadhagh once?
        Best/Mario

Comment

Somehow, I was expecting those answers from you. :lol:
          Best/Mario

Comment

Yeah, and Hawkmoon's Black Jewel, and Jerry's Needle Gun, and Durandana, and The Black Lance and and and
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
              Yeah, and Hawkmoon's Black Jewel, and Jerry's Needle Gun, and Durandana, and The Black Lance and and and
              *Poetgrrl's head implodes...*

Comment

What does Kanajana look like? I can't remember. I think it was a different type of sword than Ravenbrand and Stormbringer.

I really do need to see Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer. :D

Looks like I need to go on a little quest for such artifacts. ;)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Poetgrrl
                  I need an Eternal Champion's Companion in hardcover to keep track.
                  Well, we do have the > Moocockopedia < ...

Cheers,
                  Ant

Comment

Myriad Multiversal Mysteries

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                    And what happened to the Eldren when they first arrived ?
                    See Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer!
                    :D

But what happened to The Making of a Sorcerer, Mike?

Another of the myriad of multiversal mysteries no doubt?

Ergon

Comment

Re: Myriad Multiversal Mysteries

Originally posted by Ergonaut
                      But what happened to The Making of a Sorcerer, Mike?

Another of the myriad of multiversal mysteries no doubt?
                      Not at all. See Walt's comment in this thread: [broken link]

Mike has also commented on what's happening to MOAS around these parts as well.

:)
                      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM.
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                      X