Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

picked up "Breakfast in the Ruins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jagged
    replied
    On a completely personal note, Breakfast in the Ruins has a special place in my heart. A local comic book called Serie-Magasinet ran the boy scout riddles they must have bought from Brit publications, posing problems something like "You're alone in a boat with a knife, two cans of spam, and a wheel-barrow. Suddenly, a giant trout threatens to tip your boat over. What would you do?"

Turning the practical conundrums into moral dittos was witty, but something happened along the way that turned Glogauer from a man into Man... I'm not quite sure what, but the transformation from a neurotic Christ to a neurotic Human sure made it a book worth remembering.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Karl was in an omnibus Behold the Man and other stories which Orion published. It's out of print now I think.
    I suspect I have no more novels to write with continuing characters, though I DO have one or two more graphic novels in mind. We'll see.
    At this stage of my life I feel I've done about all I can with the EC and the multiverse and there are now so many stories by other hands using the ideas of a recurring champion fighting for the Balance that I really don't feel like competing... So it goes.
    It seems Breakfast in the Ruins should have been the book covered in food... :)

Leave a comment:

• Jeffrey Stadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Priapus
    After reading "Behold the Man", Karl became my favorite EC character, and "Breakfast in the Ruins" is a perfect followup. Definetly as relevant today if not more so. I agree.
    Karl G. is one of my favorites too! I still need to get a new copy of Behold the Man from the UK, since the one I had purchased from a used bookstore was rather nasty with crushed cheese curls on the inside. But it was a hellava great read! I read Breakfast in the Ruins first, and it still haunts me. Sure, it's a depressing novel, but very intriguing. I'm just sad to see Karl making cameo appearences in later (earlier?) EC novels without another one all his own.

Any chance of another Karl G. literary book after White Wolf's Son? Karl's tales weren't included in the White Wolf Omnibus editions for a reason, I guess, since he's not really an EC character.... or is he? Either way, surely you have a nifty literary/speculative Karl novel left in you, don't you, Mike?

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Eeek!

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    May I add "Caribbean Crisis" to the impressive list above?

http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespis...ck/crisis.html

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    That's pretty funny actually. Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Sorry, Arry.
    No, I didn't write all the What Would You Do covers.
    Barry Bayley wrote some and the editor (whose name escapes me) wrote others.
    Barry and I contributed a lot to BW during its short run, mostly features on science, history, anthropology and so on, but some fiction. No comics, as I recall, apart from the Would You Believe It ? section which was a sub-Ripley thing.
    We ended up making most of them up.
    The interesting thing was that many of ours started turning up in other people's columns of the same kind. It proved to me that Goebbels knew what he was up to. A lie is the easiest thing in the world to spread. The truth hardly travels well at all!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Thanks, pards.
    I'll be very interested in your reaction, Oren.

Leave a comment:

• Oren
    replied
    Here is a list of some works available freely online:

Breakfast in the Ruins
    www.revolutionsf.com[broken link]

Cheering for the Rockets:
    http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/p...tml?fn,rockets

Furniture:
    http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/p...l?fn,furniture

London Bone
    http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/bone.htm

The Affair of the Texan's Honour
    http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/print.html?fn,texan

The Epic Pooh
    www.revolutionsf.com[broken link]

The Ghost Warriors
    http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=1199

The Spencer Inheritence
    revolutionsf.com[broken link]

Through the Shaving Mirror
    http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/print.html?fn,mirror

Wolf:
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 04:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Oren
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Breakfast in the Ruins was serialised free at RevolutionSF and all the parts should still be on line.
    You took the words out of my fingertips!

Here it is, still alive and doing well:

I have yet to read it actually, but now something hits me looking at the chapter titles:

Chapter 14 - The Road to Tel-Aviv: 1947: Traps
    Chapter 15 - Big Bang in Budapest: 1956: Leaving Home

I was born in Tel Aviv, but moved to Budapest almost 3 years ago. My mother was born in Budapest, but she and her family left their home and moved to Tel Aviv following the failed revolution of 1956 ("1956: Leaving Home")! I'm indeed very curious now to read the book!
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 04:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    What Would You Do?

The What Would You Do? sections in Breakfast were inspired by similar features you wrote for Boys' World comic according to Richard Bilyeu's bibliography.

Did you write all the What Would You Do's (Questions and Answers) that appeared in Boys' World or just some of them? Was it your idea or someone else's?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Breakfast in the Ruins was serialised free at RevolutionSF and all the parts should still be on line.

Leave a comment:

• Priapus
    replied
    After reading "Behold the Man", Karl became my favorite EC character, and "Breakfast in the Ruins" is a perfect followup. Definetly as relevant today if not more so. I agree.

Leave a comment:

• magmox
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc
    The book certainly lives up to its subtitle: A novel of inhumanity, so it's not what you want to read when you're looking for something light and disposable. I read it in one sitting because I found it impossible to put down. It may be even more relevant now than it was 30 years ago. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did (and do).

And if you'll forgive me for offering advice on your personal life, you should hang onto a person who buys you MM's books :)
    Yeah I was shocked...she was like "I went to Goodwill and found a present" and I thought it was going to be moth-eaten clothes!

She's the only girl I know who doesn't run screaming when I put on Hawkwind..although I haven't put on Deep Fix yet

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    The book certainly lives up to its subtitle: A novel of inhumanity, so it's not what you want to read when you're looking for something light and disposable. I read it in one sitting because I found it impossible to put down. It may be even more relevant now than it was 30 years ago. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did (and do).

And if you'll forgive me for offering advice on your personal life, you should hang onto a person who buys you MM's books :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X