Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Neutron [also 'Black Knight's Black Blade']

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutron [also 'Black Knight's Black Blade']

After a spell of sledgehammering old concrete and laying new concrete this morning - which was a lot easier twenty years ago - I did some rooting around in dusty old files looking for a piece on MM from NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS circa 1973 by Charles Shaar Murray (who I know slightly, having chatted with him a couple of times at various social events over the years) that I was sure I'd clipped and kept. I didn't find it, but something else did emerge that might be embarrassing to Guy Lawley. And to me.

Back in the mid-1970s, Paul Hudson - later the proprietor of Comics Showcase, where I shopped for something like 25 years until it closed - put out four issues of a fanzine called GLIMPSE. In this fanzine was a comic serial - written by Guy - that used Mike's ideas about Law and Chaos and whose titular superhero 'Neutron' served the Cosmic Balance.
    I acquired a set of these a couple of years later and, intrigued by the character, drew a few pages of my own that featured him, for my own amusement. The action takes palace at a Jimi Hendix concert - I no longer remember where I was going with this - and while I have no intention of inflicting this on you, I've scanned one particular panel which may be of interest since the third character in it is - or was intended to be - Mike. OK, so there are better portraits of him but you try catching a likeness at that size. It's easier at larger scale, as for example in this portrait of another writer:

http://www.fiawol.org.uk/FanStuff/Fan%20Art/port2.htm

Anyone else out there do amateur work influenced by Mike?
    Attached Files

This is the Shaar Murray piece Rob...? (courtesy of the Image Hive)

I think I have the issue somewhere too

http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...nterviews/NME/
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Rob, we actually have a 'Inspirations' album in the Image Hive for comic strips inspired by Mike's work, for which 'Neutron' would be more than eligible - if the writer is happy to have his work resurrected after all these years.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Marca View Post
        This is the Shaar Murray piece Rob...? (courtesy of the Image Hive)

I think I have the issue somewhere too

http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...nterviews/NME/
        It is indeed. Despite browsing the Image Hive I somehow missed that.

And David, Guy Lawley wrote and drew the NEUTRON tales in GLIMPSE so I guess you'd have to ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
          Rob, we actually have a 'Inspirations' album in the Image Hive for comic strips inspired by Mike's work.
          Having now looked at this I'd like to suggest you add AVENGERS #84 (Jan '71):

http://www.comics.org/issue/23971/cover/4/

In this story, by Roy Thomas, the Black Knight is trying to get rid of his ebony blade, which he has come to realise is evil and has a mind of its own. Sound familiar? It certainly seemed so to me when I first read it fresh off the newstand back then. The blade has subsequently reappeared and is now in the possession - or possessing - another character. I can fairly easily research this if you're interested.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rob Hansen;222926]
            And David, Guy Lawley wrote and drew the NEUTRON tales in GLIMPSE so I guess you'd have to ask him.
            Caramba. I thought I'd burned all those.
            Haven't looked at them in decades.
            Embarassment is indeed the word.

Anyway, if anyone would like to scan a few key panels or whole strips (I wouldn't recommend the latter) it's fine by me.
            Don't expect me to do it, though!

Rob, I didn't know you did your own Neutron comic strip. I'd like to see the whole thing. looks like fun!

For the record, Glimpse was totally Paul Hudson's creation, except I "forced" him to put in some comics stuff. He needed illos, and approached me to draw for him; I said I'd only do it if I could write some comics reviews.

Like many SF fans at the time, Paul didn't cross over into comics fandom at all. (Many were actively hostile to the medium.)

I showed Paul some choice 70s comics, especially the SF stuff like Killraven and Warlock. He fell for Berni Wrightson's Swamp Thing in particular, and within months had started a new hobby / career as a comics dealer. This led to his working at Dark They Were, then Forbidden Planet and finally his own shop, Comic Showcase (my favourite among all the London shops for the two decades it lasted).

I'm afraid it was all my fault.

PS: IIRC one of the Glimpse covers was an illustration of The Final Programme.
            Last edited by GuyLawley; 02-07-2011, 06:12 AM. Reason: spp

Comment

[QUOTE=GuyLawley;222949]
              Originally posted by Rob Hansen View Post
              Caramba. I thought I'd burned all those.
              Haven't looked at them in decades.
              Embarassment is indeed the word.

