Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What if Michael Wrote _____?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Michael Wrote _____?

I was reading the forums and one thread got me to thinking about Disney's penchant for taking clasical literature like Hunchback and kiddifying it.... after a few scary thoughts like Mickey as Elric... I began thinking of the opposite... what if Mr Moorcock took some of the old cartoons of my childhood.... Batman and Robin when done in a serious matter fit into the Eternal Champion and Eternal Companion mode fairly well... but the one struck me as interesting was the suddent immage of the Herculiods as a epic struggle of a human familly working to survive on a primative plannet. The funny thing, is I can see it working well... I'm just wondering if anyone, especially Mr. Moorcock had any ideas on how some of these silly characters from old cartoons or comics could be improved.

Well, my cartoon watching days were mostly in the 1940s, when many of them were still in black and white! I remain a keen Fleischer fan and still prefer his two features (Mr Bug Goes to Town/Hoppity Goes to Town and Gulliver's Travels) to most Disney features. I was never much into the DC universe, such as Superman and Batman, and my favourite American comic book hero was Captain Marvel, mostly because there was an element of humanity in him which the others at that time lacked. I have introduced some of my own characters into the Tom Strong I did recently, but that's not the same thing at all, I know. I WOULD like to write a Captain Marvel before my watch in this bit of the multiverse ends. Probably still not what you mean exactly. Mighty Mouse was another favourite of mine, but I also actually identified with Mickey as a small boy and still have one or two letters which I wrote to my mother from school in which I appear to have impersonated the mouse himself... But also at school I was the only boy who'd read the Jungle Book, so my stories about being raised in the jungle by wolves (actually we did have an Alsatian/German shepherd)
    had a certain credibility, until I climbed a tree one day and got stuck and some cynic suggested that I shouldn't have any trouble swinging on to the next one, which rather wrecked my credibility. But I doubt if that has much to do with the cartoon Mowgli, either. Couldn't get away with it, these days... :D

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

No Batman?! Well, I guess back then he was a pretty flat character. The stuff from around the mid 80s onward though, has largely been superb! The Joker STILL remains my all time favourite villain :D
      Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I love much of the artwork for Batman and can appreciate what's been done with the characters in relatively recent times, but these aren't part of my personal resonating mythology, if you like. Now, if you're talking about Dan Dare or even Luck of the Legion,
        not to mention Captain Pugwash... :)

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

When I think of Dan Dare, I'm always reminded of a really terrible Irish joke :lol:
          Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

I assume you mean the ORIGINAL Captain Marvel... and not Captain Mar-Vel.... I always liked Spider-Man for similar reasons... yeah he was strong and fast, but a bullet could kill him, and he had real life problems, including girl trouble. John Michale Strazinski had been writing Amazing Spider-Man and he even made some referances to the Anansi stories (JSM has had a flare for obscure mythology since his days as a writer for the Real Ghostbusters cartoon"

Comment

Not that this is entirely relevant, but I never enjoyed Disney cartoons as a child. I always found the characters slightly hysterical. For some reasons they always seemed to be picking fights with nature (bees, chipmunks, etc.) rather than trying to find a peaceful solution. Donald Duck really needed a massage or something because he was TENSE. My favourites were always the Warner Brothers' shorts. Generally speaking Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck were just trying to get on with their regular lives, but there would always be a hunter trying to shoot them, or an alien trying to blow up their planet! Harsh stuff. They responded by turning the agressors' weapons against them... and they did it with humour and sly winks to the audience!

Er... I'm probably over-thinking this, aren't I? Still, there can be no greater icon for the absurdity of existence than poor, poor Wile E. Coyote. All that money for crazy inventions, and he never thought to order a pizza! Shocking.

Some of you may not believe this, but it's very warm in the South of England at the moment, and it's too much for my pale brain to take. Please excuse resulting gibberish.

D...
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Mr. M's take on Native American mythology in Skrayling Tree was certainly more entertaining (and thought provoking) than Disney's (brother bear, gack). And then you have Dreamthief's Daughter, with the underground magic kingdom, kind of a children's fairy tale kind of thing.

So Mr. M does mine the same terrain as Disney from time to time, but he does it with soul sucking swords and villainous Nazis rather than dopey talking animals...

Comment

Working...
                X