Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Swords of Heaven, The Flowers of Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Swords of Heaven, The Flowers of Hell

Ok, What's the deal with TSoHTFoH? If I do find it, it is like $150 and up! Why is it so much? And, is it worth the read? (I haven't found one MM book that wasn't worth the read....)

Opinions please....

More information on this title can be found in the Wikiverse here: http://www.multiverse.org/wiki/index...lowers_of_Hell
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Here is a sample of the artwork.

Larger image can be found here: http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...geViewsIndex=1
      Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgon View Post
        Ok, What's the deal with TSoHTFoH? If I do find it, it is like $150 and up! Why is it so much? And, is it worth the read? (I haven't found one MM book that wasn't worth the read....)

Opinions please....
        Yes, it's very cool.

AbeBooks, sellers have it for $35 and up.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...Hell&x=32&y=19

I think I paid near that and I found it more than worthwhile.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Try eBay. It's a while since I last looked but prices always seemed more reasonable there. Oh and don't be bashful about getting the UK edition (from Star) if necessary. After all, the content is exactly the same. :)

ETA: just to say there's a Buy It Now copy on eBay for $15:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230465265804&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3342wt_920
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Got it through Star! Thanks guys! Can't wait to read it!

Comment

It's well worth the wait, Sgon, story, artwork, everything.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

mines for sale
                dont know if its inappropriate to offer here, slap my wrists if it is!
                was going to put it on ebayuk. mines by star.

Comment

Seems in context to me: but you might get more joy from the ebay thread, which despite the name, covers all online buy/selling stuff.

Since you were so polite, I'll just copy your post over there myself!

Comment

I don`t remember how much I paid for my copy. Far less than the purple-inked autographed Return to Melnibone. But 35 to 50 sounds about right.

I loved it. A solid story, well worth reading multiple times. The format does the story justice, and it's a great read that kind of squeezes in the chronology between The Phoenix in Obsidian and The Dragon in the Sword. One of Mike's most evocative stories.
                    "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                    --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

I suspect the only reason it hasn't been reprinted is because few people know about it. I agree. It would be a great reprint. Chaykin at the top of his 1st period game!
                      m

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

If they do reprint, perhaps they can get the binding right as my text pages have fallen away from the cover.

I think I got my copy in the 80s from a discount book shop in Bristol.
                        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

I recently snapped one of these up off of ebay for only £6 total!

No other bidders which was a nice surprise ... and in very nice , clean condition too!!

Comment

Iirc, I got mine for less than the cover price off eBay. In good nick, too. There are still some bargains out there, if you're patient.
                            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

In the new book, Howard Chaykin: Conversations, a collection of interviews with Chaykin spanning his long career in comics, Chaykin discusses Swords of Heaven at length. A very cool book.

Comment

Working...
                              X