Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

BOOM! Studios to publish Michael Moorcock’s Elric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: BOOM! Studios to publish Michael Moorcock’s Elric

Just spotted this on Comic Book Resources:
    BOOM! Studios announced today via press release that they’ve tapped Superman and iZombie writer Chris Roberson to write a new series featuring Michael Moorcock’s Elric.

Elric: The Balance Lost kicks off in July, but will be preceded in May by an all-new Free Comic Book Day edition that serves as a prequel to the new series. The artist for the series wasn’t named.

“Elric is in inspired hands. I’m enthusiastically looking forward to his appearance from BOOM! Studios,” Elric creator Moorcock said in the release. “One of the best writers of his generation, Chris Roberson, will be writing a brilliantly conceived, entirely new Elric story in the grand manner! I can’t wait!”

<snip>
    Here's the cover image:

AWESOME!
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Oh! That is awesome!

I'm really lookin' forward to it!

That cover is outstanding!

What an incredible and pleasant surprise!

Elric: The Balance Lost sounds like it will rule the cosmos!

I'm so happy to learn of it!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but how can a person pick up the May comic-book day prequel? Is it going to be available for on-line ordering or will it only be available at certain dealers' shops?

Comment

Free Comic Book Day

Free Comic Book Day is scheduled on the first Saturday of May...On Free Comic Book Day, participating comic book store retailers give away specially printed copies of free comic books, and some offer cheaper back issues and other items to anyone who visits their establishments. Retailers do not receive the issues for free; they pay 12-50 cents per copy for the comics they give away during the event.
          Although the Free Comics are usually given away in the stores you can often also find copies available on eBay. (I managed to pick up Blackest Night #0, which was given away on FCBD 2009, that way.)

A question I would like to ask is whether Mike will be having any input into the plotting of the series or whether Chris Roberson's being given free rein to come up with the story on his own?
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks, Dave. I'm on Lance Fensterman's NY Comic Con mailing list, and they've already been sending out notices about FCBD. I wonder how I could find out which dealer in NYC might have that prequel?

Comment

A question I would like to ask is whether Mike will be having any input into the plotting of the series or whether Chris Roberson's being given free rein to come up with the story on his own?
              Chris is a member at the site. I'll ask him to check into this thread. :-)
              Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

I can't wait.

Comment

Yeah, this sounds really interesting. Fortunately, living in London means I'm usually in town on Free Comic Day anyway so can pick up my issue #0 freebie then, as I do most years. I see from the release that the story will include appearances by Corum and Hawkmoon too, so it looks like we're in for some serious multiversal action. Nice cover, but we need to see some internal artwork before we'll know what we're getting. I hope they hire an artist who'll do the characters justice.

Out of curiosity, I just looked up all three characters on the Grand Comics Database. For those of you who haven't come across this before, you'll find decent sized cover scans there, too:

Elric:
                  http://www.comics.org/series/name/Elric/sort/alpha/

Corum:
                  http://www.comics.org/series/name/Corum/sort/alpha/

Hawkmoon:
                  http://www.comics.org/series/name/Hawkmoon/sort/alpha/

and last but not least a cover gallery of MM's MULTIVERSE:
                  http://www.comics.org/series/7171/covers/

Comment

It looks like very good !
                    Papi

Comment

This new Elric comic looks like great news!
                      Looking forward to it immensely.
                      The writer zeems to have been well chosen.

Meanwhile Mark Waid has left BOOM! Studios, to work more in digital media, he says:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/1...ital-december/

I've been reading a few comics on my ladyfriend's iPad and have, to my surprise, enjoyed the experience.

Comment

Hey, pards! Sorry for checking in on this thread so late, but I've been up to my elbows writing Superman and gearing up to get started on Elric in earnest in the new year.

I'd been working with BOOM! Studios on a prequel to Philip K. Dick's DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP for a few months when they first floated the idea of an Elric comic. They knew that I was friend with Mike, and asked if I'd be willing to put them in touch. Mike gave them the go-ahead to put together a proposal, and BOOM! passed the baton back to me. Their only request was that I find a way to work in Hawkmoon and Corum, as they were really looking at it more as a Multiverse title than just a solo book. It's only been a few years since I reread all of the Eternal Champion titles, but I wasn't going to pass up the excuse to revisit them again! So I took a few weeks to reread the bulk of the Eternal Champion books again, furiously scribbling down notes and firing off emails to Mike every few days, asking whether he minded if I used this character or that, or whether I could revisit ideas mentioned in passing. When it was all said and done, I had a twelve-issue storyline mapped out, and sent off the proposal to "Elric: The Balance Lost." And we were in business!

I probably shouldn't reveal TOO much about the plot yet, but I can say that the main characters are Elric, Hawkmoon, and Corum, along with two new incarnations of the Eternal Champion, one who has been mentioned but never seen and one who is wholly original to this series. And we'll be revisiting a lot of different worlds of the Multiverse, including the world of BLOOD: A SOUTHERN FANTASY, a particular favorite of mine.

As a lifelong admirer of Moorcock's work (okay, okay, FANATIC is probably closer to the mark), I can't even begin to express what an absolute dream-come-true this project is for me. Now I just have to try to make it GOOD!

Best,
                        Chris Roberson

Comment

Really looking forward to this - make sure Elric is all broody, and stuff...and, oh yeah...see if you can get him in a kilt.

*runs and hides from TF and WWS...*

das

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRoberson View Post
                            ... I can't even begin to express what an absolute dream-come-true this project is for me...
                            What we have here is a classic case of "be careful what you wish for..."!
                            And we're all compounding the idiom by wishing you succeed!

Comment

Very excited to hear about this...really look forward to seeing the outcome!
                              "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
                              X