Anyway, if anyone would like to scan a few key panels or whole strips (I wouldn't recommend the latter) it's fine by me.
              Don't expect me to do it, though!

Rob, I didn't know you did your own Neutron comic strip. I'd like to see the whole thing. looks like fun!
              No-one knew until I mentioned it here. Heck, *I'd* forgotten it!

How about if I scan all three installments of your NEUTRON sequence, include my own (never finished strip), and email them to you? You can then decide how much or how little to post to the Image Hive.

PS: IIRC one of the Glimpse covers was an illustration of The Final Programme.
              That would be the cover to GLIMPSE #1. I hadn't realised it was illustrating 'The Final Programme', but it's a nice piece by you. I'd be happy to scan that and post it directly to the Image Hive if you like.

Comment

Certainly looks like a contender, yes. I'll put the cover in the album, but if anyone has the actual comic and can scan one or two of the interior pages with the BK and his sword that would be most excellent. (Not that I'm expecting that or anything.)
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Certainly looks like a contender, yes. I'll put the cover in the album, but if anyone has the actual comic and can scan one or two of the interior pages with the BK and his sword that would be most excellent. (Not that I'm expecting that or anything.)
                  I doubt I have that one, but I have a lot of the Black Knight's stories. He was always a favorite of mine, maybe because in a world of Iron Men and Asgardians, he was a normal dude with a sword and no powers. He always seemed far more heroic and fought with his brains and a magic sword and nothing else.

Do you want that issue in particular, or would other pages of BK and his cursed black blade that possesses people and sucks their souls do? I know I have some such issues on the shelf.
                  "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                  --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                    Do you want that issue in particular, or would other pages of BK and his cursed black blade that possesses people and sucks their souls do? I know I have some such issues on the shelf.
                    Well anything that illustrates a connection with Mike's Elric stories would do nicely, J-Sun.

I also have very fond memories of the Black Knight but mostly from Marvel UK's seminal 'Black Knight' strip in Hulk Comic - written by Steve Parkhouse and illustrated by John Stokes - which eventually brought Captain Britain back to the fore (ready for Alan Moore to work his magic on later) rather than Marvel US comics. I'll have to check the Marvel UK strips to see if the black sword plays a significant part in them. (Given that Roy T. was a big Moorcock fan - cf. Conan/Elric & the Elric comics - I'm not sure if Parkhouse had the same set of references.)

Comment

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                      Well anything that illustrates a connection with Mike's Elric stories would do nicely, J-Sun.

I also have very fond memories of the Black Knight but mostly from Marvel UK's seminal 'Black Knight' strip in Hulk Comic - written by Steve Parkhouse and illustrated by John Stokes - which eventually brought Captain Britain back to the fore (ready for Alan Moore to work his magic on later) rather than Marvel US comics. I'll have to check the Marvel UK strips to see if the black sword plays a significant part in them. (Given that Roy T. was a big Moorcock fan - cf. Conan/Elric & the Elric comics - I'm not sure if Parkhouse had the same set of references.)
                      I should have something. I bought a statue of him a couple months back that came with an All-About-the-Black-Knight magezine. And I certainly have some of his key issues. There was an Avengers Annual that has quite a bit on the cursed blade, so I'll get something scanned and sent to you. Feel free to remind me if I don`t get it to you soon.
                      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Some chat on his blade here:
                        http://marvel.wikia.com/Ebony_Blade
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony_Blade

Got a good line in having two embodiments too...

Comment

Hmmm... Stan Lee invented the Black Knight's Black Blade in 1955 apparently...

Black Knight
                          , May 1955

Not sure when it gained the ability to 'suck souls' though.
                          Last edited by David Mosley; 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Not sure when it gained the ability to 'suck souls' though.
                            Unless it was covered in MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #17, which is where Dane Whitman, the modern Black Knight, acquires the blade and which I've never read:

http://www.comics.org/issue/22332/cover/4/

then AVENGERS #84 was the first time mention was made of there being anything evil about it. This was a Roy Thomas retcon, which subsequent writers have embellished, of course.

Comment

There's a bit in the wikidedia description that talks about a false blade that has a vampire tooth embedded in it: perhaps then? Or was that to mimic what was otherwise already there?

Comment

Working...
                              X