Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Point Reyes [Meeting Mike at book signing]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Reyes [Meeting Mike at book signing]

Tomorrow Evening...

Woohoo :!:
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

MICHAEL MOORCOCK CALLED ME A BASTARD!!!

"You bastard!" - Michael Moorcock (7-17-04)

At Point Reyes, Michael called me a bastard!

But let's start closer to the beginning first...

Jerico, the Travel Writer's post:

I made the trek to Northern Cali starting on Friday
    morning. It took me a little over 8 hours to get to Berkeley, CA
    to my friend Rebekah's house. She's an anthropology
    student at UC Berkeley.

What a grueling drive! Much of the way is pure California-- meaning chaparral semi-desert! Hot Hot!! Eck!
    Once you get to Berkeley, you get that cool ocean breeze and everthing goes from Hell to Honkey Dorey! Got there sometime after 5pm.
    Got a mini-tour of Berkeley and had a spinach, mushroom, and cheese crepe from Crepes a Go Go! An interracial couple walked out, holding hands,while we munched on the delicious cuisine. The sun didn't go completely down until after 9pm. Strange for me as in San Diego, it's dark shortly after 8.

I was tired and needed the rest and so went to bed around 9:30ish while Rebekah continued her studies at the Starbuck's with her roomie and they went for groceries also.

I awoke around 1 am realizing that I was under siege from mosquitoes, and so I closed the two windows and killed the two that were in the room with me and went back to sleep after looking and reading through a Hieronymous Bosch book.

In the morning I kicked back with my firends and we had breakfast burritos. Rebekah studied and I rested well before we began to head off for the 7:30 booksigning. She criticized my first choice of an outfit, and then I changed into my usual decent looking casual wear to her approval.
    We left shortly after 3 pm and headed West on I-580, over the bridge and to the rural area (The Boondocks!) where Point Reyes is.

The drive through a forest's winding mountain roads reminded me of Cuyamaca forest close to my home. How would Mike describe it? The old winding rode straddled by groves of eldars and poplars, stood in silent lucidity, their untouched decades of existence. Well, I don't know about those kind of trees, but certainly they were woods of the tallest California conifers and such.

Eventually we got to the tiny Old West kind of town that is Point Reyes (population 350). We drove by the bookstore and went on to try to go see the seashore since it was not even 5pm yet.

It was an 8 mile drive to the sea, and it appeared as though we had to drive up and over a mountain or two to get there, so we decided to stop.
    From near the top of a mountain, we took a few pictures and then headed back from where we came to go dine.

I chose the decent looking cafe/ restaurant on the corner of town. Rebekah said she had a craving for Mexican food, and it turned out that the menu was mostly Southwestern style Mexican food. She had the fish burrito and I had the ranchero burrito. They were huge and came with a side order of tortilla chips. My burrito was big enough to fill the gut of Smiorgan Baldhead. It was a large flower tortilla stuffed with pork, rice, beans and salsa, served wet with a ranchero sauce and spicy with jalapeno peppers on top. I was very pleased with it and managed to eat all of it. Ouch, my belly!

After dinner we sat at a table outside and I really soaked everthing in. The beautiful setting, the cool ocean breeze, the warm sun, and I smiled thinking that the trek was worth it already.

We walked around the main strip before heading to the bookstore. I chatted with the store owners, telling them about the MWM message board community and how we are all united by our love for Micheal. I assumed that the owners were a husband and wife partnership. They were impressed to see how some of us would drive such great distances for the signing.

As I was looking at the Moorcock section, I got tapped on the shoulder to see our Poll Editor, MJR (Marc). We had met previously of course, and chatted. We looked like tourists with our cameras hanging from our necks. I decided to buy a copy of London Bone, under Marc's suggestion.

As the time drew near, Rebekah and I, and Marc and his girfriend were seated at the two benches in front of the store. I was excited and we were having an enthused conversation about the event soon to unfold.
    I likened it to seeing Led Zeppelin playing in a small club like the Whiskey a Go Go!

As we chatted, we scarcely noticed the Lexus SUV that pulled up to the curb. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a tall man man step out of the car, then I reallized who it was. I gestured to Marc and we both watched, smiling, as Mike, with cane in hand, walked into the book store. Linda had already entered the store. (They are both tall.)
    I almost said, "Hi, Mike!" but was too restrained. We were excited of course.

It was now almost 7:30 and we picked our seats. By then both store owners came up to me and said, "You should say hi to him." Shortly thereafter as I saw Mike was going to step outside for some air, I said, "Hi!" and introduced myself. And then I did the same when I saw Linda. I had a good conversation with her and then with her and Mike.
    From them I learned that Berry Sizemore and Chris Handy were in town also. They got there a little late though.

Believe it or not, there was a dog wearing a T-shirt (a retriever I believe) walking around the store. Mike, sitting, grumbled, "Grrr!" into the mic, and the mascot went scuttling off, and so the the reading began on a good note, with laughter.

Mike read from Gloriana which has been re-released with some editing in this version. Shortly after was the Q&A. Marc was the first to ask a question about the new Gloriana edition. I was one of the last to ask a question when it seemed that everyone was done.
    I raised my hand and asked, "How's the last Elric book coming along?"

"You bastard!" Michael responded. "I thought you were a nice guy! ?"

"I AM a nice guy! I'm your biggest fan!" I smiled.

"Why don't you write it?" he quipped.

