Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Final Programme (Director's Cut) at Edinburgh Film Festival (24 June 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: The Final Programme (Director's Cut) at Edinburgh Film Festival (24 June 2010)

Weekend links from www.johncoulthart.com:

Edinburgh film festival to screen ‘lost and forgotten’ British movies including the director’s cut of Jerry Cornelius film The Final Programme.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Final Programme -24 June, 13:35 at Filmhouse 1 - Book Now

* Robert Fuest / UK / 1973 / 89 mins

Jon Finch, Jenny Runacre, Sterling Hayden, Harry Andrews, Hugh Griffith

Science fiction’s new wave hits the big screen, and the future becomes tasty – if a little hairy.

Finally, it’s time to rediscover Michael Moorcock’s eponymous character. See a Cuban-heeled Jon Finch pimp-strutting through a pop-dystopian Britain; a land splattered with day-glo plastic pinball machine night clubs, vampiric seductresses, and an anarchic arms-dealing Sterling Hayden at his most bush-bearded and barmy. As subversive and angular as the rapturous pop Art Deco sets, The Final Programme dares you to bend that gender.

Edinburgh International Film Festival
    Last edited by David Mosley; 06-13-2010, 12:35 PM.

Will probably have to turn up eh? 'Tis my gaff after all.

Comment

Just for a minute I thought this was a new, extended version...
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

With some of the proper plot put back in? Nah. We would need to be in some other part of the multiverse for that to happen!

Comment

Would be nice to see the Hawkwind footage at least...

Can't help wondering if it's sitting in the vaults somewhere or has been binned.
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Edinburgh International Film Festival

Edinburgh International Film Festival - The Independent on Sunday, 27 June 2010

Then there was Robert Fuest's delirious Michael Moorcock adaptation, The Final Programme, which played like an amalgam of The Avengers, A Clockwork Orange and Lindsay Anderson, all put through a glam-rock sci-fi filter. It hasn't dated well, but oh for something this outré from British cinema today.
            More...
            Last edited by David Mosley; 06-27-2010, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Fuest HATED Hawkwind and wanted to use Billie Holiday for the sound-track, which might give you some idea of what the 'director's cut' might be like.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Hawkwind can be seen briefly on my dvd version of TFP.
                It happens right near the end of Jerry's napalm meeting with Shades in the pinball arcade.
                If you slow your dvd player down, Hawkwind is visible playing on stage in the background complete with Stacia dancing in an emerald green frock...no soundtrack however.
                A Hawkwind soundtrack would've complimented The Final Programme tenfold.
                How's about a remaster then?????

Comment

CineMAniac

A selection of reviews and comments about The Final Programme film (not all of them dismissive - though Mr Moorcock might not agree with the comment that it was "Adeptly written, directed and designed in an appropriately baroque and garish style by Robert Fuest"!) can be found at http://elibaba.biz/archives/the-final-programme.html.
                  Last edited by David Mosley; 08-20-2010, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Edinburgh 2010 supplementary : AFTER THE WAVE | Neil Young's Film ...

Edinburgh 2010 supplementary : AFTER THE WAVE | Neil Young's Film Lounge

A selection of films seen in After the Wave, a sidebar at the 2010 Edinburgh Int’l Film Festival showcasing underappreciated British features from 1967-1979 (curator: Niall Greig Fulton)

THE FINAL PROGRAMME : aka The Last Days of Man On Earth : UK 1973 : Robert Fuest : 84m :{18/28}

Surprising to discover that The Final Programme should be the only time a novel by wildly prolific British fantasy/science-fiction legend Michael Moorcock has been adapted for either big screen or small. Which means that Jon Finch remains the sole actor to have incarnated Moorcock’s most famous creation, Jerry Cornelius: a globe-trotting, nattily-attired, glamorously louche missing-link between Doctor Who and Austin Powers.

With his sneering, self-regarding charisma and sardonically jaded hauteur, Finch’s Cornelius is a magnetically off-beat sort of hero and it’s great fun watching him interact (playing it pretty straight, given the circumstances) with the gallery of grotesques, oddballs and exquisites who make up the cast – including some ripe character-acting from the craggily reliable likes of Sterling Hayden, Patrick Magee, Graham Crowden, George Colouris, Hugh Griffith, and so on. These weirdos keep cropping up as Cornelius stumbles across a nebulous, nefarious plot involving sinister scientists, his own renegade, loose-cannon brother (Derrick O’Connor) and a femme fatale (Jenny Runacre) who is, it seems, quite literally a man-eater. Highlight is a mano-a-mano combat scene near the end which operates at a Batman-like ker-pow, ker-crunch level and sees Cornelius tossing off a string Mockney quips as he seeks to prevent his black nail-polish from chipping and his shirt-ruffles from crimping.

The modishly bizarre, nightmare-logic plot is, despite its essential slenderness (not that much really happens), a bit tricky to follow, and the pace does slacken towards sluggishness from time to time. But diversions are plentiful – not least writer/director Fuest’s own deliriously over-the-top and opulently futuristic production-design, taking things an elaborate step further from the flights of baroque retro-fancy that marked his two Doctor Phibes pictures. And the psychedelically FX-heavy climax, lampooning Kubrick’s 2001 and prefiguring Ken Russell’s Altered States, concludes (the by now thoroughly wigged-out) proceedings on a note of irresistibly histrionic conceptual loopiness.
                    www.jigsawlounge.co.uk/film/reviews/afterthewave/
                    Last edited by David Mosley; 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X