Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Tsunami | Earthquake in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wanderlust
    Lemon Curry?
    • Apr 2008

Tsunami | Earthquake in Japan

Woke in the wee hours and clicked on the tube to see this going on. Just devastating stuff.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...an-quake_N.htm

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau
  • Pietro_Mercurios
    Eternal Champion
    • Oct 2004

The Beeb have something similar here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

The speed of the wave and the devastation it wreaks are astonishing. One can only imagine the terror experienced by the poor souls caught up by it.

Comment

• Tom Murphy
      Tea and cake for my lord Arioch!
      • Aug 2010

I'm really upset by the earthquake - we were lucky enough to go to Japan last year and fell in love with the place and the polite, respectful, welcoming people.

In fact, I was just thinking about it last night - This Charming Man came up on my iPod and I remembered singing it at a branch of Big Echo (karaoke chain) in Ginza. The Japanese people in the neighbouring rooms were great - inviting us in for drinks, singalongs etc.

My heart goes out to anyone affected
      Last edited by Tom Murphy; 03-11-2011, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
        gefangener fuchs
        • May 2006

We have a Japanese student as a guest with us and was expecting a new one next week. We have former guests. Luckily for them Kyushu hasn't really been affected. I was stunned to see a town literally washed away a few minutes ago. We haven't awakened her yet.
        Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
          gefangener fuchs
          • May 2006

What a horror! I just watched a wall of muddy water surround an area with cars and junk floating in it as it moved toward the fire. Instead of extinguishing the fire, it carried the fire with it!
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• toothillman
            Citizen of Tanelorn
            • Jul 2010

normally rolling news is repeating everything for hours but this is scarey with scrolling titles like one of the nuclear power plants has a problem with its cooling,a major petrol/chemical plant is alight and they are missing a whole bullet train.
            know they drill for this in japan but this was way above the normal and my heart and love goes out to everyone in japan.
            in swindon we are proud of our links with honda and have friends over in japan
            it really is a oh boy
            come to the dark side we have cookies

Comment

• Rothgo
              Champion of the Unbalanced
              • Aug 2006

Looks horrific. Prayers for all effected.

Comment

• David Mosley
                Eternal Administrator
                • Jul 2004

Maps of effects from BBC News:

It's awful in both senses of the word. Terrible to think what people are going through.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Vazkar Asquinol
                  Champion of the Balance
                  • Oct 2007

This is a terrible natural disaster. Apparently the aftershocks are quite bad as well and are expected to continue for quite awhile.

Now there are reports of a volcano that started to erupt in Indonesia after the Japan quake.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/in...rthquake-91063
                  "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Pebble
                    Eternal Champion
                    • Dec 2006

Terrible all the devastation.

Chile last year, New Zealand earlier and now Japan. Is it the 'Big One' for California next?
                    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Lucid Sirius
                      Jester, ret.
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Pebble View Post
                      ... Is it the 'Big One' for California next?
                      I hope not. Something interesting about waking up in a high-rise in San Francisco this morning to watch news of a devastating earthquake disaster. A friend who lives on the coast about two hours south of SF watched the tide in the harbor suddenly drop 9 feet in a matter of seconds, then the 5-foot tsunami waves came in. There would have been much visible damage along the California coast, but this happened at low tide here, most fortunate. Astonishing to note how connected the whole planet is. And most humbling.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                      - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

• Wanderlust
                        Lemon Curry?
                        • Apr 2008

Whirlpool triggered just off coast:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...rmouswhirlpool

Video here.

Very humbling indeed, Lucid.

edit --- An old friend of mine, living on a 12km long island off of Vancouver island e-mailed me and said: "I wonder when it'll be our turn."
                        Last edited by Wanderlust; 03-11-2011, 10:53 AM.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                          Site Host
                          • Dec 2003

We do look pretty fragile in the face of these events. Poor bastards in Japan are going to need our help. Looks like we're going to have to come up with a fund-raiser or two for all these people affected.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Governor of Rowe Island
                            Orgone Accumulator
                            • Aug 2004

Terrible to see the destruction on the news. It's certainly one of the biggest earthquakes I can remember hearing about and something most of us Brits can't really imagine. My thoughts are with those affected.
                            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Wanderlust
                              Lemon Curry?
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
                              We do look pretty fragile in the face of these events. Poor bastards in Japan are going to need our help. Looks like we're going to have to come up with a fund-raiser or two for all these people affected.
                              Not a bad thought, Mike. I was aghast watching the acres of farmland being inundated by the wave and all it carried with it. Going to take a lot of work not only to clear that land, but to make it arable again.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                              X