It was all in good humor of course. (It was good to see Mike laugh throughout the Q&A session.) I guess it's true that Mike's having a rough time with White Wolf's Son. He said most of it is written out like a manuscript so far. As most of us know, it's more challenging at this point to keep the Elric fanstasy fresh. Hopefully, the slow process will result in great rewards for all of us when we finally get the finished product.
    So Q&A done, the signing began. During that time, I took the oppurtunity find, meet, and chat with Berry and Chris. Their trip from Washington, was an 18 hour journey! Upon meeting Berry, I'd say that his avatar doesn't do him justice. He's better looking than that pumpkinhead avatar!

Then I went in line for the signing, I was one of the last. Mike signed all five of the books I had: London Bone, Dreamthief's Daughter, Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Quartet hc), Elric of Melnibone (Blue Star hc), and The Vanishing Tower (Archival hc).
    After the signing, group pictures were taken. I'm sure you'll all get to see some of them soon!

--Jerico R.
    \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
    Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Re: MICHAEL MOORCOCK CALLED ME A BASTARD!!!

Originally posted by Jerico
      In the morning I kicked back with my firends and we had
      breakfast burritos.
      8O And then another burrito in the evening? You have a stronger stomach than I, sir!

Great post, btw, even though I'm obviously hating you right now. Glad to hear that everyone had such a good time though (especially Mr M) and that you managed to meet up with some fellow MWMers (do we have a collective name? I remember reading somewhere that Philip K. Dick readers are sometimes referred to as "Dickheads", but I'm not sure I'd ever call someone that to their face... I know we've had one vote for "Cock-lovers", but I think that might give entirely the wrong impression :oops: ) and I look forward to seeing the photos, if only so I can put some faces to the names of the people I now envy and despise. ;)

I salute not only your commitment in driving all that way, but also your cast-iron guts... so if we all start calling you "The Bastard" from now on, it's only meant with love.

D...
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I wrote "flower" tortilla

yeah. Imagine the petals hanging out of my mouth
        as I munched and crunched on that? !!!!

:lol:

D, how horrible that my nick-name
        could be
        The Bastard Cock-lover
        Oh, man! :?

Comment

Oh, man! That made me laugh.

Despite being jealous, I'm glad you had a great time... Bastard! :lol:

D, hopefully the time will come when MM comes to the UK!
          Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Glad you had fun, Jerico...

...lucky bastard...
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

You should have came down with Berry!
              ---------------

It's remarkable how one of the top authors
              in fiction is so humble.

On Saturday he called himself a "hack" writer :!:
              although none of us believe that.

He basically said that he became a writer
              "by chance." The opportunities were there
              and he took them. He said something akin
              to:
              "if I was close to someone who was a
              master cabinet maker, it's possible I would
              have become a cabinet maker.
              [I can't recall the specific example though.]
              I have been paid to do everything I've done."

He talked about how he is at times not pleased
              with his own work (his own worst critic) and
              carrying on with his "hack writer" speech,
              said something to the effect:
              "If I were paid a million dollars to do a novel,
              THEN you would get 'War and Peace!'" [laughs]

Recalling to the best of my ability-- Jer R.
              \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"

Comment

Jerico

A well written account!
                Before getting to know Mike and Linda, I had the pleasure of attending three signings over nine years. Of course, it's much easier as I live closer to their current residents.
                I'm still jealous, though. I would have loved to meet some of the MWM family. :)
                Except for certain political views, we all get along - for the most part. :lol:
                Mike and Linda are great folks to meet and chat with. Both possess a wonderful sense of humor! Glad you and everyone else had a great time - long journies and all. :D

TL

Comment

Lucky you Thomas.
                  You have taken full advantage of the opportunities.

He might move back to Spain you know!

I'm pretty sure my car can't get to Spain! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Jerico
                    You should have came down with Berry!
                    Oh, man, I didn't even thnk of that! Damn! Oh, well...

Comment

Here's the first pic...

http://www.members.aol.com/Jerricho1...ointReyes3.jpg

Comment

Cool!

Hey Jer, I nabbed the image, cropped it a bit, and added it to the MWM Image Gallery (I'm sure you don't mind). You can see it here:

[broken link]

Keep 'em coming, man, and be sure to point yourself out if you're in any of the pix! :P
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Hey, I just got back. It was great to see everyone. I should have thought about it too, PWV. Hey Jerico, how many books did you get signed?
                          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasL
                            Jerico
                            A well written account!
                            Before getting to know Mike and Linda, I had the pleasure of attending three signings over nine years. Of course, it's much easier as I live closer to their current residents.
                            I'm still jealous, though. I would have loved to meet some of the MWM family. :)
                            Except for certain political views, we all get along - for the most part. :lol:
                            Mike and Linda are great folks to meet and chat with. Both possess a wonderful sense of humor! Glad you and everyone else had a great time - long journies and all. :D

TL
                            I've also been to three signings (in three years), but I'm in their backyard, too. I'm not sure there are two people who are more generous with their time than Mike and Linda. They stayed to answer every question and sign every scrap of paper put in front of Mike.

I'm glad you guys got to hang out a little, too. Sounds like fun. I liked your account of things, Jer, and like everyone else, I admire your gastrointestinal fortitude. :D Keep those pictures coming, you Bastard!

In response to Dee--
                            If PKD's fans are "Dickheads," wouldn't it be logical for us to be "Cockheads?" No more flattering than his suggestion of cock lovers, I guess.

Comment

5 books, Berry. I listed them in the last part of my anecdote above.

He signed all of them! I forgot to bring my hc Death is no Obstacle though!
                              Oh well, maybe if there's a next time...

============
                              Oh yeah. In that pic posted above,
                              Mike is ripping open a new wrapped book of MJR.
                              You can see a slice of MJR's face on the left,
                              and the back of his girlfriend's head.

--Jer

Comment

Working...
                              X