Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Q for Mike: Title Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for Mike: Title Change

Taking advice from Mr. Mosley in another thread, I'd like to ask you, Mike, if you can spare a moment to let me in on the reason for the title change of The Sleeping Sorceress to The Vanishing Tower. The latter is the edition I read in the late 70's.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Not sure if it was Mike's decision or DAW's, but the title was changed during the reissue/reorganisation of the Elric books in the 70s (as I'm sure you're aware). Just to confuse British readers, the book was reissued by Granada under that title in the early 80s before they republished the whole series as per the DAW editions a few years later.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Cheers Marca. Nope, I wasn't aware of any of the info you've provided. Appreciate it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

And the supplementary question is....

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post

Oh, that Mike, he's soooooo complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by Kesto View Post
              Originally posted by David Mosley View Post

Oh, that Mike, he's soooooo complicated!
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Ask a question . . . get a dadaist answer. I've been served.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                  Ask a question . . . get a dadaist answer. I've been served.
                  BTW, this was not intended as an insult of any kind. I'm a big fan of the dadaists.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                  X