Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Eternal Champion as ebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eternal Champion as ebooks

I love the Eternal Champion series, I don't know how many times I've read them! I've found & bought several of the Elric books from Sony's CONNECT & The Albino's Daughter; however, I cannot find The Eternal Champion books anywhere as ebooks. Are there any plans to release them in electronic format? Or, if they already are released, where may I purchase them? Thanks!

Hope to keep you posted on this. Might be worth looking at Tor's site. They've done the Hawkmoon books and might have them available in other formats.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Michael Moorcock Reader Store

Michael Moorcock Reader Store

by Michael Moorcock; Not yet rated; Published by Tor Books; Publish Date March 01 2010; Hawkmoon by Michael Moorcock ...
      ebookstore.sony.com/author/michael-moorcock_142820?in...

More...

Comment

Thanks for the replies; I'm taking a look as we speak

Comment

For Kindle users, all the Del Rey Elric's are in Kindle format, as are the Tor Hawkmoons, Glorianna, and the Dreamquest trilogy.

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
            For Kindle users, all the Del Rey Elric's are in Kindle format, as are the Tor Hawkmoons, Glorianna, and the Dreamquest trilogy.
            Links?

All I can find is the latest Doctor Who.

Comment

Ah, you must be in the UK. There's more stuff for Kindle in the UK every day though, I'm told.

Fictionwise has all the Del Rey Elrics.
              Last edited by opaloka; 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

New to the site, and just awaiting delivery of my new Kindle3 which should arrive tomorrow. The first thing I did when I ordered it was look to see if any of the Elric, Corum & Hawkmoon books were on the Kindle store, and have to say I'm not having a lot of luck, so are there any updates as to when they may be available in ebook format ?

I've scoured the forums, found a lot of hopeful information, but most of it seems to lead to dead links. Fictionwise has some books, but I honestly can't believe the prices ! As others have said, I'd expect an ebook to be a lot cheaper than a hardback or even paperback equivalent.

I've also read about Amazon and publisher battles, and people's thoughts on both. It all confuses the hell out of me so I won't even offer my own thoughts as I'm pretty sure 99% of the members here are way better informed of legalities than I am.

Are the publisher rights and all the legalese that goes with it the biggest stumbling block of releasing books in ebook format ?

Anyway, after much searching I have found the Elric books in text format (which the Kindle supports) but it was a scan, and the OCR software was crap (Stonnbringer.... WTF !), but I don't want that rubbish. I want a pukka version, and I'm happy to pay for it. In fact I want to pay for it, even though I already own the paperbacks (which I bought from new, not second hand), unless the price is extortionate in relation to my value of what they would be worth to me for the convenience of them being digital rather than paper.

As an example, the Sony book store has one of the Hawkmoon books for sale for $10. That's about £6.50 for 200 pages... Maybe I'm getting old, but that seems insanely expensive, so I guess I'm not just asking if Michael will be releasing any of his back catalogue in ebook format, but if there any ideas on pricing if they are ?

Regards
                Jip

Comment

I can't speak for anyone but it could be with a lot of writers the electronic rights are negotiated seperately for different countries. For the Kindle specifically the fact that there is less available in the UK might have more to do with Amazon. The UK site is a seperate business and was started up much later than the US site.

As for pricing, $10 is cheaper than the paperback, which seem to go for seven or nine pounds in the UK, and this is a pretty recent release. I'm not sure what the problem is. Like anything, if the price is too dear, you can pass or wait for it to come down. Honestly though, you can hardly get lunch or put gas in the car for ten bucks, so that seems cheap for a good read.
                  Last edited by opaloka; 08-30-2010, 08:39 AM.

Comment

eBook availability in the UK is still quite shoddy - and where they can be found, do expect publishers to change much the same as a tree book regardless of your location. There are many moorcock bits and bobs about you can get legitamately for free: see Gov's "Web articles / stories" link in the RHS boxes or try tag search for "eBooks" (you can do the latter by clicking on the tags at the bottom of this thread for example).

