Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Site Navigation Tweak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Info: Site Navigation Tweak

May 3rd I spent a couple of hours experimenting with our navigation system. I'm not a big fan of right-side navigation myself, but it came to our attention that the navigation gobbles up the reading space of smaller resolutions/screens. Putting it on the right gives the reader maximum reading space, which reduces side-scrolling. Side-scrolling is a pain for those of you who have never had to do it.

Why the navigation column at all you may ask. The answer is that other parts of the site are not well known to new members or unique visitors (a user just passing by). It is our hope that other parts of the site will be better known thanks to this new column. The front of the site is now united with the forum. Unfortunately we cannot do the same for the Wikiverse or the Image Hive.

Hopefully you like the change. If you hate the change you have only me to blame. I have always intended it to be this way for the benefits are many.

Thanks,
    Mr. The Fox
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Looks good to me ..

There's a couple of other sites I wander off to sometimes that use a pop-out type of menu that appears from the left-hand edge when you mouse over in that area .. that works OK too.

I don't know how it's done myself .. but there's some examples here under 'Menu's & Navigation' ... http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ ..

Comment

Thanks Pikey. Those look interesting but due to the complex of this portal not really feasible for us due to time constraints and the agony of software updates.

Comment

Feels like I fell into a mirror universe...multiverse.

Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

This is an unfortunate change, in my opinion: it puts the forum off-center for most monitors, I would think.

Comment

That is true. Aligned left is hopefully better than aligned right for people with small monitors, that means less off center. It also favors content over navigation.

Comment

I don't like it, but if it prevents some people from having to side scroll to read posts, I'm sure I can put up with it.

Comment

What would be the nature(s) of your dislike (if that isn't too strong a word)?
                Some options might be (but don't limit yourself):
                • Text too narrow?
                • Prefer text left / centred / right aligned?
                • Prefer navigation (the column with thinks) left / right / top/ bottom / other?
                • What part of the site's layout is better / worse / same (front page, forum views, thread view (i.e. this one right now), others)?
                • Others?

We do know that lots of folks jump straight into the site, not visiting the front page, and as a result, the wiki / imagehive / mediahive have nothing like the exposure they should - certainly to a google search in/out trip from a new person. But we want them to like what they see when they get here too!

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                  What would be the nature(s) of your dislike (if that isn't too strong a word)?
                  Having the extra boxes makes the page look cluttered. However, if they do have to be there, I would much rather they were on the right as they are now.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. We're going to keep the navigation on the right for a while. It would be a crying shame to lose you guys as readers due to this change. It definitely looks unusual after 4 years without it like this, but this will raise the profile of the other parts of the site. I am especially hopeful that the Wikiverse will have it's profile raised.

Comment

I've broken that large box up into smaller boxes. Hopefully that's easier on the eyes.

Comment

Oi! I sent 20 mins doing the same thing.
                        On a picture rather than the real thing mind you.
                        See attached.
                        Same idea - smaller boxes are more focused.
                        Also, it allows the names to be shrunk a bit, which then allows the RHS col to be narrowed even more.

Minds thinking alike indeed, alas I can't make any claims to "great"!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well its worked for me as i have already checked out parts of the site that i wasnt aware of.
                          I've always came in via email link so have rarely seen the page that this stuff is on.
                          It was weird for the first few times but then again arent we all!!
                          Good idea guys!
                          Last edited by thingfish; 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM. Reason: 'interesting' spelling!!
                          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Wow. Captain Oblivious here. I didn`t even notice the change.
                            Obviously it hasn`t inconvenienced me in the slightest.
                            "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                            --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Working...
                            X