Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Anne Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anne Rice

Mr Moorcock,

I have long been curious about what you think of Anne Rice's work. It seems to parallel yours a bit too much. Lestat (a vampire) has a character very similar to Elric and even becomes bone white in one novel. Additionally, she wrote a book called Taltos that tells the story of a pre-human race that is almost the same as the story of Corum. It seems more than just coincidence that two authors would come up with two stories that share so many elements. I'm curious about your thoughts.

Anyway, I have to thank you for all of your writing as it influenced the person that I became. I got a very humanistic message from your work and I believe that it contributed to my becoming a psychologist. You added a lot of complexity and gravity to my thinking as a young man.
    I also enjoy doing a bit of writing in my spare time. But, I really enjoy waiting for your next work to come out then finding and reading it. It is a simple pleasure to be excited about something like a book.
    I have noticed from my 15 years experience as a psychotherapist that it is the simple pleasures that really fight off gloominess and depression. Books and dreams about fantastic ways of life provide a lot of relief for people that have less than fantastic lives. That's why I think that Elric is so loved by many. His life is a bit like a regular person's.
    I don't want to go on and on but I hope that you are retiring for good reasons rather than boredom with the genre. I believe that your work is on par with Voltaire in its ability to present philosophical concepts in an enjoyable format.
    No matter what you do you will always have a fan here!
    Thanks!

Thanks and sorry for belated reply. I've never read Ann Rice. Not a word! To be honest, I don't read much fantasy at all, though I have some enthusiasms among modern writers, of course. They tend to be more like China Mieville, Jeff Vandermeer, K.L.Bishop and Jeff Ford, doing something a bit more original with the form. Few vampire stories interest me, as such, though I've much enjoyed Quinn Yarbro's.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
    X