Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A book a week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A book a week...

I apologise in advance if this question has been asked before, but I could not find anything in a search.

Can someone tell a struggling writer how Mr. Moorcock can, as I have heard, turn out a book in a week? I'm lucky to do one in a year. :roll:

Is the secret in the preparation? Does he mull the idea over for several months until it is all clear in his mind? I have heard he has a mathematical approach but I still don't see how such fast writing can be accomplished.

I've talked about this quite a bit. It has to do with structuring, I think, and a natural sense of structuring as you go. I can't turn out books in three days, as I used to. It takes several weeks for even the shortest, these days. Average is about three months now.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

You must have a lot of it planned out in your mind though - the characters' profiles and a general idea of the plot? Do you have any sort of novel template for your structuring? I am afraid I get excited about a single idea and just plough ahead, hoping the story will unravel naturally. (It does, but it takes a while).

Also, I have found with writing short stories that the hardest thing is to find a satisfying ending. I try not to go with the first one I think of, but still some of my stories fall flat. Any hints?

Comment

Hey, Captain!

I'm currently working on a novel myself and actually find that having smaller projects on the side can help. I can explore certain ideas with a different set of characters and then implement them into the main event, if you like. Also, I think it helps to refine a writing style.

I could be talking complete trash, but hey, it works for me! :)
        Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Thanks Bob - hey whatever works for you!
          I really want to find out how to write fast and well because I have so many more ideas than I have writing speed - it seems a shame that it just takes so long to translate the pictures in my head onto paper.
          Orson Scott Card said he was able to write "Ender's Game" in a mind-boggling two days, although he worked on it in his head for two years. The best I have done is 17 chapters in a month.

It just seems like some many other writers can do it...what is the secret? It has to be more than just structural organisation.

Comment

I'm starting to suspect it's natural talent. Mike's a born storyteller. Perhaps it's one of those "either you got it or you don't" kind of things. Hate to sound cynical, but...
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

To be truthful, I'm not overly concerned with how long it takes me to write something. If I'm happy with the quality of it then that is far more valuable to me. Quality over quantity, eh?

If you can perform both quickly, then I'm jealous! :D
              Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Working...
              X