Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

MIND MELD: 'The Best Writing Advice I Ever Received...'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research: MIND MELD: 'The Best Writing Advice I Ever Received...'

MIND MELD: 'The Best Writing Advice I Ever Received...'

Michael Moorcock is the author of more than 70 novels, including several series that share a common multiverse: the Cornelius Chronicles, The Dancers at the End of Time, Erekose, The Books of Corum, Hawkmoon: The Chronicles of Castle Brass, Hawkmoon: The History of the Runestaff and the classic Elric of Melnibone saga. He has also worked as an editor, most notably for 27 discontiguous years for the publication New Worlds. Moorcock has won numerous awards along the way, including these career awards: World Fantasy Award life achievement, Stoker lifetime achievement, SFWA Grand Master, SF Hall of Fame Living Inductee, and Prix Utopia.

Best writing advice was from T.H.White, author of The Sword in the Stone, etc.

He told me to read. To read everything -- every type of fiction and non-fiction -- and never stop. I'd wanted to write for as long as I can remember and put out my first magazine, Outlaw's Own, entirely written by me, at the age of nine, typing on a borrowed upright typewriter using carbon paper, so I had as many copies as would come through on the carbons. My mother sent me to Pitman's College so I could learn shorthand and typing (shorthand was for journalists in the age before portable recorders!) and get a job in Fleet Street.

In other words, I had always wanted to write. I knew writers from an early age and knew that few of them made more money, say, than the local hard-working GP, so I was perfectly realistic in my expectations. I don't know anything else I would have been except a singer/songwriter, which is what I do when not writing. Maybe an actor. I was thought to have a talent for that. But I'm sure I would have continued to write prose, no matter what.
    http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...%28SFSignal%29

Last edited by David Mosley; 07-29-2010, 03:15 PM.
Working...
X