Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

April Fools!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April Fools!

What can one say?
    Genius at work.

etc.

:D hahahahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley View Post
      What can one say?
      Genius at work.

etc.
      And with that post you just gained your complete Narsil, Guy.

Did I say 'complete'? Looks like the packaging might have been rather substandard. Sorry about that.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

They most certainly do not Lord Sauron.
        They can't even spell it.
        Grammatically at any rate.

Comment

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley View Post
            What can one say?
            Genius at work.

etc.
            Absolutly !
            Papi

Comment

Absolutely genius!

Cheers!
              "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
              --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Best of the day, by far!

Brilliant!

Comment

April Fools!

Hello everyone,

Many of you got a real surprise on April 1, 2010 didn't you? If you visited the site, you discovered that we had converted the site over to Tolkien's Miscellany. You might be wondering how we pulled it off, so here's what happened.

At the end of February I suggested to the admins and mods that we do something for April Fools Day, and suggested we convert the site to a Tolkien site. We thought about it for a couple of weeks. I approached Henri Tanskanen, our Finnish friend who created the Moorcock Miscellany logo (with thanks to Rothgo for some mojo he put on it) and asked him to create the new logo. I told David and Rothgo about the logo, and once they saw that I was serious, the ideas started getting kicked around for about a week. Almost every piece was in my possession by March 30th.

Rothgo created the Hobbiton Crescent map, and provided a couple of avatars. David provided the broken sword, the rings, and the forum renaming. I took care of Mike's avatar, and front page images. Then March 31st, I made all the changes. Apologies to our friends in Oz who kind of missed out, and apologies to our friends in Europe who may have enjoyed the joke much longer than the Americans. Thanks goes to the members for pitching in on the joke, and of course, thank you all for your expressions of enjoyment. Special apologies to our moderators who were kept in the dark, but adding more than just Mike's profile change (and our own) would have complicated things. Also, we wanted them to be able to enjoy the joke. I know I speak for Rothgo and David, when I say it was our pleasure to pull this stunt. Thanks to Mike for joining in the fun. You cannot imagine the pleasure I got from doing this, and I know that we probably will never be able to top this, if I do say so myself.

Many of you replied to the email I sent, and without mentioning names, we caught a few of you with our joke. To those of you who missed it, we regret we didn't get the chance to fool you, but thought you might like to see what the site looked like on April 1st.

Happy April Fools Day everyone!

Forum's main page transformed into Tolkien's Miscellany.

A sampling of the forums that changed for the 1st.

Reinart der Fuchs took Bilbo Baggins for the day, and David Mosley became Sauron.

Rothgo went with Farmer Maggot.

Members posed questions to Michael Moorcock who was disguised as J.R.R. Tolkien.

The front page got a redress.

"Sexiest Member of the Fellowship" poll in action, look like Gandalf took it.

Most everyone recieved this email.

A game of Hobbiton Crescent was created for this prank.

A sampling of threads created for the day.

Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM.
                  Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words.
                    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Incredible! Magnificent! Couldn't post from work, but I could read it! A masterpiece!!!!
                      Kevin McCabe
                      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

It got me!

A superb prank!

Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Brilliant.
                          Sad that internet was down for the day.
                          I blame Topeka. Jerks!
                          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron View Post

You know, there's a cream for that these days, o great flaming lidless eye, right? It helps the burning subside.
                            "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                            --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Great!

I'm sorry I missed it, but then I'm usually a poor April's fool. I do really appreciate a well-crafted prank though, and this was certainly worth a good laugh, even in its wake.

Comment

Working...
                              X