Comment

eBooks in the UK attract VAT, whereas physical books don't. Personally I find this outrageous and will not be going near eBooks for this reason.

Comment

This is what really gets me, why should I be charged MORE for literature that doesn't kill trees, bearing in mind how much the govt harps on about "carbon footprints" (and tbh, all manner of shit they don't really give a toss about).

From what I've seen on the forums, I know a lot of the members here don't like ebooks, which is fair enough, but I love the idea. Admittedly, it took until an ebook reader got close to £100 before I was interested, otherwise I'd have not bothered as I'd never be able to offset the price of the reader itself vs overpriced ebooks against the dead-tree book (if the ebook itself was cheap enough to justify it).

I'd still love the Elric books in ebook format, but if they're too expensive then I won't bother.

I know I'm kinda preaching to the stalwarts here, which is also why I am posting because I know there's hardcore fans here as well as the author. I guess I'm also saying that more books would be sold if they were cheaper (and available).

What's the profit margin on a 1.5 meg digital file squirted over the internet for £4, compared to the paper copy that costs £8, needs a few people to chop the tree down (not that I want to take their livelihood away from them) including logistics... and then you have the middle man to take his chunk of the £ ?

To answer opaloka, $10 (£6.50) is fine by me, depending on the content. $10 for a 200 page book is extortionate. I recently (re) bought the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in 2x 3 book volumes for about £11 each. They had about 1100-1200 pages each, which works out about £1 per 100 pages. I'm happy with that in dead-tree format. I'd expect it for about £8 in ebook format.

$10 / £6.50 for 200 pages is not value for money in that context in my opinion.

So, I guess I'm not just asking if Michael will be releasing any of his back catalogue in ebook format, but if there any ideas on pricing if they are ?

Comment

"$10 for a 200 page book is extortionate"

Not it isn't. First of all, it's only extortion if someone is forcing you to buy it. You are free to buy lunch instead. Second, what you are buying is not the dollar or two's worth of paper and ink that goes into making a paperback.

You might enjoy the following:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...-9-ebooks.html

I personally don't quite agree with Charlie Stross about some things in there, but you can be sure of this:

1. A manuscript is not the same thing as a book. Just as a random sampling of 100,000 words is not a novel, so too does a finished book differ from a manuscript (the text an author writes, which forms the core of the book). In particular, about 80-90% of the cover price of a book has nothing to do with the paper and ink object you buy in a shop; indeed, using current production standards, ebook production requires nearly as much work as paper book production. (Paper and ink are dirt cheap; proofreaders and marketing teams aren't.)
                          "What's the profit margin on a 1.5 meg digital file squirted over the internet for £4, compared to the paper copy that costs £8"

From the same blog, 'How Books Are Made'

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...-are-made.html

Which may not be worth it to you, but we all make those choices every day. I happen to think a pizza is probably a little overpriced at ten bucks - but the flesh is weak. A book that informs and enriches my life, and in some cases leaves memories that last all my life, is worth ten dollars.

Comment

I'm sorry opaloka, but $10 (£6.50) is extortionate for a 200 page book imo, hence WHY I won't buy it. 1p per page, i.e. £2 for a 200 page book is a fair price.

You quoted an essay that really was TL;DR. I did read a few pages down, but it wore me out. If a book is formatted for final dead-tree print, I honestly can't see how it isn't ready for digital distribution.

This is the 21st century, am I honestly to believe that someone types in every word of a manuscript before it can be published ? Or do they scan it, and then check to make sure the OCR software doesn't make a pig's ear of it ? Or do publishers now ask that all literature is submitted in digital format ?

If it's the latter, then there should be no reason why the consumer is charged more for a digital copy than a dead-tree copy.

As I've said, I already own all the Elric & Corum books, I just want them on my Kindle (when it arrives). I don't want to screw the author, I just don't want to be screwed myself.

Comment

"This is the 21st century, am I honestly to believe that someone types in every word of a manuscript before it can be published ? "

They do a lot more than that. Those blogs are some of the best and most accurate information avaliable in layman's terms designed to answer your questions, it's your option to inform yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X