Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Question for Mike about Zenith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Mike about Zenith...

A while ago you wrote:

Originally Posted by Michael Moorcock
    I think I've forgotten to mention that fans of Monsieur Zenith and Sexton Blake might like to know that a 754 page anthology edited by George Mann and introduced by me is now out from Snow Books, 15 pounds from Wate4rstones and just short of 9 pounds from Amazon, this is incredibly good value, containing the original illustrations and some of the best stories from the detective's long prewar career (considered his golden age). The Zenith story, A Duel to the Death, is the first ever written about him (1919) and the second story, A Mystery in Motley, is written in the first person of Zenith himself. There's Mdlle Yvonne, Huxton Ryman, Professor Kew, George Marsden Plummer and many other favourite adversaries. The best Blake compendium yet.
    This is what I was reading as a lad and out of which came Elric and The Metatemporal Detective. Highly recommended!
    And...

Originally Posted by Michael Moorcock
    Well, I'm sure other Zenith fans will be glad to work something out with copies. I shall be writing a Blake/Zenith story of some sort for an antology of original Blake stories some of us are putting together, courtesy IPC, who hold the copyright on Blake (though not on M. Zenith himself -- Skene was by no means the only Blake author to use his villains in and out of their Blake stories). But this time we wanted to do 'proper' Blake stories. Probably out next year.

Is your story that you mention in the second quote appearing in the George Mann book - or another, upcoming book??

Also, how do I get my stinkin' paws on that Mann book?

Thankies, as always, sir!

das

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
    The book's called Sexton Blake: Detective das, and is available new through Amazon UK. (Amazon US only have it as being available from 3rd-party sellers in the UK and US rather than direct.)
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
      The book's called Sexton Blake: Detective das, and is available new through Amazon UK. (Amazon US only have it as being available from 3rd-party sellers in the UK and US rather than direct.)
      And Amazon.ca.

And an odd mistake (I hope!) on Amazon.com (U.S., under "13 new") indicates a price, from one seller, of $1,719.24 + $3.99 shipping. Hm. Sounds a tad steep!
      Last edited by Kesto; 06-20-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks, guys...but is Mike's Zenith story in that book?

das

Comment

Actually I've agreed to write two Zenith stories. One's a straight Blake story and the second's just Zenith. Neither has been written and neither anthology has been scheduled yet.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thanks, guys...but is Mike's Zenith story in that book?
            As Mike says, no. The SB:D anthology contains reprints of the original SB stories only.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks, Mike, and David. Now I've got it all straight in me ol' noggin.

das

Comment

Woo! I finally ordered a copy of this book, looking forward to it! Much easier than reading copies of those old pulp magazines on line. I really miss Zenith (just reading a few bits from Monsieur Zenith the Albino)...but - of course - NOT as much as I miss Elric. (God, I don't want to make the Melnibonéan pout again!)

das

Comment

I've been reading Sexton Blake: Detective, and enjoying one particular Zenith first-person story immensely. However, a question...

There are a lot of typos in it - are these typos from the originals, or mistakes made in the copy for this particular book? It's no big deal because I can pretty much decipher what the words are supposed to be, but I have run into a couple rough patches where it's taken me a moment or two to figure out the words. I'm curious - not as a critique of the new book, but because I'm trying to get a feel for those old pulp mags. Were they notorious for typos?

das

Comment

I think the problem was that the originals were scanned in a hurry and not properly proof-read. It IS a shame, since so many of the stories were good and the atmosphere of the originals was retained If there is a second anthology these issues will, I'm sure, be addressed.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I've been reading Sexton Blake: Detective, and enjoying one particular Zenith first-person story immensely. However, a question...

There are a lot of typos in it - are these typos from the originals, or mistakes made in the copy for this particular book? It's no big deal because I can pretty much decipher what the words are supposed to be, but I have run into a couple rough patches where it's taken me a moment or two to figure out the words. I'm curious - not as a critique of the new book, but because I'm trying to get a feel for those old pulp mags. Were they notorious for typos?

das
                      Forgive me for going into grumpy old man mode, but I would suggest that editorial and typo standards as being falling at least over my time in printing. My first printing company in the late 80s had two proof readers, their job was to check all the type set galleys, pasted up artwork and plates that came out of the setting department. They made one redundant in the 90 and the company went under in the mid 90s. This was the last company I found with a reading department.

One of my friends, was a freelance proof reader for Penguin and she was checking text and indexing. Once we had to stop the press for a typo as Tom Phillips ' piece in the RA little green book (or long thin one now) had been set incorrect as a document rather than a Humument, even the readers didn't know that one.

The assumption is that is the art work you provided and that is what we print. There were/are some unscrupulous people who would give you what you want and then when it went wrong would 'suggest' a solution, so charging you twice. This has gone a long with a change in more wide spread use of the print media (for a while at least).

Where the current malaise is down to the education system, I am sure is open to debate; but I think the crux of it is now for example, on addresses do you still put commas? Punctuation is being altered to make it easier to type.

In require to the production of books with typos, I would suggest that for cheap books the corrections would be let go (when I was working in the City, they would allow for re-setting a document 100% or 200% or 300% ).

During my book printing days, they would take two copies of a book and scan the pages in imposition order as they were. These were held as files and would be ripped to the plate setter, so you got rid of the keeping old plates as it safe storage and any need for arguing about why the printer used a bad plate. You could correct typos, but it was very hard. The other option is to OCR, but then that was costly or finally you could re-key the book!

New books would be typed via computer and can be easily converted and reformatted into PDF files for ripping. I think Douglas Adams was one of the first to type-set his own work, probably signalling the final death of the proof reader.
                      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

I've done proof reading and my experience is that publishers are now prepared to pay a lot less than they used to. The less money a proof reader is paid, the less time he or she has to spend on the volume and still make it economically viable.

I've never worked for any of the big mainstream publishers though, so it might be different there.

Comment

Mike, I hate to be pesky about this, but I was wondering about when we might be seeing those Zenith stories you're writing...any word yet?

das

Comment

Mike, Mike, Mike... *shakes head in dismay* Gotta get those priorities straight.

I guess I'll have to just read Monsieur Zenith, the Sexton Blake book, The Metatemporal Detective...and whatever else I can scrounge up...AGAIN.

Woe is me.

*sniffle*

das

Comment

Working...
                            X